Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm an international student who's going to study in the UK at undergraduate level next year. I have received offers on UCAS but I'll apply to Newcastle University as I really like their management and marketing degree. But I'm not sure if I'll do that because I just saw that BPP university offers a 2 years accelerated management degree and it will save me some 11000 pounds on tuition fee. Obviously I already searched for 2 years programs but the degrees that I found weren't as good as a degree from a Russell group university. So any idea about BPP or a respected university that offers a 2 years degree? Is it really worth it to go to BPP to complete a degree in 2 years or should one go to Newcastle to study for 3 years?

ReputationRep:
    A two year accelerated degree will not have the same depth of study as a three year degree. At a conventional Uni, even when you are 'not at Uni' (ie. vacations) you will be expected to be studying and writing course essays, researching dissertations etc. The idea that you can simply concentrate study into a smaller time frame doesnt allow you any time for reflection, in depth reading or study of any 'personal interests'. It also wont give you much of an experience of 'being at University' - these 2 year degree colleges are mostly highly commercial money making 'degree factories'. A 3 year degree from any sensible British University will not only be 'worth' more but you will actually have enjoyed being a student here.

Only you can judge the ££ issue - but do think carefully about what you think any advantage a British degree will give you. Would you actually be better doing a degree in your own country if you have to compromise like this?

ReputationRep:
    When you do a 2 year degree you do the same workload as a 3 year degree but over 2 years. You don't get a summer break either. I started a 2 year degree and, due to personal reasons, couldn't continue. It's quite intensive & stressful. So it switched to a 3 year.

BPP would be cheaper and is still a great place. It is not like 'normal' university though in that it isn't campus like. No SU bar etc. but it does have a huge student union that spans the country and its many centres.

There are also universities such a Hertfordshire etc that offer 2 year degree's too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    A two year accelerated degree will not have the same depth of study as a three year degree. At a conventional Uni, even when you are 'not at Uni' (ie. vacations) you will be expected to be studying and writing course essays, researching dissertations etc. The idea that you can simply concentrate study into a smaller time frame doesnt allow you any time for reflection, in depth reading or study of any 'personal interests'. It also wont give you much of an experience of 'being at University' - these 2 year degree colleges are mostly highly commercial money making 'degree factories'. A 3 year degree from any sensible British University will not only be 'worth' more but you will actually have enjoyed being a student here.

Only you can judge the ££ issue - but do think carefully about what you think any advantage a British degree will give you. Would you actually be better doing a degree in your own country if you have to compromise like this?
    Thank you a lot for your response. I'm kind of looking the ups and downs of going to a ''sensible British University''. I've already made tons of researches before but I never came across BPP, then I was convinced to go to Newcastle (really love the place and the course. I had to lower my expectation and decline offers from Durham and Lancaster because of financial issues. Well I can't do my degree in France or Tunisia as they don't have the same quality of teaching, same experience if compared to the UK and moreover I want to finish my studies in English. Plus it has always been my dream to go to the UK. I'm able to pay the tuition fees and living expenses it's just that when I see that I can pay 10000 pound less I'm like lets think it over. I guess I'm just searching for something that will actually have value in terms of employability, student experience, personal development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    When you do a 2 year degree you do the same workload as a 3 year degree but over 2 years. You don't get a summer break either. I started a 2 year degree and, due to personal reasons, couldn't continue. It's quite intensive & stressful. So it switched to a 3 year.

BPP would be cheaper and is still a great place. It is not like 'normal' university though in that it isn't campus like. No SU bar etc. but it does have a huge student union that spans the country and its many centres.

There are also universities such a Hertfordshire etc that offer 2 year degree's too.
    Thank you very much for responding. I was thinking about doing a few modules if I went for a three year degree in Art and Graphic design with the OU (plus my sister went there) during the summer break so I'm used to university who aren't campus like. But I won't have time to do that if I went for a 2 year degree with BPP. Hertfordshire and BPP seem to be the best in terms of reputation IMHO. Buckingham and the other seem to be only looking to make profit. I could get use to the workload if it's really worth the shot. What I clearly don't understand (we don't get any advice if we're not going to France) is if it really gives you an advantage in terms of employability if you go to a Russel Group uni (if you compare them to BPP or Hertfordshire)? I mean would you choose Newcastle over BPP? What are the consequences of such a choice?
    Btw, in which university are you studying? And why did you choose a 2 year degree in the beginning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperskin)
    Thank you very much for responding. I was thinking about doing a few modules if I went for a three year degree in Art and Graphic design with the OU (plus my sister went there) during the summer break so I'm used to university who aren't campus like. But I won't have time to do that if I went for a 2 year degree with BPP. Hertfordshire and BPP seem to be the best in terms of reputation IMHO. Buckingham and the other seem to be only looking to make profit. I could get use to the workload if it's really worth the shot. What I clearly don't understand (we don't get any advice if we're not going to France) is if it really gives you an advantage in terms of employability if you go to a Russel Group uni (if you compare them to BPP or Hertfordshire)? I mean would you choose Newcastle over BPP? What are the consequences of such a choice?
    Btw, in which university are you studying? And why did you choose a 2 year degree in the beginning?
    I went to Greenwich School of Management to study Law over 2 years instead of 3. I was 23 when I started and just wanted to get it over with. I'm now going to Birkbeck, University of London.

It depends what course you want to do I suppose. Something like Law, yes it does matter which university you go to, IE a Russell Group or 1994 group would look better. I can't say if this is the same for other professions, though I suspect not so much.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Greenwich School of Management to study Law over 2 years instead of 3. I was 23 when I started and just wanted to get it over with. I'm now going to Birkbeck, University of London.

It depends what course you want to do I suppose. Something like Law, yes it does matter which university you go to, IE a Russell Group or 1994 group would look better. I can't say if this is the same for other professions, though I suspect not so much.
    I think I'll go with an internationally recognized university in the end. After all, I am an international student. Plus a three year degree means more time to yourself and a part-time job. Though the question still bugs me sometime. But at the end I hope I'll make the right choice. Thank you so much for your response and I wish you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll go with an internationally recognized university in the end. After all, I am an international student. Plus a three year degree means more time to yourself and a part-time job. Though the question still bugs me sometime. But at the end I hope I'll make the right choice. Thank you so much for your response and I wish you all the best!
    Yeah with the 3 year degree you get a summer, which means you can work pretty much full time doing various temporary work to raise some money

ReputationRep:
    Yeah with the 3 year degree you get a summer, which means you can work pretty much full time doing various temporary work to raise some money
    Yep, at the end both degrees are challenging. One academically and socially (2 years) the other one financially and takes more time but the summer vacation (full time job) and a chance to get a part time job during the academic year does compensate.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clear up the statement i have highlighted - the University of Buckingham is actually a registered charity and non profit organisation. All funds are required to be put back into the instituition for further devleopment and research.
    I'm guessing you came to this assumption as the fees are relatively so high compared to other UK universities. The reason for this is Buckingham is (as far as i know) the only fully independant university in the UK and recieves no government funding, working on the same model as many private US universities.

It may not have a particularly 'prestigious' reputation but I would say that was down to its size more than anything (as it has less than 1000 students) and as such individual departments are often not large enough to be considered in national university league tables. It was however ranked 16th out of 120 instutions by the Guardian 'University Guide' 2013, on the other hand ranked 41st by the Times 'Good University Guide' (but how much emphasis can you put into the league tables anyway?).

What Buckingham can offer you is the highest level of student satisfaction in the UK for the last 7 years running (if that bears any weight either) and the second highest student to staff ratio. It is regarded for its oxbridge style teaching with small tutorial groups and intimate student-staff nature. It is also the only instution in the UK that has been doing two year fast track degrees for any length of time (well over 10 years i think) so its obviously an established system that works.

What Buckingham cannot offer you is an abundant and busy social life and long (possibly working) holidays. It is a campus uni located in the tiny town of Buckingham with not much going for it other than a few pubs and peace and quiet! And as I believe mentioned by someone before the two year courses have 4 week terms with only 2-3 weeks holidays inbetween.

But i guess it all depends on what you are looking for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melegyke8)
    Just to clear up the statement i have highlighted - the University of Buckingham is actually a registered charity and non profit organisation. All funds are required to be put back into the instituition for further devleopment and research.
    I'm guessing you came to this assumption as the fees are relatively so high compared to other UK universities. The reason for this is Buckingham is (as far as i know) the only fully independant university in the UK and recieves no government funding, working on the same model as many private US universities.

It may not have a particularly 'prestigious' reputation but I would say that was down to its size more than anything (as it has less than 1000 students) and as such individual departments are often not large enough to be considered in national university league tables. It was however ranked 16th out of 120 instutions by the Guardian 'University Guide' 2013, on the other hand ranked 41st by the Times 'Good University Guide' (but how much emphasis can you put into the league tables anyway?).

What Buckingham can offer you is the highest level of student satisfaction in the UK for the last 7 years running (if that bears any weight either) and the second highest student to staff ratio. It is regarded for its oxbridge style teaching with small tutorial groups and intimate student-staff nature. It is also the only instution in the UK that has been doing two year fast track degrees for any length of time (well over 10 years i think) so its obviously an established system that works.

What Buckingham cannot offer you is an abundant and busy social life and long (possibly working) holidays. It is a campus uni located in the tiny town of Buckingham with not much going for it other than a few pubs and peace and quiet! And as I believe mentioned by someone before the two year courses have 4 week terms with only 2-3 weeks holidays inbetween.

But i guess it all depends on what you are looking for!
    The fees of Buckingham happens to be the same as a three year program and less than LSE (overall). Though the fact that you have to pay the university during the 2 years the same overall fee that you pay for a three year program makes it impractical for me (which is why I made that assumption ). And yes it's a charitable university while another private university The University of Law is a profit making organization. I'm sure Buckingham is good but if I compare the prices to BPP, the University of Hertfordshire, OU or some ''prestigious'' universities it's harder to make the payments at Buckingham. If I had an European nationality I would have without doubt chosen the OU even if student loans exist and the fees are reduced. Anyways at the end of the day only a few institutions comes to mind when you have family/finance issues+ you're an international student and Buckingham is not one of them (at least not for me). If I'll go for the 2 year degree road it will surely be BPP or Hertfordshire but I doubt I'll do that now. Taking your time to learn is essential as much as having time for yourself, your passions and if you need it a part-time job. Though I guess that if finance is not an issue, and you want peace, quite and fast-forward your career, plus your not an independent learner Buckingham is a great choice. At the end all universities have their ups and downs you just have to choose according to your heart and your situation.

ReputationRep:
    The fees of Buckingham happens to be the same as a three year program and less than LSE (overall). Though the fact that you have to pay the university during the 2 years the same overall fee that you pay for a three year program makes it impractical for me (which is why I made that assumption ). And yes it's a charitable university while another private university The University of Law is a profit making organization. I'm sure Buckingham is good but if I compare the prices to BPP, the University of Hertfordshire, OU or some ''prestigious'' universities it's harder to make the payments at Buckingham. If I had an European nationality I would have without doubt chosen the OU even if student loans exist and the fees are reduced. Anyways at the end of the day only a few institutions comes to mind when you have family/finance issues+ you're an international student and Buckingham is not one of them (at least not for me). If I'll go for the 2 year degree road it will surely be BPP or Hertfordshire but I doubt I'll do that now. Taking your time to learn is essential as much as having time for yourself, your passions and if you need it a part-time job. Though I guess that if finance is not an issue, and you want peace, quite and fast-forward your career, plus your not an independent learner Buckingham is a great choice. At the end all universities have their ups and downs you just have to choose according to your heart and your situation.
    Fair comment. And I just so happen to fall into the category at the end of your last post .
    I am still taking out a student loan, which doesn't actually cover the costs, but am lucky enough to be supported by my parents to make up the difference (though i do hope to pay them back someday...). I happen to have been to one of the more 'prestigious' universities already and probably enjoyed myself a bit too much, hence the lack of degree. So the fast track degree suits me and the 'peace and quiet' will hopefully just mean less distractions .
    Maybe i was just being a bit defensive of my new uni but i think Bucks has an undeserved reputation. TBH i thought much the same before going to see the place and experience it, so its understandable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melegyke8)
    Fair comment. And I just so happen to fall into the category at the end of your last post .
    I am still taking out a student loan, which doesn't actually cover the costs, but am lucky enough to be supported by my parents to make up the difference (though i do hope to pay them back someday...). I happen to have been to one of the more 'prestigious' universities already and probably enjoyed myself a bit too much, hence the lack of degree. So the fast track degree suits me and the 'peace and quiet' will hopefully just mean less distractions .
    Maybe i was just being a bit defensive of my new uni but i think Bucks has an undeserved reputation. TBH i thought much the same before going to see the place and experience it, so its understandable.
    Well I hope you'll be able to repay them one day! So in which 'prestigious' uni have been to? How would you describe your experience? I guess there was much partying going on? If yes the peace and quite would fit you perfectly if you can easily be distracted We all are defensive when it comes to our uni, we just have to see them objectively in the end. Btw I heard that Bucks is full of foreign students, is that true? I just hope they're no ethnic groups who keep themselves to themselves. Most new uni have a reputation that does not reflect reality. The most important thing is that employers know the objective side not an unfounded reputation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.