Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Should footballers wages be capped? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Well, from one point of view, this is fine. If you're looking at football in a "what can football do for society" kind of way.

If you're looking at football in a "what can we do to football to improve it" kind of way, capping wages makes sense.

Wages should be capped, transfer fees capped, etc. Ruins the game when someone can buy a club, plow money into it and win the league.

If someone were to buy a club and plow money into infrastructure, academies, local projects and the like, in order to improve the quality of youth players, that's fine.

At the moment football in England is nothing but a plaything for rich foreigners.
    I couldn't care less about football. Hold absolutely no interest in the sport. But hearing people get angry because somebody earns millions when we live in a capitalist society makes no sense. That same logic means that all musicians or actors should also have their wages capped. It's just stupid, there has to be people who earn massive amounts for 2 very instrumental reasons:

1) The taxable proportion of their income funds public sector jobs.

2) Inspires people to pursue the same goal. Otherwise we'd live in a very boring world.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point?
    The money would just go to guys in suits otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    There is no 'business' anyway. Bar a minority of clubs that manage their finances diligently, most football clubs are perpetual loss making operations. Why do you think so few clubs are listed on stock exchanges, and instead rely on wealthy individual owners or consortiums?
    clubs are business that operate in a industry that relies on 11 men on the pitch doing there job right. The reason they make losses is because there not winning. Dont let chelsea and man city go to your head there our plenty of clubs in the world who are run the right way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy2252)
    clubs are business that operate in a industry that relies on 11 men on the pitch doing there job right. The reason they make losses is because there not winning. Dont let chelsea and man city go to your head there our plenty of clubs in the world who are run the right way.
    Why they make losses is irrelevant- the fact is they are. A small number of clubs making tiny profits does not change the fact that European football is in real risk of financial meltdown.

ReputationRep:
    Why they make losses is irrelevant- the fact is they are. A small number of clubs making tiny profits does not change the fact that European football is in real risk of financial meltdown.
    You dont understand business in football. They make the losses now so in 5 years they make profit. of the top 10 clubs in europe 3 made losses last year 7 profit. Your talking out your ass. Also the reason they make losses is RELEVANT if they have a billionaire owner spending his own money on players on the books there making a loss but in reality they have billions if they need it.

ReputationRep:
    You dont understand business in football. They make the losses now so in 5 years they make profit. of the top 10 clubs in europe 3 made losses last year 7 profit. Your talking out your ass. Also the reason they make losses is RELEVANT if they have a billionaire owner spending his own money on players on the books there making a loss but in reality they have billions if they need it.
    Except that's what they said five years ago.
    Last time I checked, there were more than 10 clubs in the world and the vast majority are not owned by billionaires, while for those that are relying on the wealth of an outside source is most certainly not a sound financial plan. Stop talking about the super elite clubs, football is far more than just them, narrowminded fool.
    It's an indisputable fact that the football industry is losing money across the board, more clubs than not are in the red and that is not healthy. HMRC issue winding up orders to about a dozen clubs a year, and that's obviously only British football.

ReputationRep:
    Except that's what they said five years ago.
    Last time I checked, there were more than 10 clubs in the world and the vast majority are not owned by billionaires, while for those that are relying on the wealth of an outside source is most certainly not a sound financial plan. Stop talking about the super elite clubs, football is far more than just them, narrowminded fool.
    It's an indisputable fact that the football industry is losing money across the board, more clubs than not are in the red and that is not healthy. HMRC issue winding up orders to about a dozen clubs a year, and that's obviously only British football.
    Ok im aware how football works. Your forgetting about recession which is effecting every industry yet football is still turning over more and more every year even though not as many people attend games. Along with the fact anyone can watch a game for free online there the things that effect the game the most. Business in every industry are closing down HMV and Blockbuster most recent. Im pretty sure the directors in the clubs are more aware of whats happening then you but if people have not got the money to attend games theres only so much you can do. Im an Arsenal fan a team who profits every year despite competing with billionaire backed clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Ok im aware how football works. Your forgetting about recession which is effecting every industry yet football is still turning over more and more every year even though not as many people attend games. Along with the fact anyone can watch a game for free online there the things that effect the game the most. Business in every industry are closing down HMV and Blockbuster most recent.
    If you were really aware of how football works you'd know that gate reciepts now make up a minority of income for clubs- dwarfed by merchandising and tv revenue, and that clubs have been struggling to stay solvent for a long, long time.

Im pretty sure the directors in the clubs are more aware of whats happening then you
    They are more aware of you certainly. As far as I'm aware, the general consensus of club management is that wages and agent fees are too high and that the financial condition of most clubs is not stable. Whether they know this or not is irrelevant, since they aren't doing anything about it.

but if people have not got the money to attend games theres only so much you can do.
    What's that got to do with anything? Ignoring the fact that gate receipts and tv revenues continue to climb, if there are inherent flaws in a business model obviously something needs to change. HMRC and creditors aren't going to play you a violin song if your attendances are down, they're still going to demand payment.

Im an Arsenal fan a team who profits every year despite competing with billionaire backed clubs.
    And again, last time I checked the world of football consists of more than just Arsenal. Infact I specifically said that a small number of clubs do run their finances with diligence, but they are offset by the rest of clubs that don't.

ReputationRep:
    Why should it be? If the salaries were capped, ticket prices/advertising/sponsorship wouldn't go down so all the same money would still be going to the clubs. The only difference would be what they spend it on, and instinctively I feel that you would not feel any of their other cash sinks were any more worthy. Capping salaries would just be a ridiculous gesture with no actual point.

ReputationRep:
    If you were really aware of how football works you'd know that gate reciepts now make up a minority of income for clubs- dwarfed by merchandising and tv revenue, and that clubs have been struggling to stay solvent for a long, long time.

They are more aware of you certainly. As far as I'm aware, the general consensus of club management is that wages and agent fees are too high and that the financial condition of most clubs is not stable. Whether they know this or not is irrelevant, since they aren't doing anything about it.

What's that got to do with anything? Ignoring the fact that gate receipts and tv revenues continue to climb, if there are inherent flaws in a business model obviously something needs to change. HMRC and creditors aren't going to play you a violin song if your attendances are down, they're still going to demand payment.

And again, last time I checked the world of football consists of more than just Arsenal. Infact I specifically said that a small number of clubs do run their finances with diligence, but they are offset by the rest of clubs that don't.
    Your totally wrong! what the hell go look up the sums gate receipts are what keep football clubs running! when people are at the stadium merchandise sold food sold etc are intergral to a team i have not been all year as i cant afford it and many other people have decided £50-£100 is not worth spending while cash it tight! clubs are making losses now due to higher player wages and lower match income. Im talking about all teams here man united may earn more from shirt sales but other teams dont. How can you not understand that when everyone has less money one of the first things they stop is renewing there season ticket?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Your totally wrong! what the hell go look up the sums gate receipts are what keep football clubs running! when people are at the stadium merchandise sold food sold etc are intergral to a team i have not been all year as i cant afford it and many other people have decided £50-£100 is not worth spending while cash it tight! clubs are making losses now due to higher player wages and lower match income. Im talking about all teams here man united may earn more from shirt sales but other teams dont.
    Oh dear, you really, really don't know what you're talking about. Typical top clubs make up just a third of their income from match day sales, with some clubs like Man City it's just 13% (£20m from £153m). Especially with the new bumper tv package coming in next year, match day sales will be nothing more than a secondary source of income.

How can you not understand that when everyone has less money one of the first things they stop is renewing there season ticket?
    How can you not understand that there is more than enough demand to satisfy the supply ? Attendances are rising, albeit marginally, but rising nonetheless. Figures don't lie.

However I fail to see how any of this is relevant to the original point that due to excessive wages most football clubs are essentially perpetually making losses.

ReputationRep:
    Well if we're going to do that why don't we cap musicians and actors' salary as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Well if we're going to do that why don't we cap musicians and actors' salary as well?
    Exactly. Hollywood is struggling but pays brad pitt 20 mill a film as thats how much he is worth. The players get paid what there worth even if people dont agree they are.

To the guy i was talking to about matchday revenue, i did a little research to make sure i was correct and found i was i cannae be asked with going off topic any further.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly yes as I think the wages negatively effect the game but clearly it's unlikely and undoable realistically.

ReputationRep:
    No, just pay them in pennies.

ReputationRep:
    I think if people are willing to pay money to go and see their favourite team etcetera that it's only right that the money should go to the players. To keep it short. I hate that comparison between soldiers and football players. Bankers are far worse than footballers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no but the teams should have a salary cap, so if they decide to pay a layer extortionate amounts they have less money to pay other players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowry17)
    no but the teams should have a salary cap, so if they decide to pay a layer extortionate amounts they have less money to pay other players.
    I'm a fan of the salary cap in rugby league, but now I wonder if the financial gap is so big between the bottom and top of the table whether a salary cap could be introduced. It would hit the 'big clubs' hard and hardly affect others, so I think I lot of people would complain.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.