The Student Room Group

Should footballers wages be capped?

Your thoughts?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. We're a capitalist society. Also, consider how many public sector jobs are funded through the tax from say..Wayne Rooney's salary. Lots.
Reply 2
There should be a restriction on how much their wages can increase by per year. Clubs should be able to reserve the right to impose these restrictions if they feel the need to. [snip]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
The reason football players get paid so much is because there name sells shirts,fills stadiums,wins games. Without them there is no business
Nope.

If the fans don't like the amount of money they're earning, they know what to do (stop going to games, paying for Sky etc.)
Reply 5
Original post by Dpdr
No. We're a capitalist society. Also, consider how many public sector jobs are funded through the tax from say..Wayne Rooney's salary. Lots.

If you're getting paid millions a year, you can afford a creative accountant..

But anywho, if Man Utd want to pay Shrek silly money, let them. Has no impact on me. I find the people who complain the most about footballers wages are the same ones who fund them.
Original post by Ziggy2252
The reason football players get paid so much is because there name sells shirts,fills stadiums,wins games. Without them there is no business

There is no 'business' anyway. Bar a minority of clubs that manage their finances diligently, most football clubs are perpetual loss making operations. Why do you think so few clubs are listed on stock exchanges, and instead rely on wealthy individual owners or consortiums?
Reply 7
If these crazy rich owners want to pay footballers the amount that they do then who are we to stop them, it's their money.

I wouldn't be opposed to a wage cap as such, but if there was to be one then it would have to somehow be worldwide, or certain leagues would fall behind those that aren't capped.
Reply 8
Nope. They do provide enjoyment for millions of people. Same with filmmakers, musicians etc. They 'add value' and 'create value' in a way that lawyers and bankers certainly don't.
No, they earn their money, they don't steal it. They only earn so much because fans are willing to pay so much to watch them on Sky and to watch them live.
People don't just sit on the bench because they're not good enough to play though. If they weren't good enough to play, they wouldn't be in the team at all.

If they were paid too little, they'd just leave and go to a different club. [snip]
(edited 11 years ago)
they shouldnt seeing as nearly 50% is taxable.
footballers may be a wild case, but they bring far more economic benifits to the club, the enterprises, sponsors etc etc
Original post by Cll_ws
I wouldn't be opposed to a wage cap as such, but if there was to be one then it would have to somehow be worldwide, or certain leagues would fall behind those that aren't capped.

I agree that it would have to be world wide, but in practice this could never happen. Even if FIFA stopped counting their bribes for 2 minutes to impose a worldwide cap, several countries would just react by leaving, with others finding underhand ways to pay over the limit.
Reply 13
Original post by KnapAttackUK
I agree that it would have to be world wide, but in practice this could never happen. Even if FIFA stopped counting their bribes for 2 minutes to impose a worldwide cap, several countries would just react by leaving, with others finding underhand ways to pay over the limit.

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that. It wouldn't work.
Original post by tazarooni89
People don't just sit on the bench because they're not good enough to play though. If they weren't good enough to play, they wouldn't be in the team at all.

If they were paid too little, they'd just leave and go to a different club. [snip]

I wasn't talking in terms of how well the team would perform I was talking in terms of the financial behalf. But okay.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Thomson2013
I wasn't talking in terms of how well the team would perform I was talking in terms of the financial behalf. But okay.

I don't quite understand what you mean. The financial behalf?
Reply 16
Original post by Izzyeviel
If you're getting paid millions a year, you can afford a creative accountant..

Can you? Didn't work for Jimmy Carr did it?
Not every millionaire avoids paying the set tax rate. So, footballers wages do fund public sector jobs. Anyone who assumes all of them avoid tax simply produces incredibly naive, easily-influenced assertions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tazarooni89
I don't quite understand what you mean. The financial behalf?

I would elaborate but It's quarter to two in the morning dude...
Reply 18
No. That's like saying lets cap businesses profits.

Would never work and English football would die.
Original post by Dpdr

Well, from one point of view, this is fine. If you're looking at football in a "what can football do for society" kind of way. [snip]
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending