Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have any advice for me? I live at home, and my Dad for various medical reasons has OCD and ticks. Things have to be done at a certain time, in a certain order, or he can't remember what he's doing, or why.

He also has ticks, such as coughing, clearing his throat, eating lollies/apples in a certain way, CONSTANTLY tapping the sofa, the remote control, the cushions, his belt, etc.

He also constantly pulls at his eyelashes, and eyebrows so he has bald patches.

Does anyone have any tips to help me manage living with these things? It's getting to the point where I am put off eating food, where I don't want to be around him, where I can't do what I want when I want without it throwing him off. I know he can't help any of this , it;s not his fault, I feel incredibly sorry for him but it's having such a big impact on my life. Does anyone have any ideas to how to manage it? The ticks/OCD aren't curable, they are because of scarring within his brain.

ReputationRep:
    You could see if there is a way for you to try and change them; I know it will be hard and will take years to change but it is possible after all an OCD is a behaviour.

For the short time; try and see if you can get someone else to watch him while you move out for a month or two. This will give you the rest that you seem like you need.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tim99)
    You could see if there is a way for you to try and change them; I know it will be hard and will take years to change but it is possible after all an OCD is a behaviour.
    You can't force someone to change their behaviour. I have OCD due to hypersensitivity. It's something that no-one can change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You can't force someone to change their behaviour. I have OCD due to hypersensitivity. It's something that no-one can change.
    It can. And I'm not saying ''FORCE'' that would be wrong. I've come from a household where one person has had OCD and it has been a hard road; in the past 10years (or a little over) the family has managed to help and change some of the behaviour.

Helping not controlling. :cool:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.