Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I do french, latin, russian and english a level. I am predicted As/A*s and have 9 A*s, an A and a B at GCSE (A and B are both in maths).

My options are:
    - french and italian. This would be the easiest to get in for because of my hugely language-oriented a-levels, and my wider reading of both subjects.
    - french and linguistics. This sounds MUCH more interesting to me than french and italian. However, it is only offered at three universities that I'm interesting in going to so I would have two choices effectively wasted. Also, it is regarded as a semi-scientific subject (linguistics is) so my lack of science a level and my mediocre maths GCSE grades would harm any acceptance chances.
    - french and arabic. I think that arabic has a much more interesting culture than italian, but I'm not sure how i would justify my wanting to learn it to any uni, given that i have absolutely no connection with it and any attempt to read up on arabia/islam now would seem a bit rushed/contrived. Also, spending a year abroad in Syria sounds a bit dangerous for a young blonde girl!

Any other degree suggestions? I am interested the way languages work, in philosophy and anthropology.

ReputationRep:
    you do realise you don't need 5 identical courses?

You can apply for the 3 fench/linguistics and then throw in 2 french/italian also.

What do you mean 'justify learning it at uni'. You jsut said you would find it more interesting. Most unis offer intense beginner courses, so provided you show the ability to learn a language (which you do) then they will consider you. Plently of more 'westernised' Arab nations if you feel parts of the Arab world are too dangerous, obviously the country with a very bloody civil war is not recommended, however it isn't a total no go despite what the BBC makes it out to be.

As for suggestions, I'd personally throw Spanish in there. The economies of Latin America will play a big part in the future particularly Brazil and if you know Spanish, Portuguese will come very easy.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the subject/course that interests you the most. This is what will hold your enthusiasm for three years of hard study.

Remember, University courses are *not* the same as A levels. And they are very different at each University - for language courses, some will be very 'spoken language' focused, others will concentrate on literature in that language, the history of the language itself or the culture it belongs to. Also, remember that there are 'area' studies degrees - like European Studies, Latin American Studies, Middle Eastern Studies etc that will encompass study of languages - and their breadth may be more useful in terms of future employment etc, and they will probably include a University based Year Abroad.

So, you need to pick some Unis for each of the languages you are considering and look closely at the *detail* of the different courses. Think about what it is that *really* interests you about studying these subjects. Btw, studying Arabic or any other unusual language doesnt have to rely on previous experience or travel to 'justify' it. If you enjoy a challenge, go for it.

PS. Two short cheap useful/interesting books aimed at 1st Year undergrads that will give you an idea of how/why languages (and linguistics) are studied at Uni. Highly recommended.
    Languages : (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Languages-Ve.../dp/B008CNX4MI
    Linguistics : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linguistics-...4&sr=1-1-spell

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I'm at UCL studying linguistics I know quite a few people on the course who don't have science A-Level. That's not to say they didn't struggle in some courses though. You should look thoroughly at the course structures of the unis and see whether you think most of the topics interest you; linguistics is taught very differently at a lot of places, it can be more sciency or artsy or a bit of both.

I don't think it's a problem either that your course is only available at 3 unis. You could apply for straight language courses at your other two; there will be a way to structure your PS to fit in both courses and appeal to both. Once you have written your PS you should submit it to the PS helpers on here and they can give you extra advice.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you have to go to Syria

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't have to go to Syria if you didn't want to...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    You wouldn't have to go to Syria if you didn't want to...
    That's where the majority of unis I'm interested in send Arabic students in their compulsory year off. It would seem silly to choose Arabic if I wasn't prepared to do this from the outset

ReputationRep:
    * SOAS offers a Year Abroad 'in the Middle East'. It doesnt specify Syria.
    * St Andrews offers a year at the American University in Egypt or the Lebanese American University in Lebanon.
    * Exeter offers Morocco, Cairo or Jordan.
    * Leeds offers Morocco or Cairo.
    *Edinburgh offers
    Egypt, Jordan Tunisia and Morocco

Which Unis insist on Syria,and only Syria, then? Do tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    * SOAS offers a Year Abroad 'in the Middle East'. It doesnt specify Syria.
    * St Andrews offers a year at the American University in Egypt or the Lebanese American University in Lebanon.
    * Exeter offers Morocco, Cairo or Jordan.
    * Leeds offers Morocco or Cairo.
    *Edinburgh offers
    Egypt, Jordan Tunisia and Morocco

Which Unis insist on Syria,and only Syria, then? Do tell.

The oxford college that I want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    One isnt a 'majority'.

You get FIVE UCAS choices. Start looking slightly wider than one Oxford College.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.