Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a first year maths undergrad, and while the first year doesn't count towards the overall degree, I am currently averaging 90% (assessments and January exams) so this is giving me some hope for the upcoming years, although I'm aware it will get much harder.

I won't lie, initially I viewed University as a stop-gap, a means to an end. I wanted to get my degree and then get out into the real world, but I did not expect to enjoy maths this much.

I would love to carry on with it, and eventually get a PhD, I'd love to spend my life in academia.

I was talking to the head of first year studies, and he told me, based on my A levels (A*AB) and my current performance, that I could consider changing to the MMath course, which sounded really good. But would it be a better option, if my aim was ultimately a PhD, to go for a postgraduate masters?

I am going to University in my hometown, and if possible would want to do all my further study here, as the department is very good, and I really like the city.

I went to a talk they did during inter-semester break, and was told by one of the professors that funding for PhD courses is almost non-existent, and that if we wanted a chance of doing it, self funding would be our main option.

I realise this is a few years away, but I'd like to know more about where I'm heading, than end up there in a few years time and think, "I wish I'd asked about this sooner, and not deleted that post on TSR..."

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.