The Student Room Group

Should we have a bank holiday in the UK in tribute to the arm forces?

Should the UK get an extra bank holiday to celebrate the armed forces day in November?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Isn't that in part what Remembrance Day is for? Although, I don't understand why that's not a bank holiday.
No, why should the current armed forces have a tribute for their job? None are forced to do it, they have chosen to do it.
Reply 3
there are quite enough Bank Holidays. If you have one for the Armed Forces why not have one to honour Chiropodists or Pizza Deliverers ?
Reply 4
Given that many of the UK bank holidays are religious observances, I don't they're a special group of days.

If you want a day off on Remembrance Day, fair enough, although I'd suggest demoting Good Friday or May Day or something instead. We have enough statutory days off as it is.
Could do with another Bank holiday in the latter part of the year - it's a long slog from the end of August to Christmas. Coinciding with Remembrance day is as good a cause as I can think of.
Reply 6
No. What would be the point of that?
I don't think so, we make enough fuss about our armed forces already #justdoingtheirjob #unpopularopinion
Sure why not. It would be the best day to host the Royal Tournament.
Original post by fluteflute
I don't think so, we make enough fuss about our armed forces already #justdoingtheirjob #unpopularopinion

Agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zeropoint
Given that many of the UK bank holidays are religious observances, I don't they're a special group of days.

If you want a day off on Remembrance Day, fair enough, although I'd suggest demoting Good Friday or May Day or something instead. We have enough statutory days off as it is.

We get 8, which is less than European average (10.8).
Like, a bicep appreciation day?
Reply 12
Original post by OU Student
Isn't that in part what Remembrance Day is for? Although, I don't understand why that's not a bank holiday.

Probably because the Government like to be able to tie down Bank Holidays to Mondays where as Remembrance Day can fall on any day of the week.
Reply 13
The amount of disrespect in this thread is disgusting.
Original post by -aTOMic-
The amount of disrespect in this thread is disgusting.

Where?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Each bank holiday costs the economy roughly £2.3bn. Do you really want another bank holiday?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending