Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering if any (preferably native) french speakers give me some advice on how to say "every little helps".

My guess was "chaque petit geste aide" or "chaque petit geste compte"? But I feel as if it doesn't sound very french and that it's just an unauthentic direct translation.

It's in the context of protecting the environment. I'm basically saying what I do to protect the environment.....which isn't a lot, but every little helps.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Less literal, but the message is still the same.
    Il n'y a rien qui n'est pas utile

Or phrased as either
    • Il n'y a rien qui ne peut pas etre utile
    • Il n'y a rien qui ne serait pas utile

Or in a similar vein
    Il n'y a rien qui n'aide pas

Or phrased as:
    • Il n'y a rien qui ne peut pas aider
    • Il n'y a rien qui n'aiderais pas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scratchyjam)
    Was just wondering if any (preferably native) french speakers give me some advice on how to say "every little helps".

My guess was "chaque petit geste aide" or "chaque petit geste compte"? But I feel as if it doesn't sound very french and that it's just an unauthentic direct translation.

It's in the context of protecting the environment. I'm basically saying what I do to protect the environment.....which isn't a lot, but every little helps.

Thanks.
    There's the idiom "les petits ruisseaux font les grandes rivières", but I think "chaque petit geste compte" would work better actually and a quick google search shows many articles on the environment using this phrase: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%2...w=1366&bih=653

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    There's the idiom "les petits ruisseaux font les grandes rivières", but I think "chaque petit geste compte" would work better actually and a quick google search shows many articles on the environment using this phrase: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%2...w=1366&bih=653
    Ah, spot on. Think i'll try and slip both in when possible, that idiom/proverb might impress the examiner. Thanks for your help.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.