Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the nuclear transfer process, why was an egg cell used?
    I know that the nucleus was fused with the egg cell, so the cell used the genetic information of the somatic cell to divide, but why put it in an egg cell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveUSA)
    I know that the nucleus was fused with the egg cell, so the cell used the genetic information of the somatic cell to divide, but why put it in an egg cell?
    The egg cell is known to divide constantly by mitosis. they needed an egg cell to make sure that the resulting cell would develop into an embryo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveUSA)
    The cytoplasm of the cell influences the potency of the cell, so a nucleus transplanted into a muscle cell, for example, would form a terminally differentiated cell that would be incapable of division. The nucleus therefore needs to be transplanted into a totipotent cell. Not even pluripotent stem cells would be appropriate, as they are not capable of forming extra-embryonic lineages (i.e. placenta). This is why the egg is used -- because it is capable of dividing to form any cell of the embryonic and extra-embryonic lineages (i.e. is totipotent).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.