Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Music in the past was sooo much better than it is now" Watch

ReputationRep:
    If I had a penny for every time I'd heard someone say this phrase, let's just say I would be very rich. I was wondering what other TSR users' opinions were on this matter.

I tend to wonder if it really is as true as everyone says it is. Don't get me wrong, I am a massive fan of music from past decades, particularly the 60's. The amount of passion the artists had for music was immense. However, now that the 60's were 50 years ago, I wonder whether it's only really the inspirational, influential artists who tend to get remembered, leaving people with this rose tinted view of the past. I am not denying that there is so much drivel in the charts nowadays, with lots of artists simply being in it for the money and the lifestyle. However, there has always been lots of crap music, just they simply get forgotten about. I'm sure in 20 years time One Direction aren't going to have left any lasting legacy on the music industry, just as the crap artists from times gone by have. If you look beyond the top 40, you will find a multitude of artists today who are in it for a love of music, and a genuine passion for their art. Is it right to simply label all the music of today as "crap"?

ReputationRep:
    Not all of it is crap. I'm a big fan of music from all decades, particularly 80s and 90s, but some of the music today is still great. I do think though that a lot of artists today, who produce great music, are overshadowed by other artists. In previous decades, I don't think that would happen.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that all of today's music is crap, just most the stuff that makes it into the charts. There's still good music being made, it just doesn't seem to be as popular as the rubbish that sells i.e. Nicky Minaj, Bieber, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above poster. There is loads of amazing music today, I'd argue more so down due to the addition of electronic music as technology has progressed. It is definitely overshadowed by the mainstream pop music which has certainly got worse. That being said there's plenty of great artists you just have to look beyond the charts.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree that it was better - there was a hell of a lot of good stuff, but I prefer new music, the modernity of current music is good. I enjoy listening to the evolution of music, the electronic offshoot particularly. Music has come a long way and it has got better and worse. If you look beyond the charts you have an enormous wealth of music to expunge

ReputationRep:
    mainstream yes. The Beatles for example, a band I really hate to listen to with the exception of a few songs. Then we have the likes of Justin Bieber who, is even less to my taste.

However Bruce Springsteen's album in 2011 (**** two years already) was just as good as his older stuff, that says a lot considering just how good his older stuff was.

There are many great musicians out there today, just seems the mainstream is a little poor, but not always. I'd class Alt-J as mainstream and the Awesome Wave Album was amazing.

I have an ipod full of bands rarely heard of on the radio but with great songs. These are bands that most people have heard of also, so I'm not trying to be that annoying 'indie hipster' by saying **** like 'yeah you just need to go underground' etc. Bands like TV on the Radio for example.

As for the 60s, just take a look at Charles Manson and compare him with today, I'd pick biebs anytime...

The 60s in 5minutes

ReputationRep:
    Depends what music you listen to as well, some genres might not be as good now as they were years ago. But generally there are still artists out today that push boundaries and make good music. You just have to look a bit further than Radio 1 and music channels to find them though, and if you can't be bothered to do that then you don't deserve to know what good music is.

ReputationRep:
    Music isn't really functional. You listen to music because you enjoy it. If you enjoy it more, its better. Nicky Minaj may be considered senseless rubbish compared to the Beatles but I'm sure many would consider the Beatles senseless rubbish compared to some of the great composers. Its just different tastes.

ReputationRep:
    Much of it is crap. However, I don't dispute that there are still those out there making good music, just that the ones that do are completely overshadowed by the trash that's pumped into the charts. Lots of money to be made in the music business, mainly mindless kids buying what their friends do. Nonetheless, anyone who does say "music used to be so much better" does kind of have a valid point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Depends what music you listen to as well, some genres might not be as good now as they were years ago. But generally there are still artists out today that push boundaries and make good music. You just have to look a bit further than Radio 1 and music channels to find them though, and if you can't be bothered to do that then you don't deserve to know what good music is.
    I agree that you've got to do a bit of digging to find good music now, but is what you find better than the best stuff that came out of the sixties and seventies? I'm not sure.

Nevertheless, I find quite a lot of pop music from that period really appalling- artistically redundant. So maybe it is a bit myopic to dismiss modern music- we definitely look at the past through rose-tinted spectacles.

ReputationRep:
    I only hear this from pretentious morons who wear waistcoats to uni and like to walk around with a copy of Nietzsche to show how intellectually transcendental they are. I'm glad they find this generation's music to be crap because quite frankly, I could never see myself hanging around with such toffs. They can stick to their "indie gigs" and their superfluous belief that the Beatles are the greatest thing ever.

Why does every song have to have a meaning? just mellow out ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimson_King)
    I agree that you've got to do a bit of digging to find good music now, but is what you find better than the best stuff that came out of the sixties and seventies? I'm not sure.

Nevertheless, I find quite a lot of pop music from that period really appalling- artistically redundant. So maybe it is a bit myopic to dismiss modern music- we definitely look at the past through rose-tinted spectacles.
    I think it's justified though, because if music that was made 40 years ago is still being listened to today then that means it's lasted the ages and is timeless, something which music that is made today cannot yet lay claim to.

As for your question, I don't know. I think there is a lot of good Hip-Hop being made now and I prefer some of it to the so called "golden age" Hip-Hop but as for Rock, I'm not so sure. I've not found anything recent that I enjoy as much as the stuff I listen to that was made when my parents were kids.

ReputationRep:
    I think it strives partly from what we heard when we were younger.
    You have fonder memories of things that are from the past.

People growing up now will find music now better than music coming in 10 or so years. Its just the way it is. But it just depends what they tend to listen to at a younger age.

We all link pleasure from older music we might have heard when we were younger.
    If like me, you had parents that listened to a variety of music, that has too grown up with you, but I still like modern music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Music isn't really functional. You listen to music because you enjoy it. If you enjoy it more, its better. Nicky Minaj may be considered senseless rubbish compared to the Beatles but I'm sure many would consider the Beatles senseless rubbish compared to some of the great composers. Its just different tastes.
    Very good point, it's all relative and subjective anyway. I think there's good and bad music in any era, and like you said OP it's the good stuff that gets remembered and makes us think that's all there was at that time.

What amuses me is how these types of people who say music nowadays is rubbish compared to the 1960s/70s/80s seem to think music only started then, when in reality there was music in the 1950s, 1940s, 1930s, 1920s and shock horror even earlier. Singers like Vera Lynn, Helen Morgan, Marion Harris were all huge, and yet nobody seems to cite them as being great artists. And then of course there are the classical composers who don't seem to get a look in either.

ReputationRep:
    It is usually said by people who only listen to commercially successful artists and don't really branch out beyond that.

ReputationRep:
    I only ever really hear this said by people who just don't listen to much modern music.

In my opinion music is better than it was. I think it should be as more and more are now able to get into music making competition more fierce than ever. Obviously as a result there is more and more rubbish.

The underground scene is just insanely good whilst the mainstream is as bad as it ever has been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermitthefrog)
    If I had a penny for every time I'd heard someone say this phrase, let's just say I would be very rich. I was wondering what other TSR users' opinions were on this matter.

I tend to wonder if it really is as true as everyone says it is. Don't get me wrong, I am a massive fan of music from past decades, particularly the 60's. The amount of passion the artists had for music was immense. However, now that the 60's were 50 years ago, I wonder whether it's only really the inspirational, influential artists who tend to get remembered, leaving people with this rose tinted view of the past. I am not denying that there is so much drivel in the charts nowadays, with lots of artists simply being in it for the money and the lifestyle. However, there has always been lots of crap music, just they simply get forgotten about. I'm sure in 20 years time One Direction aren't going to have left any lasting legacy on the music industry, just as the crap artists from times gone by have. If you look beyond the top 40, you will find a multitude of artists today who are in it for a love of music, and a genuine passion for their art. Is it right to simply label all the music of today as "crap"?
    Those people obviously haven't heard songs such as:

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSBq8geuJk0

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it is true that the all time peak of music was Shostakovich, I think it is also the case that there is an awful lot of extremely good music around now. I don't even know why people don't notice, since a respectable amount of it reaches the charts.

ReputationRep:
    It's rubbish. The only great era from the past was the 80's, and although we don't have that, we have many great things to go by.
    That being said, I don't listen to pop/chart crap as it is exactly that - crap. In the sense of what is popular, I would say that it has declined, however great tunes are still out there, but harder to find.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.