Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PowerPoint message to my Dad about my coming out - Feedback? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I made this PowerPoint presentation last night for my dad about my coming out. I'm hoping to send it to him whilst I'm in France because I'm too nervous and shy to tell him to his face (he's not homophobic at all).

Could any gay/lesbian/bisexual people give their opinions on it because I'm really nervous about it? Please, could you also give me advice??? None of my family know about this.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pptx Just watch this presentation in fullscreen.pptx (511.1 KB, 226 views)

ReputationRep:
    If you get on really well with your dad that looks really good! I know if I had a child and they didn't feel comfortable talking to me, I'd love for them to come out that way! I'd suggest putting the bit about not reading it around anyone in the email subject too though, else if your mum or anyone else is around they could try and get him to watch it anyway. Maybe ask him to email you or call you up after with what he thinks when he is ready? Even if he is cool with it, you are his little girl at the end of the day and it may be different being his child - I know my mum was like that.

But honestly good luck and I really hope it all goes well! Maybe post up in here after saying how it goes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KM1994)
    If you get on really well with your dad that looks really good! I know if I had a child and they didn't feel comfortable talking to me, I'd love for them to come out that way! I'd suggest putting the bit about not reading it around anyone in the email subject too though, else if your mum or anyone else is around they could try and get him to watch it anyway. Maybe ask him to email you or call you up after with what he thinks when he is ready? Even if he is cool with it, you are his little girl at the end of the day and it may be different being his child - I know my mum was like that.

But honestly good luck and I really hope it all goes well! Maybe post up in here after saying how it goes?
    Thanks! I've just gone and told my dad and he's not bothered at all! He made a couple of jokes and then told me that he loved me. My Mum however, will not be so pleased (she comes from a Chinese background) and I'm pretty worried at what her reaction will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    Thanks! I've just gone and told my dad and he's not bothered at all! He made a couple of jokes and then told me that he loved me. My Mum however, will not be so pleased (she comes from a Chinese background) and I'm pretty worried at what her reaction will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's awesome! Congrats Ah good luck with your mum, hopefully it doesn't go too badly. What do you think she will react like?

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd at the Borat picture though I have to say, I might be like, "Is this a late April Fool's?" O_o

Maybe just put a slide at the end saying "(and yes, I'm serious)"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KM1994)
    That's awesome! Congrats Ah good luck with your mum, hopefully it doesn't go too badly. What do you think she will react like?
    Thanks! My Mum will probably be disappointed and end up in tears. I don't like seeing my Mum cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    I made this PowerPoint presentation last night for my dad about my coming out. I'm hoping to send it to him whilst I'm in France because I'm too nervous and shy to tell him to his face (he's not homophobic at all).

Could any gay/lesbian/bisexual people give their opinions on it because I'm really nervous about it? Please, could you also give me advice??? None of my family know about this.

Thanks!
    i think it's great! Very well done and funny. I like cesc too hehe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarded)
    I lol'd at the Borat picture though I have to say, I might be like, "Is this a late April Fool's?" O_o

Maybe just put a slide at the end saying "(and yes, I'm serious)"
    That was the point of the Borat picture. It was aiming to make my dad laugh.

Yeah, you could say that about the April Fools, but I tried to make the presentation as serious as possible. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce303ce303)
    i think it's great! Very well done and funny. I like cesc too hehe!
    Thanks!

Cesc Fabregas! :heart:

ReputationRep:
    Very Good. (I assume you get on quite well with your dad to the extent you're able to swear?)
    Nice touch with the picture, I laughed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Very Good. (I assume you get on quite well with your dad to the extent you're able to swear?)
    Nice touch with the picture, I laughed
    Heh. Will swear occasionally when I'm frustrated or being lazy. I get on with him really well.

I was hoping the picture would take away some of the seriousness and add some humour to it. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    It seemed a bit jokey if that's what you were going for? (I actually quite liked it though)

And why do you call your Dad Paul?
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    That was actually so cutsie! I'm glad it went well for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gouki)
    It seemed a bit jokey if that's what you were going for? (I actually quite liked it though)

And why do you call your Dad Paul?
    I was aiming for the presentation to be more humourous than serious.

I've been calling my dad Paul (he's my biological father) for as long as I can remember. I can never remember calling him "dad".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    That was actually so cutsie! I'm glad it went well for you!
    Awww, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.