Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is this 'friendship' worth saving? Watch

ReputationRep:
    First of all I must confess, this thread was created with the primary purposes of affirming my stand on this friendship and easing my guilt.

This 'lady' I know has been selling herself cheap for the last year and a half with a guy she met and slept with within the first week. Despite all my morals and principles I have stood by her and advised her against this shameful act. Why is it shameful? They are not dating or exclusively seem together, purely sex. She buys him things, potential puts her at risk of fraud and treats her like rubbish. He doesn't even want to be seen with her. Myself being her friend tried to warn her of him and she fell out with me, insulted and told me she would end our friendship within seconds for him on two separate occasions. Nonetheless I've forgiven her and continued to be a loyal friend. Until one week ago, she rang me and abused me for no reason (literally) so I decided enough was enough and it's time to cut her out. However, today is her birthday and I haven't said a word.

Good decision? Would you give this girl the time of day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxfordsSweetheart)
    First of all I must confess, this thread was created with the primary purposes of affirming my stand on this friendship and easing my guilt.

This 'lady' I know has been selling herself cheap for the last year and a half with a guy she met and slept with within the first week. Despite all my morals and principles I have stood by her and advised her against this shameful act. Why is it shameful? They are not dating or exclusively seem together, purely sex. She buys him things, potential puts her at risk of fraud and treats her like rubbish. He doesn't even want to be seen with her. Myself being her friend tried to warn her of him and she fell out with me, insulted and told me she would end our friendship within seconds for him on two separate occasions. Nonetheless I've forgiven her and continued to be a loyal friend. Until one week ago, she rang me and abused me for no reason (literally) so I decided enough was enough and it's time to cut her out. However, today is her birthday and I haven't said a word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't cut her out of your life or ignore her, that's not the mature thing to do.

Give her space. Ultimately it's her life and if she wants to be with a guy that treats her poorly then there's nothing you can do beyond what you've done to help her.

At the same time remember not to be walked over, if the same issue rises again remind her that you're just trying to help her and be a good friend. If she gives you an ultimatum because you tried to help her again then I would certainly question if she values your friendship. It might then be time to take a step back and move towards being more acquaintances rather than friends.

The expression "bros before hoes" does seem applicable in this instance!

Hope you get it sorted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01Chris02)
    I wouldn't cut her out of your life or ignore her, that's not the mature thing to do.

Give her space. Ultimately it's her life and if she wants to be with a guy that treats her poorly then there's nothing you can do beyond what you've done to help her.

At the same time remember not to be walked over, if the same issue rises again remind her that you're just trying to help her and be a good friend. If she gives you an ultimatum because you tried to help her again then I would certainly question if she values your friendship. It might then be time to take a step back and move towards being more acquaintances rather than friends.

The expression "bros before hoes" does seem applicable in this instance!

Hope you get it sorted!
    I think I'll cut her out. After all I've done for her she had a party and didn't invite me. Second year in a row and we used to talk 3 x a day - usually me stopping her from crying.

ReputationRep:
    That's really tough! I agree with 01chris02 though, sounds like, despite all the crap she's put you through, she's really gonna need a friend when it falls apart. Playing the distant friend for now seems like the best idea. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by music4life483)
    That's really tough! I agree with 01chris02 though, sounds like, despite all the crap she's put you through, she's really gonna need a friend when it falls apart. Playing the distant friend for now seems like the best idea. Good luck
    She is ungrateful and I've been her doormat for a long time - I quit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I think you should mind your own business, no offence but it's her life she can do what she wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxfordsSweetheart)

It's none of your business what she does - why do you care?
    But I'm curious why you say she's "potential puts her[self] at risk of fraud"

ReputationRep:
    She will come running soon when it all falls between her and this guy. She will need your friendship more than ever.
    She sounds like a idiot though as she has decided to chose some jackass who has no respect for whatsoever over a loyal friend...

ReputationRep:
    You should make her 'disappear'

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.