Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have very low self esteem because boys always used to pick on me and call me ugly when I was younger. The thing is, sometimes I get looks from boys and I don't understand whether I am supposed to take it as a compliment or if they are mocking me. Recently, some guy was sitting there and he wouldn't stop staring at me and smiling, he didn't seem particularly with it, and the other day two boys were talking in the computer room and as I looked up to talk to my friend, one of them was staring at me and smiling,it made me feel like his friend had probably said something like "hey look at how weird she looks" or something and I then started looking down at what I was wearing to make sure nothing was wrong. How do you know if they are looking because they think you look good or they are taking the piss out of you? Is there really a way to tell?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I know how you feel, sometimes I get girls looking at me, but can't tell whether if it's because I'm good looking or not, presumably the latter.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Boy)
    So helpful and so funny LOL !!!!!! Thanks mate xoxoxoxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lef93)
    So helpful and so funny LOL !!!!!! Thanks mate xoxoxoxx

Well you definitely have my brand of sarcasm.

Try smiling back when you notice boys looking, tbh if it happens regularly you're more than likely smokin' hot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lef93)
    I have very low self esteem because boys always used to pick on me and call me ugly when I was younger. The thing is, sometimes I get looks from boys and I don't understand whether I am supposed to take it as a compliment or if they are mocking me. Recently, some guy was sitting there and he wouldn't stop staring at me and smiling, he didn't seem particularly with it, and the other day two boys were talking in the computer room and as I looked up to talk to my friend, one of them was staring at me and smiling,it made me feel like his friend had probably said something like "hey look at how weird she looks" or something and I then started looking down at what I was wearing to make sure nothing was wrong. How do you know if they are looking because they think you look good or they are taking the piss out of you? Is there really a way to tell?
    They fancy you. It's rude to stare at ugly people.

ReputationRep:
    Don't care about what people think of you. This will filter out the decent blokes who judge you by your personality and not by your looks.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably because they find you attractive. I found that when I was at school (and after) there were a lot of girls who got more attractive as they got older. I think that's partly because some girls do just grow into being more attractive, but I think it's also partly that as boys get further through puberty they realise that girls don't have to look like page 3 models to be attractive.

ReputationRep:
    It's safe to say that when boys are looking at you, they are checking you out. Obviously there are exceptions, as if you are wearing an insane outfit, but guys don't stare at you thinking you're ugly.
    As for whether they are really interested, that depends on whether they approach. Work on your posture, smile more and try to have an open body language.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.