Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

To Start I'm in my 2nd year of Uni and have been living with the parents. But, recently I have wanted to move out and 'Gain Independence', I'm just wondering whether it would be worth it or not just for 1 year(Maybe 2 if I go onto PostGrad)?
    To be honest I want to move out so I don't have to travel to Uni which usually takes around 30mins - 1hr, to experience living away and as I stated above Gain Independence.
    If I had any decent friends that I could rely on I would ask them to rent a place together alas sadly I do not.

Also, would I be better in University Halls or a Private Halls not owned by the Uni? I've seen that Halls can be quite noisy at times :P.

Finally, Should I move out for my Placement Year? Provided I can find accommodation closer than my Parents or for my 3rd/4th Year?

In my opinion, I believe I'm over thinking things too much and should just get on with it and Move out.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:
    In Short: I've been living with Parents for First 2 years of uni, Should I Move into Halls(If at all possible) or Private Halls(Not Owned by Uni)? And would it be beneficial to move out for my placement year aswell as my 3rd and possibly 4th(Masters)?

ReputationRep:
    Ka-Bump

ReputationRep:
    Will your Uni even let you stay in halls? Many dont even have enough space for freshers, let alone random third years. In addition, do you want to live with a load of 18 year olds who have only just discovered drinking?

Private halls are a variable feast, but can tend towards being very quiet.

Do you have any friends from Uni that you could move into a shared house with? Have you considered finding a spare room in a student house through TSR / elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Will your Uni even let you stay in halls? Many dont even have enough space for freshers, let alone random third years. In addition, do you want to live with a load of 18 year olds who have only just discovered drinking?

Private halls are a variable feast, but can tend towards being very quiet.

Do you have any friends from Uni that you could move into a shared house with? Have you considered finding a spare room in a student house through TSR / elsewhere?
    Just checked out and there's only a slim chance I'll get into Halls if any.
    I don't have any friends that would move into a shared house with, They pretty much have their accommodation set up until they finish uni.

I've thought about and more than sure that finding a Spare Room is the way to go, Also, I thought that Private Halls was a Student House, or are they two separate things?
    I have calmed a bit since yesterday and can actually think straight about what to do :P. I'll be checking places such as tsr for spare rooms as time goes by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apridding)
    Just checked out and there's only a slim chance I'll get into Halls if any.
    I don't have any friends that would move into a shared house with, They pretty much have their accommodation set up until they finish uni.

I've thought about and more than sure that finding a Spare Room is the way to go, Also, I thought that Private Halls was a Student House, or are they two separate things?
    I have calmed a bit since yesterday and can actually think straight about what to do :P. I'll be checking places such as tsr for spare rooms as time goes by.
    Private halls are essentially large purpose-built complexes of flats with bedrooms that are let out separately, just like university halls. However, they are run by a private company, they tend to be more expensive, and they tend to attract a strange mix of internationals and postgrads, and the odd UK undergraduate. A major disadvantage is that you won't be able to meet the people you're living with in advance, though you will probably be able to swap flats if you really don't like them.

A shared student house is a normal house (with an HMO licence) which is rented out by a group of friends who all know each other in advance. You will typically have a 52 week let, and bills will not be included in the cost, but it will probably work out about the same as uni halls and less than private halls.

I'd strongly recommend that you go and view where you are going to be living before you sign for it, and in the case of a shared house you meet everyone you will be living with first.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.