Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    and it seems to be a common problem around our uni (Keele). Don't get me wrong, I love it here but this is one of the few things that really bug me. The ones we had from America were fine - it is generally something about the Chinese ones in blocks all around campus that there's an unwritten law that they never clean and leave things like raw meat out and lettuce leaves in the sink and rice and sauce everywhere. I've tried emailing someone about it but they haven't replied yet - until they reply does anyone know why this is such a common problem? Does this happen in your uni? And what can be done about it? It seems that most people are scared to broach the subject with anyone in charge of things because it seems "racist" - I want to clarify that's not what I'm trying to be here, it just something that I've noticed. I'm not judging a whole race by this - all of the people I have spoken to about this agree that the ones in their block do the same. Maybe they just don't understand, I spoke to one of my friends from Singapore and she said maybe because they're internationals they have maids because she does and they're not used to cleaning up? Cultural differences? I can't really ask them because we all never speak, ever since they got more friends from their own country here they sort of segregate themselves, which is understandable but still kind of annoying as it's like they come in, ignore you, make a mess and leave and we constantly have to tidy up for them and get blamed for their mess by the cleaner because she's convinced that they're really tidy and wouldn't dream of making a mess :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My EU housemate is also rather useless in this respect, and recycling remains a mystery to them despite many months of explanations.

I can only assume that it's because they never had to lift a finger at home, and haven't realised that the cleaning fairy no longer exists :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Confront them face to face. Hold a 'meeting' when everybody is around.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a similar problem. When my flatmate does do dishes she soaks all of the worktops and the floor and I have fallen twice and in November was left with an injury that developed into a muscle spasm which I have a hot water bottle on right now!
    You should attempt to call a flat meeting, or tell everyone individually not to do things like leave raw meat out (a thing that keeps happening with another of my flatmates) so nobody feels targeted even if you know who it is that it the problem.
    Alternatively, the accommodation office should be able to do something about it. If it's a health and safety hazard (like my problem with the wet floors) then they should be able to email everyone in the flat (or at least that's what they did in my case, as I ended up in A&E the second time I fell).

ReputationRep:
    My flatmates are the same (although neither of them are internationals). They leave their raw meat out, leave egg shells on the counter and pile their dirty dishes in the sink and then complain about having no clean plates left in the cupboard... Also when one of them hosts pre-drinks at our flat and the rest of us are away, the host-flatmate doesn't even clean up the next day. I always clean up after myself and the parties I host and it's annoying living with people who don't have the same standards as me.

My flatmates are also from families where the parents did all the housework. Till this day, they don't take my nagging on board and still complain about no clean crockery. Nothing you can do really. Find new flatmates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chopsticks)
    and it seems to be a common problem around our uni (Keele). Don't get me wrong, I love it here but this is one of the few things that really bug me. The ones we had from America were fine - it is generally something about the Chinese ones in blocks all around campus that there's an unwritten law that they never clean and leave things like raw meat out and lettuce leaves in the sink and rice and sauce everywhere. I've tried emailing someone about it but they haven't replied yet - until they reply does anyone know why this is such a common problem? Does this happen in your uni? And what can be done about it? It seems that most people are scared to broach the subject with anyone in charge of things because it seems "racist" - I want to clarify that's not what I'm trying to be here, it just something that I've noticed. I'm not judging a whole race by this - all of the people I have spoken to about this agree that the ones in their block do the same. Maybe they just don't understand, I spoke to one of my friends from Singapore and she said maybe because they're internationals they have maids because she does and they're not used to cleaning up? Cultural differences? I can't really ask them because we all never speak, ever since they got more friends from their own country here they sort of segregate themselves, which is understandable but still kind of annoying as it's like they come in, ignore you, make a mess and leave and we constantly have to tidy up for them and get blamed for their mess by the cleaner because she's convinced that they're really tidy and wouldn't dream of making a mess :confused:
    Omg I'm at Keele and it's exactly the same in my block. I'm the only one who seems to know how to change a binbag, and we even get some of the internationals throwing soup in the bin, and then they wonder why the floor is swimming in brown goo. It's ridiculous. We keep trying to talk to them, but they just pretend they can't talk English. If you find an answer let me know

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there are 20 of us and we always have to clean up after the 10 Chinese students before the kitchen inspection.

And a Lithuanian girl we live with just puts anything in any bin and has no clue about recycling and rarely does her own washing up.

Dunno if it's a cultural thing or what, but I never washed a single thing at home, but I keep the kitchen tidy at uni so who knows :P

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there is no such thing as rubbish where they come from? :confused:

I have noticed similar, more often than not they just leave bin bags full to the brim in the corridor. I mean, who do they expect is going to come and clean it for them?

ReputationRep:
    Most internationals are ****ing minted so they probably do have housekeepers and maids and chefs so they don't have to lift a finger themselves.

ReputationRep:
    There are not enough recycling bins in Lithuania so most of us are not used to recycling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.