Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather, Van Mildert seems to be very open to a broad array of people. However, the immense intolerant stereotypes against "rahs" (I fear I will be labeled one) makes me wonder how tolerant this College really is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dionysos4)
    From what I gather, Van Mildert seems to be very open to a broad array of people. However, the immense intolerant stereotypes against "rahs" (I fear I will be labeled one) makes me wonder how tolerant this College really is.
    Hiya; I think first I've got to ask what experiences you've had with regards to actual intolerance at Van Mildert, because I don't think I've ever before heard the rah stereotype actually causing distress to anyone. It's rather worrying if it's grown far enough to do so.

In my experience, it's normally a light-hearted joke directed against people that the propagator of the stereotype doesn't actually interact with - by default, if you're friends with the 'anti-rah people', you can't be a rah yourself. If that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dionysos4)
    This and your dissatisfied thread made me laugh.

I'm a mildertian (and I chose it, and went to a grammar school, shock horror!), and you'll be fine. You might get teased a tiny bit, but there's plenty of other rahs here and if people do label you a rah it's always a for a laugh. At mildert everyone gets along and where your from isn't as much an issue as whether or not you're a nice person or not.

And don't think Mildert is like something out of shameless compared to the Bailey colleges, it's still posher than 90% of uni halls in the country. And we have ducks. Loads of my close friends from really posh schools/areas/sheltered upbringings are really glad they got put into mildert, and I have a friend at castle who wishes he'd gone here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bistonut)
    This and your dissatisfied thread made me laugh.

I'm a mildertian (and I chose it, and went to a grammar school, shock horror!), and you'll be fine. You might get teased a tiny bit, but there's plenty of other rahs here and if people do label you a rah it's always a for a laugh. At mildert everyone gets along and where your from isn't as much an issue as whether or not you're a nice person or not.

And don't think Mildert is like something out of shameless compared to the Bailey colleges, it's still posher than 90% of uni halls in the country. And we have ducks. Loads of my close friends from really posh schools/areas/sheltered upbringings are really glad they got put into mildert, and I have a friend at castle who wishes he'd gone here.
    I'm so glad I got Van Mildert.

Haha, but on a serious note - it sounds awesome!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.