Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    In English Language, I am doing a debate for the spoken language study. I am arguing for the idea that there is existence of ghost and paranormal activity. What points could I argue in this debate? What kind of things could I say(e.g. a really powerful rhetorical question). I really want some strong points that my opposition would have difficulty in answering as I really want to take control and basically show there was a clear winner. Also, does anyone know any tips for debating? For example, how to be convincing?
    Thank you for your time

ReputationRep:
    I did this recently, I got 15/15. Basically just use hand gestures and speak poshly like you're in parliament. Rembember it's not an argument, part of band 5 is listening skills and acknowledgement also. Always say to your opposition, "That's a valid point, but have you considered..." or " I see where you're coming from, but what if you think about it from this perspective?" Just don't argue by saying like "Yeah but that's wrong I think this...", let other people talk as well. It's not about who wins the debate gets top band, you just have to carry out a good debate that doesn't sound like a childish argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneakbo2)
    I did this recently, I got 15/15. Basically just use hand gestures and speak poshly like you're in parliament. Rembember it's not an argument, part of band 5 is listening skills and acknowledgement also. Always say to your opposition, "That's a valid point, but have you considered..." or " I see where you're coming from, but what if you think about it from this perspective?" Just don't argue by saying like "Yeah but that's wrong I think this...", let other people talk as well. It's not about who wins the debate gets top band, you just have to carry out a good debate that doesn't sound like a childish argument
    Well done! Yes that is very true, thank you! This has helped me a lot and come to the realise that this is for my English language so I would need to show maturity and good spoken language. Thank you for your excellent tips - I will definitely be using them! Again, thanks for your time :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangee123)
    Hey everyone,
    In English Language, I am doing a debate for the spoken language study. I am arguing for the idea that there is existence of ghost and paranormal activity. What points could I argue in this debate? What kind of things could I say(e.g. a really powerful rhetorical question). I really want some strong points that my opposition would have difficulty in answering as I really want to take control and basically show there was a clear winner. Also, does anyone know any tips for debating? For example, how to be convincing?
    Thank you for your time
    Well, you can try to bring up evidence for your position, but it's mostly going to boil down to experiential evidence by people, which is too subjective. The best thing you can do is exploit the room for doubt in the opposing side's arguments, basically saying they can't KNOW that the supernatural explanation is completely out of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenCook)
    Well, you can try to bring up evidence for your position, but it's mostly going to boil down to experiential evidence by people, which is too subjective. The best thing you can do is exploit the room for doubt in the opposing side's arguments, basically saying they can't KNOW that the supernatural explanation is completely out of the question.
    Okay thanks for the advice, much appreciated :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.