Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best UK network for Pay Monthly SIM Only Price and Coverage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to ever find a good deal with texts and data.

Virgin have £10/month for 250 minutes which is fine because I only need a small amount, unlimited texts which is awesome and 1GB web. I don't want to go over £10 but I don't want under 1GB either. I've heard their network is pretty rubbish though as I was just with T-Mobile an

Tesco have the same but with 5000 texts, are they any good, can you recommend any other networks?

O2 have plenty of perks but seem to be VERY expensive, haven't check their tariffs though and not sure about coverage.

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    How much data do you actually need per month? Is 1GB fine? What about mins?

Three do 200 mins/5000 texts/AYCE data for £12.90pm - They have 98% 3G coverage.
    Giff Gaff do 250 mins/unl texts/unl data for £12pm on pay as you go. But their 3G coverage is pretty bad so while mins and texts are fine their 3G isn't as they use O2.

What network/deal are you on now?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I was told that Virgin isn't that good, hence why they can give you so much for a small price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)

Three do 200 mins/5000 texts/AYCE data for £12.90pm - They have 98% 3G coverage.
    Giff Gaff do 250 mins/unl texts/unl data for £12pm on pay as you go. But their 3G coverage is pretty bad so while mins and texts are fine their 3G isn't as they use O2.

1GB is fine, more would be good but 500MB isn't enough nor is 750MB. I was previously on Three and it was pretty good but I don't want to go over £10.

I'm currently on Giffgaff PAYG and I don't like the network that much, the coverage is alright but definitely not as good as Three. I think I might go back to them as I did like them on PAYG, I just wasn't so sure about the prices because I used to top up £15/month on PAYG which was way too much for me, £10 or under is all I'll spend.

I was on T-Mobile before and they were awful, so where Orange as their the same network. Not sure about Vodafone never tried them, also never tried Tesco or O2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    1GB is fine, more would be good but 500MB isn't enough nor is 750MB. I was previously on Three and it was pretty good but I don't want to go over £10.

I'm currently on Giffgaff PAYG and I don't like the network that much, the coverage is alright but definitely not as good as Three. I think I might go back to them as I did like them on PAYG, I just wasn't so sure about the prices because I used to top up £15/month on PAYG which was way too much for me, £10 or under is all I'll spend.

I was on T-Mobile before and they were awful, so where Orange as their the same network. Not sure about Vodafone never tried them, also never tried Tesco or O2.
    Tesco and Giff Gaff use O2 network so signal will be identical across those three.

Virgin use Orange and T-Mobile so signal will be identical across those 3 as well.

Three have their own network but are similar to T-Mobile and Orange as they share a lot of the same network.

The £12.90 deal with unlimited data from Three is probably the best one. Unfortunately data and minutes are the one thing that networks charge for so it's hard to find something for £10 or under with 1GB data +. Hell vodafone want £26pm on sim only for 2GB data :eek:

If you sign up to the £12.90 3 deal via TCB or Quidco you get £25 cashback so that's pretty much 2 months free.

ReputationRep:
    Tesco and Giff Gaff use O2 network so signal will be identical across those three.

Virgin use Orange and T-Mobile so signal will be identical across those 3 as well.

Three have their own network but are similar to T-Mobile and Orange as they share a lot of the same network.

The £12.90 deal with unlimited data from Three is probably the best one. Unfortunately data and minutes are the one thing that networks charge for so it's hard to find something for £10 or under with 1GB data +. Hell vodafone want £26pm on sim only for 2GB data :eek:

If you sign up to the £12.90 3 deal via TCB or Quidco you get £25 cashback so that's pretty much 2 months free.
    Thanks for the help, and damn Vodafone are expensive. :eek: I'm going to go with Three.

ReputationRep:

Really? I'm on giff gaff and coverage for 3G has been brilliant everywhere for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRBrown94)
    Really? I'm on giff gaff and coverage for 3G has been brilliant everywhere for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well out of all the networks they have the least 3G coverage and worst technology in use for data throughput. I guess if you've never tried different networks you don't know how much better they are. Here is an example of how good 3 can be. This is 5 times faster than my fixed line broadband with Talk Talk. Ping is great for a 3G connection as well. Giff Gaff can't get even 1/4 of these speeds

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAJ4gtKCUAA5L1o.jpg:large

Of course it varies by location and some networks may be better than others in certain area. But if you're talking generally then Three and EE's networks are technically the best in the UK wth Vodafone behind them and then O2/Giff Gaff well far behind. In fact O2/Giff Gaff have such a bad 3G network they were fined by Ofcom for failing to roll out a good 3G network.

Here is a map of O2/Giff Gaff 3G coverage (use the key to differentiate good/bad areas)
    http://oi47.tinypic.com/15umfo.jpg

And here is EE/Three's 3G network
    http://i.imgur.com/T7XIQ.png

In fact this is what O2/Giff Gaff 3G was like just after they were fined by Ofcom for poor coverage-
    http://i.imgur.com/ppurl.png

It's really shocking.

ReputationRep:
    Are 3 and EE the same? I've found T-Mobile to be terrible, but 3 to be much better. As you know I'm currently on giffgaff and will be retuning to 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    Are 3 and EE the same? I've found T-Mobile to be terrible, but 3 to be much better. As you know I'm currently on giffgaff and will be retuning to 3.
    Like i said before, they're very similar and share a lot of the same masts. So coverage, while not identical, will be closer between Three and T-Mobile, than compared to Three and O2 for example.

If you're happy with Three signal then there should be no problems. If you want to be 100% sure it'll work then what i'd suggest is trying a pay as you go sim on Three for a bit if you want to test out the signal a bit without committing to the full month first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.