Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi I really needed help with this question I just dont know where to start?

Ammonium iron (II) sulphate crystals have the following formula:
    (NH4)2SO4.FeSO4.nH2O. In an experiment to determine n, 8.492g of the salt were dissolved and made up to 250 cm3 of solution with distilled water and dilute sulphuric acid. A 25 cm3 portion of the solution was further acidified and titrated against potassium manganate (VII) solution of concentration 0.0150 moldm-3. A volume of 22.5 cm3 was required. Determine n.

:confused::confused::eek:

ReputationRep:
    hi im stuck on this question and I dont know where to start?

(NH4)2SO4.FeSO4.nH2O. In an experiment to determine n, 8.492g of the salt were dissolved and made up to 250 cm3 of solution with distilled water and dilute sulphuric acid. A 25 cm3 portion of the solution was further acidified and titrated against potassium manganate (VII) solution of concentration 0.0150 moldm-3. A volume of 22.5 cm3 was required. Determine n.

any ideas? :confused:
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amarjit700)
    Hi I really needed help with this question I just dont know where to start?

:confused::confused::eek:
    step 1: write out the equation for the reaction of manganate(VII) ions with iron(II) ions

step 2: calculate the moles of manganate ions in the titre.

step 3: Use step 1 & 2 to find the moles of iron(II) ions in the titre.

step 4: consider how many moles of iron ammonium sulphate come from each mole of iron(II)

step 5: scale up step 4 to take into account that there was actually 250ml of solution not 25ml

step 6: find the mass of step 5

step 7: subtract the mass from step 6 from the actual mass used. The difference is the mass of water

step 8: find the ratio of moles of iron(II) to water to get 'n'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    step 1: write out the equation for the reaction of manganate(VII) ions with iron(II) ions

step 2: calculate the moles of manganate ions in the titre.

step 3: Use step 1 & 2 to find the moles of iron(II) ions in the titre.

step 4: consider how many moles of iron ammonium sulphate come from each mole of iron(II)

step 5: scale up step 4 to take into account that there was actually 250ml of solution not 25ml

step 6: find the mass of step 5

step 7: subtract the mass from step 6 from the actual mass used. The difference is the mass of water

step 8: find the ratio of moles of iron(II) to water to get 'n'.
    thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.