Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Your help would be very welcome. as I stumbled upon a big problem.

I hold an acceptance offer from UCL for a postgraduate study. However the fees are very high and I'm unable to pay those.

Does anyone know if I can ask for a tuition waiver/ reduction of the fee at UCL? Or is there some other way to finance my masters?

I hope you can help me out..
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Have you looked through http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/scholarships to see if you and your course are eligible for any awards/grants/scholarships?

Depending on your subject and you there might be other options but PG study is so varied that it's impossible to even guide you where to look without knowing more about your course and you (eg http://www.prospects.ac.uk/funding_p...uate_study.htm gives advice on some funding options for UK students but students from outside the UK may be eligible for grants from their government or international charities)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I have looked at those, but unfortunately none of them applies to my course (financial mathematics). Do you know any options for funding for financial math?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by student441)
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I have looked at those, but unfortunately none of them applies to my course (financial mathematics). Do you know any options for funding for financial math?

(Original post by PQ)
    Depending on your subject and you there might be other options but PG study is so varied that it's impossible to even guide you where to look without knowing more about your course and you

ReputationRep:
    I am currently an undergraduate student in Physics, completing my degree this year. I have a strong interest in Finance and I live and come from the EU.

I hope you can help me with this info.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who can help me with this?

ReputationRep:
    As per my reply in your other thread, there are very few sources of funding for Masters courses in the UK. What there is, is highly competitive and already likely to have been allocated. Only UCL would be able to properly advise on what, if anything, they can offer - it's best to contact them direct. If UCL are unable to offer any advice, is there anything available from your own government? The UK government provides little (if any) financial assistance for its own citizens with Masters courses, so sadly people from outside the country are in an even stickier situation.

Did you have any plans for funding your study when you applied to UCL? Is it possible that these can be tweaked to take account of your current situation?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply! I will indeed try and ask UCL...
    I was actually hoping for a scholarship, but I could not obtain one until now.. On top of the huge fee, there is also the living costs of London which are a concern to me...

Do you have any experience with/ do you know about good and affordable student housing in London?

If I would try borrowing all the money for my postgrad studies; do you guys think it is worth it?
    Or would you think it is wiser to apply for a cheaper option in that case?
    I'd love to go to UCL .. but there is still a lot to worry about for me right now..

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I've never studied in London and can't offer any specific insights.

Sadly, as an overseas student doing a finance-based Masters, the fees will be very high wherever you study. These types of courses tend to attract overseas students who are either wealthy enough to afford the courses or who are sponsored by an employer. Universities therefore don't feel the need to keep the fees down.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, as an overseas student doing a finance-based Masters, the fees will be very high wherever you study.
    Yes indeed it is a pity that this is the case! did/do you yourself study finance?

study abroad
    Do you know a UCL equivalent for finance abroad?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Have you looked at http://www.scholarship-search.org.uk/ - it's not universal but it might be able to help you find some financial support (even if you have to study your subject somewhere other than UCL...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Have you looked at http://www.scholarship-search.org.uk/ - it's not universal but it might be able to help you find some financial support (even if you have to study your subject somewhere other than UCL...)
    Unfortunately nothing to found to fund the UCL MSc...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.