The Student Room Group

Ridiculous exam timetable

I'm not here to complain, got that out my system weeks ago. What I would love is if someone can give me advice on how to prepare and cope with 4 exams on one day. (Gov.Pol, Stats, Decision, Economics) They are all 1.5 hours long, so 6 hours in total. It's the 17th of May by the way. The exam boards have really ****ed up this time, I know at least 5 other people in my year who have 4 exams scheduled that day, and a whole load of others with 3.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
I have three on that day (Gov & Pol, English Lit, Maths C2) and I am equally dreading it. However I had days at GCSE, which I of course recognise is not as hard, when I had loads which was a nightmare for me. The way I got through it was by:

a) making sure I was confident of the stuff I needed to know - if you know it now when you're revising then at least you won't have the added pressure of being unsure of the content when you get in there

b) you will get a lunch break and maybe even other breaks - use them wisely to move your brain into another area of learning (ie. he out of maths mode into English mode, or whatever) and even if there are others in the room which you are sometimes allowed to talk to over lunch as none of you have taken the paper, try not to and just stay calm and maybe just look through your notes

c) don't complain about it in the lead up to exams - subconsciously you'll be hyping it up in your own head and will make yourself panic more than if you just revise without thinking about it

Good Luck! But remember its only one day and, I don't know how many exams you take in total, but that could be as much as half your exams done and then it's plain sailing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
I'm not here to complain, got that out my system weeks ago. What I would love is if someone can give me advice on how to prepare and cope with 4 exams on one day. (Gov.Pol, Stats, Decision, Economics) They are all 1.5 hours long, so 6 hours in total. It's the 17th of May by the way. The exam boards have really ****ed up this time, I know at least 5 other people in my year who have 4 exams scheduled that day, and a whole load of others with 3.

The only thing I can suggest is, one day, find a past paper from each subject, take two in the morning, revise, and then take the other two in the afternoon, just to prepare yourself for how long you'll be sitting there, and also ask your exams office if you can choose which order you take them in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lizz-ie
The only thing I can suggest is, one day, find a past paper from each subject, take two in the morning, revise, and then take the other two in the afternoon, just to prepare yourself for how long you'll be sitting there, and also ask your exams office if you can choose which order you take them in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can choose, so I'll probably do Gov.Pol first. I have to sit economics last because it is the only one that is an afternoon exam. That is a really good idea, I hadn't thought of doing that.

Original post by I like school
I have three on that day (Gov & Pol, English Lit, Maths C2) and I am equally dreading it. However I had days at GCSE, which I of course recognise is not as hard, when I had loads which was a nightmare for me. The way I got through it was by:

a) making sure I was confident of the stuff I needed to know - if you know it now when you're revising then at least you won't have the added pressure of being unsure of the content when you get in there

b) you will get a lunch break and maybe even other breaks - use them wisely to move your brain into another area of learning (ie. he out of maths mode into English mode, or whatever) and even if there are others in the room which you are sometimes allowed to talk to over lunch as none of you have taken the paper, try not to and just stay calm and maybe just look through your notes

c) don't complain about it in the lead up to exams - subconsciously you'll be hyping it up in your own head and will make yourself panic more than if you just revise without thinking about it

Good Luck! But remember its only one day and, I don't know how many exams you take in total, but that could be as much as half your exams done and then it's plain sailing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had it really easy at GCSE. Summer yr11 I had 8 exams in total, none were on the same day as each other. In fact, the layout in terms of weeks was 2,2,0,0,0,3,1 so as you see I had a easy time of it. I had finished off some subjects in January so it left loads of time.

I wish it was half of my exams! More like a third.

So we are allowed access to our notes?

Original post by Cynical_Smile01
I can choose, so I'll probably do Gov.Pol first. I have to sit economics last because it is the only one that is an afternoon exam. That is a really good idea, I hadn't thought of doing that.

I had it really easy at GCSE. Summer yr11 I had 8 exams in total, none were on the same day as each other. In fact, the layout in terms of weeks was 2,2,0,0,0,3,1 so as you see I had a easy time of it. I had finished off some subjects in January so it left loads of time.

I wish it was half of my exams! More like a third.

So we are allowed access to our notes?

Well certainly when I did this at GCSE I was supervised for a whole day and left notes for later exams outside the room which I was allowed to go and get when we had a lunch break and revised through lunch! You might want to speak to your exams person to check but I don't see why not!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending