Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody ever designed their own t-shirt?

I want to design my own Joy Division one but rather than pay £20+ for one in the shops. I can get it done at the printers but I just have no idea about design. If I designed it in photoshop do you think it would be possible to print a JPEG onto the t-shirt?

ReputationRep:
    I designed my own by getting them to print a slogan I thought up on it

Sex Appeal
    (please give generously)

the guy in the shop remarked on it's witiness and a week later it was in the window the next thing I know the EXACT copy of my t-shirt was being sold on market stalls for £4 when i paid about £25 for mine... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    My mum likes to make clothes...n design
    but i like to customise, jus the other day i got a plain tshirt n painted my dads cars tyres black n told my dad to drive over my tshirt.....it looks soo kool. I g0t it the idea from a mag

ReputationRep:
    yep i think u can, my bro works in a sport shop where they do all the printing for t-shirts, he bough plain t-shirts then printed otu the design on to the stuff - well bascially u can put it depends wot program the printer thing is connected to

ReputationRep:
    i have put a pic of me on a t-shirt as che guevara - i wear it to bed when i wear a t-shirt...

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I replied to this thread a while ago, didn't post due to busy server *sigh* -oh well, lost now. Wont retype it all.

Basically, yes I've designed several t-shirts but I haven't had them printed professionally. I use the relatively cheap option of t-shirt transfer paper. I don't know where you get them printed, but comparatively the quality is probably much better, as the self-iron ones can get a little flaked. Additionally, there are size restrictions with the A4 transfer paper, though multiple images can be ironed on.

They can be most amusing.

ReputationRep:
    The one I am thinking of is just simple Joy Division and maybe "Love Will Tear Us Apart" underneath it. Then on the back maybe somthing about Manchester. The print paper might be ok as I am only tending to wear it in a club a few times.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, ive done a few by just printing them onto the iron on transfer paper stuff. you can buy the nomral stuff or specially for darker color tshirts so it shows up better...(i nearly always wear black tshirts so this is useful for me ) & topman were doing an offer a month or 2 back where you could buy a plain tshirt for £6 or 2 for a tenner (great if you're on a budget..)

ReputationRep:
    I copied one of Thom Yorke's tees, it said :
    oui
    ya
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Will the transfer paper work in a deskjet printer?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, just set the quality to best/photo it'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I just hope the crowd appecriate my new wackey t-shirt when they see it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    I designed my own by getting them to print a slogan I thought up on it

Sex Appeal
    (please give generously)

the guy in the shop remarked on it's witiness and a week later it was in the window the next thing I know the EXACT copy of my t-shirt was being sold on market stalls for £4 when i paid about £25 for mine... :mad:
    Thats flippin' harsh! Go back to that shop and demand your share of the profits! Especially if you have evidence that it is your slogan... but i have this feeling iv'e seen it before? .... Either way, its worth a shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu673)
    yeah, just set the quality to best/photo it'll be fine.
    'Normal' setting uses enough ink on mine. I suppose it depends on the printer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

I want to design my own Joy Division one but rather than pay £20+ for one in the shops. I can get it done at the printers but I just have no idea about design. If I designed it in photoshop do you think it would be possible to print a JPEG onto the t-shirt?
    I've made my own customised t-shirts 2! About 3 weeks ago me and my group of friends from sixth form went on this wikkid pub crawl, called "The Circle Line Pub Crawl", it a pub crawl where you get on the circle line on the tube (london underground) and get off at every stop and have a unit of alcohol! It sounds easy but there was 27 stops (26 really but you have to go back to the stop you started at) and you have 2 do it all in 12 hours, and it was proper difficult for two main reasons
    1 We're students at the end of the day and we've got NO money
    2 Have you ever drunk 27 pints / shots in almost one go and still be coherent and able to look after yourself at a party let alone on a train with live rails etc.. and other potential fatal obstacles for drunk teenagers

Anyways side tracking
    ...We all wore shoody customised t-shirts that I created (badly), they cost more than £8 each and to be honest they looked really crap cos I used my inkjet printer and my iron at home. You've got to get a lot of practice in to create a iron transfer t-shirt which looks half decent. Because using the ironing method you can encounter the following problems
    1 Burning the t-shirt (brown stains- looks so so so bad)
    2 Light coloured t-shirts blantantly show the the t-shirt transfere outline
    3 The ink easily melts, runs and smudges
    4 The iron can be too cold and only parts of the transfer actually stick and the rest peel off
    5 The iron can be too hot and you can't remove the paper backing from the transfer
    6 It uses tons of ink off an inkjet
    7 Because the transfer paper is thick, paper jams are invetiable
    8 Mirrioring every word and picture is a nightmare if you aint got the right software package
    9 The smell (fumes given off) is gagging
    10 It makes you tired
    11 *MOST IMPORTANTLY* It makes you question why you should bother making the t-shirt in the first place

So if I was u and want to have a custom t-shirt that you can actually wear out of your house let alone a club where its all about how you look go to a printers and have it done there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    Anyways side tracking
    ...We all wore shoody customised t-shirts that I created (badly), they cost more than £8 each and to be honest they looked really crap cos I used my inkjet printer and my iron at home. You've got to get a lot of practice in to create a iron transfer t-shirt which looks half decent. Because using the ironing method you can encounter the following problems....
    10 It makes you tired
    Sounds pretty similar to me. If you do everything exactly right you can come out with a nice T-shirt at the end. If you make a few slips you just have a real mess. I've done 3 tshirts using transfer paper. The first came out really nicely but still fell apart after around 10 washes. The second I didn't iron it for long enough and it started cracking and peeling after a few days. The third i forgot to invert the design so the so the transfer paper was useless.

Having said that it's pretty cheap and fun making your own. It only costs around £1 a sheet for the paper and £3 for a plain white T-shirt. I am looking at getting one professionly done - lots of places do it online - the cheapest ive seen is http://www.eshirt.it (£13 in p&p though they don't give you much control.

I will probalby get it done locally no idea what it will cost yet though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

Im now ordering some at work whcih I have to come up with a design for.

ReputationRep:
    ive done a t-shirt transfer for my sis and it looks kool.
    i was going to make her another one using silkscreen at skool, but someone broke the UV light and im screwed.

you know at the shops, kan they print white onto some colour, kos i mean, printers kant print white.

basically, get the picture you want, and make a realy big version of it in a gif format, kos on jpgs you will see elements of your image in white areas, put it in word, then in your printer settings, make it mirror and best quality and put the brightness up a notch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    I've made my own customised t-shirts 2! About 3 weeks ago me and my group of friends from sixth form went on this wikkid pub crawl, called "The Circle Line Pub Crawl", it a pub crawl ...
    So if I was u and want to have a custom t-shirt that you can actually wear out of your house let alone a club where its all about how you look go to a printers and have it done there!

We did that for my mates 18th in November but we got a bus instead coz its cheaper. and we didnt get off at every stop, just in each area. problwm with buses is they take...what am i waflling about?! im meant to be talking about t-shirts. anyhooo, i know you wan something looking professional but we just got cheap tops from Atlantic Clothing (£2.50 each!!) and then cut them up a bit, tied them back together a bit, wrote on them with marker pen and got everyone we met along the way to sign us. It's a good good thing to do!!

ReputationRep:
    We made little slutty tops which said Frodo lives. Oh man it was so funny! .... thats another story though...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.