The Student Room Group

How early did you start thinking about university?

Scroll to see replies

GCSE Results day :P

Made me feel better reading that GCSE's are insignificant if they're backed up by strong AS results :P
Reply 21
Not seriously until after my summer AS exams. People get too caught up with it all and lose focus on what is really important.
About year 8. I didn't understand anything I was looking at but I'd already made a plan to go to Wakefield College to do A-levels and a childcare NVQ, then do Childhood Studies at Plymouth, Psychology at Oxford, EYPS at UWE and then postgrad Clinical Psychology at Oxford... So obviously I had no idea what I was doing, not quite sure at what point my aspirations because useful/possible :rofl:
Reply 23
I started about year 10 because there were several summer schools I went on. Prospectuses and open days mid year 12, you're at the perfect time :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by manic_fuzz
About year 8. I didn't understand anything I was looking at but I'd already made a plan to go to Wakefield College to do A-levels and a childcare NVQ, then do Childhood Studies at Plymouth, Psychology at Oxford, EYPS at UWE and then postgrad Clinical Psychology at Oxford... So obviously I had no idea what I was doing, not quite sure at what point my aspirations because useful/possible :rofl:

I go to Wakefield college :O ! Never on my time on here havi I seen anyone that goes/went to wakefield college!
Original post by lucyab
I go to Wakefield college :O ! Never on my time on here havi I seen anyone that goes/went to wakefield college!

Oh I didn't, I ended up going to a sixth-form in Cornwall. It's just that in Year 8 I randomly found the Wakefield College website and for some reason thought it was the only college in the UK that did A-levels :lol:
Reply 26
It was about 9am.
Reply 27
Original post by hrbrox
This is perfect timing. Most of the open days are in June, I didn't start thinking about it early enough (although I was certain of my first choice) and I didn't narrow my list down quickly enough to make any of the open days.

It's one thing saying 'Ooh there's an open day next tuesday' but how far away is it? How are you going to get there? Are your parents going to come to? Can you drive there or do you need train tickets? How expensive are train tickets a week in advance?

Don't be put off if the website says the open day is full. Send them an email, and judging by my experience, they would be more than willing to accommodate you on the condition you keep it quiet!
I think I started vaguely researching universities in Year 9 because I was looking at going to the US. But much more in-depth research from Year 12 onwards. :smile:
Original post by Sean9001
Don't be put off if the website says the open day is full. Send them an email, and judging by my experience, they would be more than willing to accommodate you on the condition you keep it quiet!

Assuming this is an addition to my post and is aimed at OP since I'm year 13 and have 5 offers.

But yeah OP even if it says it's full just turn up and walk past the sign-in bit. You might have to sacrifice a few freebies though :wink:
Reply 30
Original post by manic_fuzz
Oh I didn't, I ended up going to a sixth-form in Cornwall. It's just that in Year 8 I randomly found the Wakefield College website and for some reason thought it was the only college in the UK that did A-levels :lol:

Haha that's so strange! Out of everywhere that does a levels you found a college in a tiny city in west Yorkshire lol. Its weird how people remember things too like how you remember the name of it!
Reply 31
Original post by Kateislate
I'm in year 12 now, so I won't be going off to uni for another year and six months (yes, I'm counting) but I'm always actively researching universities and have a few prospectuses from universities I like the look of. Do you think this is far too soon? None of my friends give a **** yet!
And, as the title asks, when did you start thinking of/ looking into universities?

I don't think it's too soon, some people I know had already worked out their choices before even starting yr 12. I only started to really look at unis after xmas in yr 13 which was quite late compared to everyone else in my year at school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending