Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    Your help would be very welcome. as I stumbled upon a big problem.

    I hold an acceptance offer from UCL for a postgraduate study. However the fees are very high and I'm unable to pay those.

    Does anyone know if I can ask for a tuition waiver/ reduction of the fee at UCL? Or is there some other way to finance my masters?

    I hope you can help me out..

    No and no.

    There's no equivalent of Student Finance for Masters study. You might be able to get some kind of bursary/scholarship from your uni, but some of these are competitive, some have restricted eligibility criteria, some are given on a "first come, first served" basis and are already likely to have been allocated, and I suspect you'll find that many application dates have now passed. Contact UCL to ask or check their website, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

    Career Development Loans are available from a couple of banks, but I believe that these are for a maximum of £10,000 which would barely cover fees for the higher-cost courses. The banks are also tightening up eligibility criteria, so even those aren't guaranteed to be available to you.

    In my experience many people who aren't independently wealthy, fund their Masters from savings or loans from family. I've known people study part-time and fund themselves by working part-time, but even those had a base of savings. It's hard work but it is possible. Unfortunately it's a strategy which depends on being able to find part-time work, which isn't guaranteed these days.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.