Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

How many times have you nearly crashed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Once, because some twonk decided to overtake someone when on a blind bend, down a country road, when I was coming in the opposite direction. It's a bloody good job I have good reactions.
    Oh gosh I've seen this happening once when driving through the peak district. There was a line of cars driving down (with myself somewhere in the middle) and one impatient driver overtaking everyone. They decided to overtake on a blind bend and nearly crashed into someone coming the opposite direction around the bend. That person had to swerve into a (very fortunately placed!) layby that was just next to the bend. That driver was an absolutely idiot who could have killed someone just because they were too impatient to wait for a safer place to overtake.

ReputationRep:
    I don't start driving till thursday but I've had a few near misses in my driving lessons ( none my fault ).

1. I came onto a 2 lane roundabout from the left hand lane because I was going straight on, this old guy is on the right land and literally as I'm about to exit the roundabout he comes right over from the right hand lane and cuts me up exiting the roundabout. Had to fully stop in the middle of the roundabout.

2. I was on a dual carriageway so doing about 60 the van in front of my goes to go down the slip road only to realize last minute it's not the one he want's so just before the divide swerves right over back into the carriage way.

And people call young drivers terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kazbian)
    Oh gosh I've seen this happening once when driving through the peak district. There was a line of cars driving down (with myself somewhere in the middle) and one impatient driver overtaking everyone. They decided to overtake on a blind bend and nearly crashed into someone coming the opposite direction around the bend. That person had to swerve into a (very fortunately placed!) layby that was just next to the bend. That driver was an absolutely idiot who could have killed someone just because they were too impatient to wait for a safer place to overtake.
    Some drivers are just stupid. In my previous post I linked to a Google maps thing of where it happened - there are actually two blind bends very close together.
    Some people just don't think.

I'm just glad the timing hadn't been even slightly different. Although I did have my dog in the car (I was coming back from a dog walk) and he went flying, bless him. Just into the footwell though; he had his little dog seatbelt on

ReputationRep:
    I've had a few near misses, none were down to me though all the stupidity of the other driver.

1. In my street cars always park along the side of the road, half pavement half road, so there's about enough space for 1 and half cars on the road. Some idiot in a bmw was coming one direction on the side the cars were parked and because it was my right of way I kept going and this idiot when I'm about half way along (there was 5 cars parked) decides he's going to try and make me reverse. I kept going and I forced him to stop he swore at me, and just missed hitting the side of my car. This also happened with some stupid man in an aston martin, I swore at him and he stopped next to me and tried to open his car door not quite sure what he was doing, but I'm hoping he wasn't trying to intimidate me, because that would never work, I think it might have been the same that was driving the bmw.

2. There's a wee roundabout that's just 2 lanes but there not marked and I was in the left lane going straight ahead and some numpty overtook me and just missed taking the front off the car because I braked quickly they then proceded to speed off doing about 40-50 in a 30.

3. I was coming up to turn right into my street so I indicated some woman behind in a bmw decides to try and overtake but there was a car coming down the hill, she then tooted her horn whilst trying to overtake again whilst I was in the middle of turning right.

4. Same roundabout as no. 2, a learner driver was in the right hand lane, no indicators so I held back a wee bit, I was in the left lane. It appears as though they were going right as they had started going round that way, then they slow right down, indicate right and pull in front of me going about 5mph and proceed to go off left (straight ahead) instead of going where they had indicated, then went up the hill at 15 mph.

And a gypsy in a pick up lorry van thing almost hit my car as it sped across the Tesco car park at 10pm.

Some people really should not be driving.

ReputationRep:
    4th driving lesson - turning right onto a main road from a road with two right-turn lanes (instructor told me to stay on the left lane) I cut into the right lane while turning onto the main road and the guy almost sideswiped me, leading to really enraged slamming on the horn... Probably the worst damn lesson I've had so far!

Apparently that was the point of making me stay on the left...my instructor's the kind of guy who'd throw you in the deep end without any guidance so to speak, apparently you learn better the hard way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Some drivers are just stupid. In my previous post I linked to a Google maps thing of where it happened - there are actually two blind bends very close together.
    Some people just don't think.

I'm just glad the timing hadn't been even slightly different. Although I did have my dog in the car (I was coming back from a dog walk) and he went flying, bless him. Just into the footwell though; he had his little dog seatbelt on
    Haha, I didn't even know there were dog seatbelts. It makes sense though, not just for the dog, but for anyone else in the car. You don't want the dog to go flying about in an accident. At least neither of you were hurt.

In the overtake I was referring to, I can't believe there wasn't an accident. The person was actually coming round the bend when the person was overtaking. They must have had amazing reflexes to swerve into the layby like that and emergency stop. All I could hear was car horns going off.

I've had to slow down because of someone doing an overtake on the other side of the road before, but it was nothing like these situations (thankfully).

ReputationRep:
    Every day in London seems to have a close call tbh...

ReputationRep:
    Never.

ReputationRep:
    About seven years ago. M4, Friday at 5:40pm, Eastbound near Reading. About to overtake yet another lorry (18-wheeler) who is in lane 1, I'm in lane 2 doing 70, lane 3 fairly busy with traffic doing about 80-ish. Usual Friday afternoon traffic, lane 1 full of lorries doing 56mph, lane 2 and lane 3 flowing well, no worries.

The offside driving tyres on the tractor unit of the lorry blow, throwing rubber, steel, wheel rims and bits of lorry directly in front of me. I can't swerve into lane 3, it's too busy, I hit the brakes and go from 70 to about 10 very, very quickly, I turned left onto lane 1 and then the hard shoulder and continue down it at about 20 because I don't want to get caught up in what I think is going to be carnage behind me. And I look in my mirror because at Friday on the M4 near Reading, the motorway is usually busy and I'm expecting to see a major metal-bending session. I'm glad I didn't hit the debris, I'm glad I didn't get rear-ended and I'm glad I didn't panic.

Someone was looking out for the drivers that afternoon because the traffic behind managed to slow down enough that it could all get into lane 3 or the hard shoulder without hitting the truck now stranded in lane 1 or the debris in lane 2.

About 300 yards further on is a phone so I called in the accident.

Having a forest of rubber and steel appear in front of you at 70mph is.... "interesting."

T3

I have nearly crashed so many times I could only say in person

ReputationRep:
    Just once. In 2012, a few months after passing my test, I was coming up behind a lorry (in my then new Range Rover Sport V8) doing 80mph on a 40mph road, and thought that I'd use the other side of the road to overtake considering that it appeared to be empty. Just when I moved over to the right, I saw a car that had pulled out of a side road and so I had to quickly slam the brakes, swerve out of its way and get back behind the lorry. That didn't seem to have any impact on me at all, however, since I did eventually get past.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.