Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many times have you nearly crashed? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've had a few:

1. I was at a junction turning right (therefore crossing a lane). It was clear and I looked both ways and I pulled out. As I was pulling out I looked forward and saw a car turning into the junction I was coming out of. I must have been a few mm's away from hitting it.

2. I was accelerating out of a roundabout and there was traffic on the exit where there isn't normally, so I hit the brakes and just stopped in time (phew!) literally a foot away.

3. Going onto a mini roundabout with someone doing a U-turn on it so they nearly hit my side (because I pulled out not expecting them to do a U turn).

4. Almost hitting the middle of the roundabout- I was pulling onto the inner lane of the roundabout and I was looking right to make sure there was nothing coming. Then I looked forward and had to quickly turn the wheel to avoid going straight into the barrier going around the middle.

But i've not actually hit anyone or anything yet

I know every new driver has these moments, that don't seem to bad until you think about it. What are your 'Oh, I nearly crashed' moments?

Oh, and don't neg me for being a bad driver/ moan at me to say i'm a bad driver, everyone has a few near misses, even you.

ReputationRep:
    Ok the ones I can think of so far...

1. The first time I ever parked, reverse bay park, thought I'd be able to make it, dad next to me shouted to stop - he pulled up the handbrake - in my defence I braked before he pulled up the handbrake...

2. Approached a roundabout where there was a queue. I thought I was driving at a slow enough speed but I was actually going faster than I thought (it seemed so slow compared to 70mph I'd been doing before!), so I really had to slam the brakes to stop in time

3. Driving on a 2lane stretch which was a 50, the left lane of traffic was moving slower than me, having just pulled off from the lights. I was in the right lane going slightly quicker because the lights had been green for me. This guy in the left lane was positioned on the very right of his lane, i hesitated, and since I drive a small car, I decided to drive past him. But then he started veering over onto my lane without noticing and I had to hit the brakes. If I hadn't hesitated before overtaking him, he probably would have veered into the side of my car!

ReputationRep:
    Only a couple of times... been in quiet a nasty crash (rolled off a b-road into a ditch at 70mph) but I wasn't driving.

1. When I first got my car I pulled into a one way street by accident (its a terribly designed road in my town) some one almost barreled into me at 35-40mph we both had to swerve, was my fault so it felt pretty bad.

2. Was driving a long a fairly iced dual carriageway at 50. The car infront of me suddenly lost control and spun. I broke to avoid him and my wheels just immediatly locked, flew past his now almost stationary car at 30-40 missing by about 20cm. Ended up stopping to make sure he was alright since his car struck the central barrier and the front end was smashed. He was fine though the police arrived and took a statement so I drove off.

3. I slowed down with my indicator on too pull into my drive, the **** behind me in his alfa didn't seem to notice and shunted me, I then pulled into my house and he kept on driving. Got his license plate but there was no damage so I didn't bother phoning it in.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you mean how many times have people nearly crashed into me? Far too many :lol:

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ First two posts demonstrate why insurance premiums are so high for young drivers.

Most drivers go over 20 years without causing anything near an accident.

ReputationRep:
    Once, because some twonk decided to overtake someone when on a blind bend, down a country road, when I was coming in the opposite direction. It's a bloody good job I have good reactions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still taking lessons and I haven't had any near misses but I crashed my instructors car onto a lamppost, basically what happened was, was that he told me to turn right and there was 3 lanes (he didn't tell me which lane to go to) so I decided to go to the middle lane, and then all of a sudden he kind of panicked and told me to go to the right land quickly, so I was nicely going to the right land but he said I'm moving too slowly so he decided to steer for me (hate it when he does that) and so I just completely lost control and I realized that I would be hitting the lamppost so I hit the brakes (not him) but did not stop on time.....Oh well, at least I've got a bit of experience now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    ^^^ First two posts demonstrate why insurance premiums are so high for young drivers.

If you even read what I wrote properly:
    in 1. I'm the one who braked and stopped the car. And everyone has come close to other cars in car parks. If you haven't, you've never parked a car. Oh, and that was the very first time I ever parked that car...

in 2. pretty much everyone's ended up stopping closer to the car in front than they intended to.

Besides, those two examples sound closer than they actually were... and they were at very low speeds.
    The only real near miss was in 3 - which was not even remotely my fault. I'm the one who avoided the accident here...

Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Once, because some twonk decided to overtake someone when on a blind bend, down a country road, when I was coming in the opposite direction. It's a bloody good job I have good reactions.
    You can't leave a story half finished! What did you do??

ReputationRep:
    For most people I know, it's uncountable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rump Steak)
    You can't leave a story half finished! What did you do??
    Oh, nothing too interesting Just did an emergency stop. Even then he almost hit me. I could practically see the whites of his eyes..
    If the timing had been marginally different, we'd have had a head-on collision.

Tit.

After the incident I found a lay-by and had a little sob

Edit: Thankfully, I wasn't actually on the blind bend - I was on the straight before the bend. He was coming round the bend and onto the straight when it happened.

ReputationRep:

No, insurance premiums are so high for young drivers because there are lots of young drivers who behave recklessly.

I'd bet that just about everyone has at least a few near misses over the years when their attention momentarily lapses. When that happens, it's simply a matter of luck as to whether or not you react in time to avoid an accident.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, nothing too interesting Just did an emergency stop. Even then he almost hit me. I could practically see the whites of his eyes..

Tit.

Edit: Thankfully, I wasn't actually on the blind bend - I was on the straight before the bend. He was coming round the bend and onto the straight when it happened.
    Thought so... the worst thing about that situation is you're counting on the other person to swerve in time.

Tit indeed. :yep:

I've overtaken twice. Never doing it again though...

ReputationRep:
    Never :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rump Steak)
    Thought so... the worst thing about that situation is you're counting on the other person to swerve in time.

Tit indeed. :yep:

I've overtaken twice. Never doing it again though...
    Thankfully he was paying enough attention to actually get back into his lane at some point

I don't have much of a problem with overtaking.. it's just when people do it in silly situations. I know the aforementioned stretch of country road like the back of my hand and out of the whole ~5 miles of it would only overtake in two places. There are loads of bends and despite the land being flat - Cambridgeshire isn't known for its hills - the road is lined by trees so you can't see round the corners.

I would like to think that the plonker has learnt his lesson.. but he probably hasn't.

To give a visual, it happened here: http://goo.gl/maps/xxdwe
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The main one that i can remember was when i was coming home from work.
    I was driving along a main road, at about 50 mph (the speed limit was 60). On my left, there was a side road and a car was waiting to pull out of it so they could go across the main road and go down a side road that was on my right. But this person waiting to pull out didnt bother looking properly, and they pulled straight out in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes to narrowly avoid hitting him (and i beeped my horn big time). This person didnt have a clue what he had done- he slowed down as he was in the middle of crossing the main road (bearing in mind im about to hit him) and looked as if to say "what have i done wrong?"

ReputationRep:
    Going around a roundabout at 20mph in the wet (quiet road thankfully) and the back end just... slid out. Steered into it and managed to recover before I hit the barriers at the side of the road.

Later found out that the cause was the track rod end on my car had snapped

ReputationRep:

Tit.

I had a similar incident on a road near me with a blind bend, a short straight, then another blind bend. It's a road with a double solid white line in the middle for obvious reasons. Some idiot decided to overtake someone on the short straight and forced me to emergency stop as I came out of the blind bend. I have black box insurance so that counts against me for someone else being a tit.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a couple as well and I'm a relatively new driver.

1) I've had 2 times when I accidentally pressed the accelerator instead of the brake momentarily. I quickly corrected and didn't crash.

2) I once sneezed while driving which caused me to steer suddenly, lost control and skidded but managed to save it.

3) I was distracted talking to my passenger, didn't notice a red light and went through. A couple of cars horned but I didn't hit anything.

4)5 times (I think) I missed the brake pedal while moving my foot from the accelerator and attempted to press an empty space or my foot slipped of the pedal. Saved it by braking hard.

I've had one accident when my foot slipped of the brake and I couldn't brake properly. I got charged for "Driving without due care and attention" but fought it off in the courts.

ReputationRep:
    I've nearly clipped the kerb loads of times
    but someone drove into the back of my car at traffic lights before and made it go into the back of the car in front of me, I'd only passed a few months and it was horrible

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 14, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.