Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was out with some friends yesterday evening and I was literally the only non-smoker in the group. Also, everybody who I got chatting to during the evening smoked as well. When there can be no doubt as to the damage that smoking does to your body it amazes me that anybody smokes. My friends tell me that they enjoy smoking but I don't see how something so smelly and disgusting can be enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    there are different reasons people smoke- habit, addiction, to relax, boredom, peer pressure etc. i live with quite a lot of smokers (really doesnt bother me tbh but i can understand why some people hate it) and whenever i've asked they've all given different reasons. each to their own i guess

ReputationRep:
    Because they want to?

ReputationRep:
    Relaxation or to be cool. I think.

ReputationRep:
    Relieve stress.

ReputationRep:
    because, in all honesty, it is big and it is clever

ReputationRep:
    they think its cool. But I dont understand how that looks cool though. It looks like you're a chimney

ReputationRep:
    Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs around. Most people know how bad it is for them but they find it too hard to stop.

ReputationRep:
    Just transfer to those automatic ones you can smoke anywhere, and deliver small quantities of the needed chemical, and done.
    Nicotine on its own isn't the problem. Its the stuff that comes with it.

ReputationRep:
    So many people smoke, I did for a bit (socially) maybe to fit in with my friends in year 11 - but I realised how foolish it was and the fact my dad saw me and *******ed the **** out of me..

truly deserved neverthless

ReputationRep:
    Recent research suggests that a large number of smokers,30% in fact, have some form of mental illness and nicotine makes them feel better.

ReputationRep:
    very good question! id like to know the answer myself. also, why do so many people enjoy getting drunk? why is that feeling of sickness (which i have never experienced) so enjoyable to some?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patterson)
    But I dont understand how that looks cool though. It looks like you're a chimney

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people only smoke when they go out, so the damage is minimal and even if there is a risk of damaging your health, people don't think it will happen to them. It's also very enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz957)
    I was out with some friends yesterday evening and I was literally the only non-smoker in the group. Also, everybody who I got chatting to during the evening smoked as well. When there can be no doubt as to the damage that smoking does to your body it amazes me that anybody smokes. My friends tell me that they enjoy smoking but I don't see how something so smelly and disgusting can be enjoyable.
    Despite the smell it is enjoyable and relaxing. Sometimes when stressed, it seems that the relaxing short term benefits seem worth the potential health risks. Also because other people smoke its a sociable thing to do, people tend to go for a smoke at the same time. Also after a while of doing it for whatever reason people get addicted, and so carry on. Have you actually smoked before? Because while I agree that it is smelly, you do get something enjoyable out of it, and not many of us are strong willed enough to look at the long term in favour of the short term. Shame its that way, but its the case. Anyway stay away from it because its not worth it, but people do smoke for enjoyment, stress relief or addiction, and its not worth looking down on them for it.

Anon because of family.

Erm, I now get it! Mental health comse into it and also because my friends did it. I never did it through peer pressure but just because I wanted to see what it's like. I'm not addicted but I do enjoy it, it's a rush that makes you feel good! I know it's bad for me and I always tell myself I don't need and and I can stop at any time and that keeps me grounded. But yeah, no peer pressure, just makes me feel better!

ReputationRep:
    Hardly any of my friends smoke so I've had the opposite experience to you! When I used to smoke I felt like the only one, and was always standing on my own in the smoking area of a club, outside a shop/pub etc. I actually felt anti-social for doing it. Guess my reason for smoking was that I didn't care about the side effects, and found it relaxing, good for de-stressing etc. I eventually quit because of all the negative effects I experienced, included always being out of breath, smelly plus being skint lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People (mostly) start in school to be cool. Then it just manifests itself and they just carry on in later life. I could never date a smoker :/ met a few hot girls but I was like no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people seem to dismiss smokers as being people who want to look cool, are worried about fitting in or are very weak under peer pressure. However, the fact is, some people actually enjoy the taste, smell and effect.

Everyone has different priorities in life, and different risks they are willing to take. Some people don't like to drink alcohol, at all, because they don't want to damage their liver or worry about drinking more than they can handle. Others view these risks as a reasonable trade-off for the enjoyment they feel when they consume alcohol.

It's similar to the way people consume junk food, cakes, sweets etc. Some people value being thin/slim/healthy over eating unhealthy food, while some people are more passionate about food than anything else and would happily trade health for it.

It's the same with smoking. Some people do do it to be cool or look hard, but many do it to relax or relieve stress or because they enjoy the taste and feel of the smoke in their mouths. Some people would LIKE to smoke but can't justify the health risks to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    This is gonna sound shocking....but I love smoking!! Terrible aren't I.

But to me, it's like how I destress, and a nice cuppa and a ciggie are the perfect way for me to do it. To be fair though, when I have kids I'll kick the habit, but for now, I'll settle for smelling like an ashtray.

Bad times!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.