Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is also classed as a science, but why is it also classed as an arts/humanities?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    By who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    By who?
    TSR

Plus there are some universities that offer Geography and Environmental Science in their School of Humanities. BA not BSc though.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's not a real science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)

Spoiler:
    Show
    *grabs popcorn*
    thank you for that much valued input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    thank you for that much valued input.
    Fine, yes, Geography's classed as a science, but a huge aspect of Geography is human Geography; which is concerned with people, communities and socio-economic dynamics and how geographical location influences this - things like globalisation, urbanisation, etc so it's also classed as a humanity

ReputationRep:
    Fine, yes, Geography's classed as a science, but a huge aspect of Geography is human Geography; which is concerned with people, communities and socio-economic dynamics and how geographical location influences this - things like globalisation, urbanisation, etc so it's also classed as a humanity
    Calm down Fix it Felix Jr. I was only joking with my last comment.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down Fix it Felix Jr. I was only joking with my last comment.
    Well you asked for valid input and it doesn't look like you're getting much :rolleyes: I had to google who Fix it Felix was :lol:

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    *grabs popcorn*
    This

Real science = Biology, Physics or Chemistry

I don't think it relies on the scientific method, is the main reason. You can't really 'test' some things in Geography, like demolishing a city, to see if has an impact on tourism/urbanisation or culling elderly people to stop an ageing population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by combbrah)
    This

Real science = Biology, Physics or Chemistry
    Mathematics? Oceanography? Geology (and its various subcategories)? etc etc.

Yeah thats right, they aren't real sciences. They are a bunch of phonies.

ReputationRep:
    It's under Sciences, Arts and Humanities and Social Sciences (well redirect in Social and Physical sciences).

Human Geography is rooted more in the social sciences. Physical geography is rooted in the physical sciences.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    By who?
    At school, we had to do a GCSE in a humanity - which was either history, re or geography

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a combination of both. I've heard physical geographers call it a physical science in terms of looking at rocks or soils or weather. But the human geography aspect of it social science/humanities. When I have to choose I describe it as a humanities because I personally study more human geography than physical (even though I get a BSc).

ReputationRep:
    geography is classed as both a science and humanity subject, because it covers a broad spectrum of topics. Geography is actually a large underpin to many scientific subjects, without geography or knowing geographical theories a lot of things would be harder to explain, you will find a lot of scientists used to have geographical backgrounds of some sort of another. Geography also underpins many humanity subjects such as history.

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics? Oceanography? Geology (and its various subcategories)? etc etc.

Yeah thats right, they aren't real sciences. They are a bunch of phonies.
    It's arguable whether mathematics is purely a science. Pah, physics is the only real science, everything else is merely an application:

I refer you to Ernest Rutherford:

All science is either physics or stamp collecting

ReputationRep:
    think this is enough said http://www.rgs.org/geographytoday/what+is+geography.htm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.