Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anybody is applying (or going) to Essex to study Int. Rel. and Mod. Lang. w/ year abroad in 2013/14 obvs

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Can't really say too much about the languages, but Politics is awesome--IR lecturers really care--Natasha Ezrow teaches many of the main modules and is readily available for students. Also, they're hiring and next year bringing on new modules that the new hires will teach. Lots of really cool stuff in the classes and a very active politics society. My friends who have studied abroad in Canada have really liked it (sadly, in English), but I do know the department is really trying to tighten links with German institutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politicslover)
    Hi! Can't really say too much about the languages, but Politics is awesome--IR lecturers really care--Natasha Ezrow teaches many of the main modules and is readily available for students. Also, they're hiring and next year bringing on new modules that the new hires will teach. Lots of really cool stuff in the classes and a very active politics society. My friends who have studied abroad in Canada have really liked it (sadly, in English), but I do know the department is really trying to tighten links with German institutions.
    Thank you so much for answering!! I went to the Open Day there and talked to the teacher responsible for the politics department and also the one responsible for the languages department (cause I had to convert my grades to the A-levels and check if I could apply for the course (hehe) and she was the expert), and they all seemed soo wonderful and really caring, but you can't help being worried as for going abroad, i'm torn between germany and latin america (it's really developing atm and i read Chile is a great country for studying). Any thoughts on that?

ReputationRep:
    Hey asr,

As a matter of fact I'm an offer holder of this course aswell. Nice to see some fellow applicants. I'm still torn between Queen Mary and Essex - leaning towards Essex though, due to lots of great responses about the campus and the staff. Still extrapolating my offer, awaiting some explanation from their Senior Admissions Adviser. If I pick to firm Essex, I'll probably choose French and hopefully go to Quebec.
    Have you already firm your offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaureS)
    Hey asr,

As a matter of fact I'm an offer holder of this course aswell. Nice to see some fellow applicants. I'm still torn between Queen Mary and Essex - leaning towards Essex though, due to lots of great responses about the campus and the staff. Still extrapolating my offer, awaiting some explanation from their Senior Admissions Adviser. If I pick to firm Essex, I'll probably choose French and hopefully go to Quebec.
    Have you already firm your offer?
    Hey!

Yes I did. I don't know much about Queen Mary but I'm pretty sure they don't have International Relations and Modern Languages, only International Relations. I don't know which course you'd like to attend better. About Quebec, I think that would be a great choice! I've heard good things about Universities and Education in general there. But bear in mind that their french is different from France french. (I'm sure you already know this anyway) I read once they use subtitles in Canadian french tv shows when they air in France but I wouldn't know if it's completely true... just a curiosity! Though I think that for someone with a good fluency in french it would be easy to pick up the differences while immersed in the language, i wouldn't know because I don't speak French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asrtp02)
    Hey!

Yes I did. I don't know much about Queen Mary but I'm pretty sure they don't have International Relations and Modern Languages, only International Relations. I don't know which course you'd like to attend better. About Quebec, I think that would be a great choice! I've heard good things about Universities and Education in general there. But bear in mind that their french is different from France french. (I'm sure you already know this anyway) I read once they use subtitles in Canadian french tv shows when they air in France but I wouldn't know if it's completely true... just a curiosity! Though I think that for someone with a good fluency in french it would be easy to pick up the differences while immersed in the language, i wouldn't know because I don't speak French.
    Yeah, I had applied for the 'pure' IR in Queen Mary. But the prices of accomodation in London aren't too attractive for me and the district is not that great, so I rather pick Essex, cause of it's international diversity and higher rank in Politics (it's not that far from London either). Regarding Quebec, I actually only started contemplating on my language choice. I didn't even know Canadian French differs from the real French! As I said, hadn't given much thought to it yet , mainly focusing on fulfilling my offer and preparing for IELTS and Maturity exams.
    Hopefully we'll meet up on campus in October. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaureS)
    Yeah, I had applied for the 'pure' IR in Queen Mary. But the prices of accomodation in London aren't too attractive for me and the district is not that great, so I rather pick Essex, cause of it's international diversity and higher rank in Politics (it's not that far from London either). Regarding Quebec, I actually only started contemplating on my language choice. I didn't even know Canadian French differs from the real French! As I said, hadn't given much thought to it yet , mainly focusing on fulfilling my offer and preparing for IELTS and Maturity exams.
    Hopefully we'll meet up on campus in October. Cheers.
    Hey. I have to say i like Essex better, especially for politics, like you said. And about the diversity, i can just see me walking around on campus, approaching foreign people to ask them where they're from and if they can speak a little of their language. (Well, not really but i wish i had the nerve!)
    Good luck with the exams and i hope we meet on campus as well!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm a final year Essex student and spent my third year studying French in Quebec. I had an amazing time and it was the reason I chose Essex in the first place, and it was worth it. When you first get to Quebec it's a bit of a shock to hear the French Canadian accent but you get used to it, and it's actually pretty fun to learn their new phrases. The university that you will go to is in the capital of the Province, Quebec City, and it is an incredible place to live. The university is really sociable and friendly, I think a lot better than if you were to go to uni in France as the student life is very different there to how it is in the UK and Canada. Also there are a lot of international students there including lots from France so if you are really worried about Canadian French there are plenty of people who can tone down your accent or explain the funny sayings

I went to summer school there before I started at the university, and Essex waivered the fees for me as part of the link, so you don't have to worry about jumping into the deep end right away and not understanding everything, plus the summer school was probably the best summer of my life! The best thing about coming back to Essex is teasing the other people in my class with phrases they don't understand and I think it's great to be able to understand a slightly different type of French compared to the standard French you're taught at school. So I definitely would recommend going to Essex, not just for Quebec but for all the other things that make Essex great too!

ReputationRep:
    Hey apj,

Thanks for your input! Nice to hear many good things about this uni.
    I recently firmed my offer to Essex. The offer seems reasonable. Can't wait!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.