The Student Room Group

How early did you start thinking about university?

I'm in year 12 now, so I won't be going off to uni for another year and six months (yes, I'm counting) but I'm always actively researching universities and have a few prospectuses from universities I like the look of. Do you think this is far too soon? None of my friends give a **** yet!
And, as the title asks, when did you start thinking of/ looking into universities?

Scroll to see replies

Nope, never too early to start - I began in the same year as you.

Don't forget that you can go to open days this summer after your exams to get a better idea about how universities differ.
(edited 11 years ago)
This is perfect timing. Most of the open days are in June, I didn't start thinking about it early enough (although I was certain of my first choice) and I didn't narrow my list down quickly enough to make any of the open days.

It's one thing saying 'Ooh there's an open day next tuesday' but how far away is it? How are you going to get there? Are your parents going to come to? Can you drive there or do you need train tickets? How expensive are train tickets a week in advance?
I'm in the same year as you, we've basically been told to start thinking now. I've been thinking for over a year (not even joking) but I am keen, and I've booked open days already - then again, I am going for medicine so it's just as well I started thinking early!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I wanted to ask the same thing :smile:
I am starting to research now, I guess you can never be too early.

What university's are you looking at by the way?
It's always better to start earlier than later. I didn't know what I wanted to study at first, so I began looking at unis around December of Year 12.
Well I first started looking when my brother looked at universities when he was in Year 12 and I was Year 9. So no, it isn't too early for you, now is a good time :tongue:
Reply 7
Since the start of year11
Yeah I'd advise starting as early as possible. Well in Scittish terms at the end of fourth year (15/16) or half way through fifth year (16/17). I only started really looking at courses in September 2012 for 13 entry, and well I applied for 4 physics courses and an engineering course as a sorta way of filling an option but now, thankfully, I'm so glad I chose that option as I'm now going to firm that course. I didn't do enough research and can say I'm quite lucky that I did apply for this engineering course as it sounds like a perfect match for me.

So, as a previous poster said, it's never to early!
It's never too early to start thinking about it. Indeed, you're probably a little later than average, and I'm surprised your school / college hasn't yet started talking about it.
Reply 10
I've been thinking about it for 4 years now, and I'm starting in September :L I chose my first choice university then aswell and I ended up going to it!
Reply 11
No it's not too early! I did around Christmas time in year 12, nobody else did. Then realised I would not get in with the subjects I'm doing and lack of work experience (for nursing), then by Easter of year 12 I had already sent an application form to another college. I carried on biology to A2 and started double health and social AS. I had a massive bag full of uni prospectuses, booked open days and had ideas for work experience. When I started college (which by this time I would have being applying for uni) I was only just getting work experience and voluntary work sorted. That first year of college I did quite a lot of research, sorted my personal statement, so when it came to the following September I could send it quite early. I finished biology, now this year I am only doing double health and social. My college life is such a doddle this year because I only need CC, I got AB last year, a few UMS marks of AA, and I don't even need to turn up to my exams this summer and il still get the grades (we do assignments too). So through this time I've managed to get my driving licence, work experience, good grades compared to what I need. I now have four uni offers (withdrew from the last one I was waiting for because I had the ones I wanted) and have managed to save money from my job for uni.
If I wasn't looking into in year 12, I would have ended up like a lot I my friends from 6th form, not getting into a course I wanted to or really thought about where i was going. It's never too early to start thinking about uni!
(edited 11 years ago)
I started looking in year 11, which looking back was probably about right, although it did mean I missed out on that year of summer schools/ work experience, which I kind of regret. But in year 10 I didn't have much of an idea what I wanted to do, and I still changed my mind in year 12! I didn't start thoroughly looking and going around loads of open days until mid-late year 12 though, when I had finally decided what exactly I wanted to do.
Reply 13
I was looking by the summer after I finished year 12, I was originally planning on doing a straight History course, but I asked alot of questions, and my cousin (who is quite intellectual) pointed out that I enjoy American and learning about it (which I did in my AS history after doing Korea & Vietnam and Black Civil Rights) so I decided on doing a Joint History and American and Canadian Studies degree, and found the Uni of Nottingham and fell in love <3.

I have to get the grades this year, but I think it is important to begin asking question possibly after your AS's are over, and maybe after you get your results.
I'm in the same year as you, have been "browsing" since Year 11, actively searching from January. I think its good timing now, and I'm always surprised to hear my friends not even think about if they're going to uni or not
Reply 15
Since I was about... 19. I didn't really want to go until I saw a degree I REALLY wanted to do (forensic computing), so when UCAS opened I applied. I am only 20 now that being said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
When I asked my parents which is better - college or university, they said I was going to university. KK.
Reply 17
Thanks for the answers everyone!

Original post by JeromeM
I wanted to ask the same thing :smile:
I am starting to research now, I guess you can never be too early.

What university's are you looking at by the way?

Either Bristol, Newcastle or Nottingham, for either English Literature and Creative Writing or English Literature and English Language!

Original post by lucyab
No it's not too early! I did around Christmas time in year 12, nobody else did. Then realised I would not get in with the subjects I'm doing and lack of work experience (for nursing), then by Easter of year 12 I had already sent an application form to another college. I carried on biology to A2 and started double health and social AS. I had a massive bag full of uni prospectuses, booked open days and had ideas for work experience. When I started college (which by this time I would have being applying for uni) I was only just getting work experience and voluntary work sorted. That first year of college I did quite a lot of research, sorted my personal statement, so when it came to the following September I could send it quite early. I finished biology, now this year I am only doing double health and social. My college life is such a doddle this year because I only need CC, I got AB last year, a few UMS marks of AA, and I don't even need to turn up to my exams this summer and il still get the grades (we do assignments too). So through this time I've managed to get my driving licence, work experience, good grades compared to what I need. I now have four uni offers (withdrew from the last one I was waiting for because I had the ones I wanted) and have managed to save money from my job for uni.
If I wasn't looking into in year 12, I would have ended up like a lot I my friends from 6th form, not getting into a course I wanted to or really thought about where i was going. It's never too early to start thinking about uni!

This answer was really motivating! Thank you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
January last year, I'm in the year above, off to Uni this September. If you can start writing your personal statements early then you can get quick help from personal statement helpers and take stress off the first part of applying :smile:
Haven't started yet.

Almost finished my first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending