The Student Room Group

ICE QUEST Scholarship 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by eggfriedrice
Yeah, I've been using the application as an excuse to procrastinate on my other work xD at least it's still semi productive. And ikr! I wish more girls did it too ):

Firmed Bath, insured Loughborough. And yourself, ero sennin? :wink:

:lol: exactly what i did, don't feel as guilty afterwards :wink: !!

Wow I'm impressed a naruto fan even exists in the engineering forum, good to know I'm not the only dork :biggrin:

I'm actually a Mechanical Eng applicant, but im aware of the scholarship as I told one of my friends who wants to do civil about it xD I myself did the IMechE one.

Firm: University Of Sussex.
Insurance: Swansea University.
Original post by a10
:lol: exactly what i did, don't feel as guilty afterwards :wink: !!

Wow I'm impressed a naruto fan even exists in the engineering forum, good to know I'm not the only dork :biggrin:

I'm actually a Mechanical Eng applicant, but im aware of the scholarship as I told one of my friends who wants to do civil about it xD I myself did the IMechE one.

Firm: University Of Sussex.
Insurance: Swansea University.

I've liked Naruto since year 6 :') first anime in Japanese I ever watched, it brought me into the word of nerdiness haha. Lately I haven't been feelings it though, I'm like 6 episodes behind the latest and I don't feel any urges to watch it.

Oh I see 0: didn't realise there was also a scholarship for mechanical engineers.

What grades do your unis want?
Reply 42
I've liked Naruto since year 6 :') first anime in Japanese I ever watched, it brought me into the word of nerdiness haha. Lately I haven't been feelings it though, I'm like 6 episodes behind the latest and I don't feel any urges to watch it.

Oh I see 0: didn't realise there was also a scholarship for mechanical engineers.

What grades do your unis want?

The episodes are way behind atm, dont you read the manga? It's by far better!!! I watched naruto when i was 13 and ever since i just followed up the story n its got very interesting :lol:.

The one for mechanical eng is not as nice as the ICE one. There's only 4 companies sponsoring mine and you have to answer two big questions each a page long on an engineering question they ask and also supply your uni choices and grades but you can only get interships from 2 of the companies (Jaguar and the second one is Amec (some nuclear company)), also only like 5 people get it whereas with the ICE one u have like 40 companies which may offer you the same thing but thats life its not fair :wink: lol.

ABB-BBB for first year entry. If i screw up my grades and don't make that bracket then i'll still go but ill then do Mech Eng with an included foundation year. What grades are yours asking for?
Original post by a10
The episodes are way behind atm, dont you read the manga? It's by far better!!! I watched naruto when i was 13 and ever since i just followed up the story n its got very interesting :lol:.

The one for mechanical eng is not as nice as the ICE one. There's only 4 companies sponsoring mine and you have to answer two big questions each a page long on an engineering question they ask and also supply your uni choices and grades but you can only get interships from 2 of the companies (Jaguar and the second one is Amec (some nuclear company)), also only like 5 people get it whereas with the ICE one u have like 40 companies which may offer you the same thing but thats life its not fair :wink: lol.

ABB-BBB for first year entry. If i screw up my grades and don't make that bracket then i'll still go but ill then do Mech Eng with an included foundation year. What grades are yours asking for?

Nope, I don't read manga unless I have to because then I don't see the point of watching the anime xD

Dayum 0.0 thats unfortunate and sounds much harder. Is it because there's less mechanical eng companies than civil? Either way, good luck!!

Have you applied for BEng or Meng? Bath wants A*AA or AAAA, one of them is the extended project so I'm not taking four A levels xD I'm aiming for the AAAA one though, A* is probably beyond me. :s
Original post by ScottishDan
What companies would you like to work with? From just looking at their websites and some of their projects I quite like AECOM, Atkins, Hyder, Laing O'Rourke and Skanska, maybe Buro Happold.. I'm mainly interested in buildings/structures.

If you're into your structures: Arup = Holy Grail

Also, what uni are you hoping to go to? If you're going to Bath then apply to Buro Happold...
Reply 45
Nope, I don't read manga unless I have to because then I don't see the point of watching the anime xD

Dayum 0.0 thats unfortunate and sounds much harder. Is it because there's less mechanical eng companies than civil? Either way, good luck!!

Have you applied for BEng or Meng? Bath wants A*AA or AAAA, one of them is the extended project so I'm not taking four A levels xD I'm aiming for the AAAA one though, A* is probably beyond me. :s

There's loads of mech eng companies, also because its such a broad discipline a lot of the civil eng companies actually take on mech eng graduates as well as civil. The scholarship had sponsorship from Roll-Royce, Amec,Jaguar Land Rover and something else cant remember the last one.

I applied for BEng. I plan on moving up to MEng when at uni they let you do it if ur performance is good enough and achieving the BEng grades is easier than achieving the MEng grades so its less pressure but still hard. Now that i look back i really wish i chosen two hard subjects(so the ones im doing now maths n physics) and one easy one(something like ICT or Design Tech) but oh well :lol:.

Wow are you feeling confident towards achieving that? What did loughborough offer you?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tom123456
did this last year. i wouldnt bother mentioning any specific companies you want to work for on the application form. when its sent off, the ice will look at it and decide if they think your a suitable applicant. if so, they will ask you to choose 5 companies from the list and send your application off to them. the companies will then let ice know who they would like to interview, so the applicant can have up to 5 interviews in a day in london.

thats why i wouldnt recommend mentioning specific companies, because it will almost certainly put the other companies off, and you might not even get an interview with the company you mention, which would be really shooting yourself in the foot for any others.

any questions about the scheme im more than happy to answer

Agree with the above- try to keep your initial application open to all companies as you don't want to be too specific early on.

When I applied before my course (4 years ago), I had to put down my top 2 choices of firms to interview with. I ended up getting 1 of my choices on the assessment day as well as another firm interviewing me, so you may end up being interviewed by a company which you did not originally put down.

As for me, I landed an unpartnered ICE QUEST Scholarship. I was disappointed at first, since you are guaranteed summer placements each year when partnered, plus you get £1500/year instead of the £3000/year when with a company.

However, I have to say that being unpartnered has definitely worked out for me in the long run. I have been able to work at a number of different firms during the summer months, which has definitely added variety to my CV. My university course also offers a placement year, and so I was flexible and able to apply for work wherever I wanted to. Just putting this out there in case some of you end up in my situation. The scholarship looks good on your CV when applying for placements or graduate rolls regardless of whether you are partnered or not.

Best of luck everyone with the applications, any questions give me a shout.
Original post by a10
There's loads of mech eng companies, also because its such a broad discipline a lot of the civil eng companies actually take on mech eng graduates as well as civil. The scholarship had sponsorship from Roll-Royce, Amec,Jaguar Land Rover and something else cant remember the last one.

I applied for BEng. I plan on moving up to MEng when at uni they let you do it if ur performance is good enough and achieving the BEng grades is easier than achieving the MEng grades so its less pressure but still hard. Now that i look back i really wish i chosen two hard subjects(so the ones im doing now maths n physics) and one easy one(something like ICT or Design Tech) but oh well :lol:.

Wow are you feeling confident towards achieving that? What did loughborough offer you?

I thought the first three years are the same with Beng and MEng so one shouldn't be harder than the other 0:
And IKR! I do physics, maths and chemistry, but tbh I don't really need chemistry. Something easier would be much nicer.

Erm, as long as I get all A's in the exams, even low As then I'll be fine. But I'm retaking C1,2,3 and hopefully will get 95%, 90%, and 85% so I'll only need around 70% for C4 and M2. I should have retook M1 too, I could have got over 80% if I read the friking questions last time . -_- ah well too late.
Loughborough want AAB.
Original post by a10

Just some advice here:

Trust me, you don't wish that you studied an easy subject at A Levels. Companies ALWAYS pay attention to your A Levels, AS Levels and GCSEs so you want to study challenging subjects and perform as well as you can in them.

If you're doing civil engineering at a top place, an A* in Chemistry or Further Maths is miles ahead of an A* in ICT or Design Tech. A Levels don't only get you into uni, but they help get you an interview for placements or a graduate position. Unfortunately, you will realise just how competitive the graduate market is when you start applying, so just work hard now and it will pay off in the future.
Reply 49
I thought the first three years are the same with Beng and MEng so one shouldn't be harder than the other 0:
And IKR! I do physics, maths and chemistry, but tbh I don't really need chemistry. Something easier would be much nicer.

Erm, as long as I get all A's in the exams, even low As then I'll be fine. But I'm retaking C1,2,3 and hopefully will get 95%, 90%, and 85% so I'll only need around 70% for C4 and M2. I should have retook M1 too, I could have got over 80% if I read the friking questions last time . -_- ah well too late.
Loughborough want AAB.

only difference with applying for MEng rather than BEng is when u start the course you'll be on the MEng stream but it makes no difference really because if you dont do well and maintain a certain average they will put you in BEng stream anyway but yeah you're right the 3 years are exactly the same its only 4th year thats the difference.

Lol im retaking C1,D2 and i've got Fp1,S1,C4 in the summer :/
Reply 50
Original post by businesslad
Just some advice here:

Trust me, you don't wish that you studied an easy subject at A Levels. Companies ALWAYS pay attention to your A Levels, AS Levels and GCSEs so you want to study challenging subjects and perform as well as you can in them.

yeah i know its important but i wouldnt say its 100% reliant on this, for most top jobs they specify the grades in the description ie. "At least grade B or above in A-level Maths and Physics and at least 2:1 or above".
Original post by a10
yeah i know its important but i wouldnt say its 100% reliant on this, for most top jobs they specify the grades in the description ie. "At least grade B or above in A-level Maths and Physics and at least 2:1 or above".

Not quite right I'm afraid as I have been through it myself during internship, placement and graduate applications. In terms of your degree classification, companies never distinguish between a First and a 2:1.

However, so many people are applying to every placement/ graduate position at the moment, and it looks like staying that way for a while yet. When you have 100 applicants for 1 position (often the case) all from good universities with good degrees, it is inevitable that they will look at your A Levels and GCSEs.

The company I worked with on placement last year took on 12 placement students, with 2040 total applicants. That is 170/position, and what stood me out just to get a first-round interview were my school grades, ICE scholarship and extra-curricular involvement.
Reply 52
Is anyone else having trouble with making it not sound too cheesy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by astrojg
Is anyone else having trouble with making it not sound too cheesy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, give me an example of cheesy.
Reply 54
Hmm, give me an example of cheesy.

The like of: I would love to go into this. and stuff like that
Original post by astrojg
The like of: I would love to go into this. and stuff like that

I don't see how that's cheesy o.o I mean if there's a particular sub discipline of civil engineering you're interested in, then just stating that isn't cheesy at all. Unless you say something like "it's been my life long dream to enter this discipline blah blah."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
I don't see how that's cheesy o.o I mean if there's a particular sub discipline of civil engineering you're interested in, then just stating that isn't cheesy at all. Unless you say something like "it's been my life long dream to enter this discipline blah blah."

Overall it sounds that bad though. And i seem to be repeating my self as a lot of the questions seem extremly similar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by astrojg
Overall it sounds that bad though. And i seem to be repeating my self as a lot of the questions seem extremly similar

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok. Hmm now you're making me paranoid about my possible cheesiness. XD

Have you finished your application yet?
Reply 58
Ah ok. Hmm now you're making me paranoid about my possible cheesiness. XD

Have you finished your application yet?

No :-) . You? I think im just going to have to put up with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by astrojg
No :-) . You? I think im just going to have to put up with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've almost finished, just half a section left. My reference has been sent off though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending