Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I found this video very interesting: http://pseudoword.wordpress.com/2013...y-didnt-exist/

What're your thoughts on it? Do you think that people should follow money?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be able to be awarded resources for any work I perform and have the freedom to exchange it for whatever I want. I mean, what? We work, so we get our bills for 'free' and given food that 'the man' wants us to eat?

Money = resources.

If people want to be painters and perform other hobbies than don't earn them resources, why should other people be effectively working so other people can live life doing hobbies?

ReputationRep:
    Near the end the guy says that become a master of your passion and you'll be able to command a high fee. It still is about money isn't it? By all means, do follow your passion but don't expect others to fund your exploits.

I will work hard in a job I am not necessarily passionate about for a couple of years, save up and then open a school, that's what I am passionate about and I will achieve it on my own terms.

Talking about not using money at all just wouldn't work. Why would builders build you the perfect house for free? If not paying with money then what, a thousand chickens? Do the builders want that? Money is universally known and used and with that you can use it to buy what you actually want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    I wouldn't be able to be awarded resources for any work I perform and have the freedom to exchange it for whatever I want. I mean, what? We work, so we get our bills for 'free' and given food that 'the man' wants us to eat?

Money = resources.

If people want to be painters and perform other hobbies than don't earn them resources, why should other people be effectively working so other people can live life doing hobbies?
    you have misunderstood what Alan Watts is saying here. He isn't talking about not having money but rather talking about doing what you love and making money that way, even if it isn't much. It is a 'find something you love then find someone to pay you to do it' that is the point here.

You can study hard and get a highly paid job doing something you only sort of enjoy or you can study hard and do what you love and get paid less. At the end of the day, you work hard to get a high wage to do what? So you can do the things you enjoy, except the time you have to do it is very limited. I'm not saying high paid jobs that people love don't exist, however the high wage would be a bonus, not a goal and the person should want to do it regardless of the pay (provided it is enough to live on).

For example do you think someone working on say ski patrol or avalanche control would give up their low/average paid job to be a highly paid doctor? Yeah sure they can go skiing and mountaineering on the weekends, but other than that they are never getting to do what they love I would be highly surprised if they would...

ReputationRep:
    Then explain how products are exchanged without money?

Money is the most efficient means of doing this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Before I write down what I think about the video, I was both astonished and happy when I read the German subtitle (German is my native language). To keep the point: I imagine for myself all the time what I do, if money doesn't dominate my life. Money is not an important part in my life and that is so, I am a creative person who are writing literary texts and drawing pictures. From this perspective I must agree with the video. I think money should not be a self purpose, it should be just a currency by which we are able to manage our basis of life. No more, no less. I guess the thoughts of earning money in all perspectives of our lives destroy our creative potential. In this context I wonder what cultural heritages will be left in the future, if people have no opportunities and no time to discover their own creativeness.

ReputationRep:
    If there wasn't money no one would work and we wouldn't have food or education or health or anything

jojotheflower, meow, over and out

ReputationRep:
    the main function of money is the medium to exchange goods or services

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-Torres)
    Hi

I found this video very interesting: http://pseudoword.wordpress.com/2013...y-didnt-exist/

What're your thoughts on it? Do you think that people should follow money?
    Use a system of exchange, barter?

ReputationRep:
    The links not working, but to answer your question: If money didn't exist the economy would collapse and we would all starve to death.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to imagine when it is so embedded in our cultures. I think the realistic perspective of a moneyless society is essentially 'pure communism' or 'anarchy'.

Unless someone has another logical way of explaining how society's trade, economics and resources would function in the absence of money?

I do believe it is better do earn little doing what you love than it is to earn a fortune for the sake of a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hi, How are you ?)
    Use a system of exchange, barter?
    Yes, what a good idea. Reverse thousands of years of economic progress by making people go back to trading sheep for potatoes.

ReputationRep:
    Link doesn't work.
    To quote what I've said before, if we got rid of money:
    "we could go back to swapping items of similar value. But it would almost certainly eventually result in people using standardised items of exactly the same value to each other, otherwise known as money."

ReputationRep:
    If there wasn't 'money' there would be cows, grain, gold, etc. - there would still be a currency of some sorts and someone will always have more cows/grain/gold than somebody else.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsymathsy)
    the main function of money is the medium to exchange goods or services
    That is the main purpose of money. And it is the only one. No more, no less. But money become to a self purpose by the most of people. And that is the point. People who aim to earn so much money as possible could forget other aspects of life which make the life so valuable. There are things in our life which are unpayable and not worth the weight in gold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhadamanthus)
    Yes, what a good idea. Reverse thousands of years of economic progress by making people go back to trading sheep for potatoes.
    Well yes, the question said " What if money didn't exist?", so it is safe to assume that no economic progress was made as no money was invented. So stick with barter.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.