Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather, Van Mildert seems to be very open to a broad array of people. However, the immense intolerant stereotypes against "rahs" (I fear I will be labeled one) makes me wonder how tolerant this College really is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dionysos4)
    From what I gather, Van Mildert seems to be very open to a broad array of people. However, the immense intolerant stereotypes against "rahs" (I fear I will be labeled one) makes me wonder how tolerant this College really is.
    Hiya; I think first I've got to ask what experiences you've had with regards to actual intolerance at Van Mildert, because I don't think I've ever before heard the rah stereotype actually causing distress to anyone. It's rather worrying if it's grown far enough to do so.

In my experience, it's normally a light-hearted joke directed against people that the propagator of the stereotype doesn't actually interact with - by default, if you're friends with the 'anti-rah people', you can't be a rah yourself. If that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dionysos4)
    This and your dissatisfied thread made me laugh.

I'm a mildertian (and I chose it, and went to a grammar school, shock horror!), and you'll be fine. You might get teased a tiny bit, but there's plenty of other rahs here and if people do label you a rah it's always a for a laugh. At mildert everyone gets along and where your from isn't as much an issue as whether or not you're a nice person or not.

And don't think Mildert is like something out of shameless compared to the Bailey colleges, it's still posher than 90% of uni halls in the country. And we have ducks. Loads of my close friends from really posh schools/areas/sheltered upbringings are really glad they got put into mildert, and I have a friend at castle who wishes he'd gone here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bistonut)
    This and your dissatisfied thread made me laugh.

I'm a mildertian (and I chose it, and went to a grammar school, shock horror!), and you'll be fine. You might get teased a tiny bit, but there's plenty of other rahs here and if people do label you a rah it's always a for a laugh. At mildert everyone gets along and where your from isn't as much an issue as whether or not you're a nice person or not.

And don't think Mildert is like something out of shameless compared to the Bailey colleges, it's still posher than 90% of uni halls in the country. And we have ducks. Loads of my close friends from really posh schools/areas/sheltered upbringings are really glad they got put into mildert, and I have a friend at castle who wishes he'd gone here.
    I'm so glad I got Van Mildert.

Haha, but on a serious note - it sounds awesome!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.