The Student Room Group

Should shops be allowed to open on Christmas Day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
But if people want to buy things and the shop wants to sell things, why should the government stop them?

Why should they cave to a minority on this issue when it's not a big deal? It's just one day, people can go for one day without needing to buy things. Too bad if they don't like it.
Original post by thunder_chunky
The shops are closed every year on that day, couldn't you have been more prepared? For such an eventuality?

We hadn't realised we were out. We always shopped for that stuff at the start of every month.
If you're not celebrating Christmas, you may as well be helping the economy.
Original post by minimarshmallow
We hadn't realised we were out. We always shopped for that stuff at the start of every month.

Being caught off guard isn't that different from being unprepared. It doesn't change the fact that you know the shops are closed on the 25th every year and you should know that the shops and town centres will be heaving on Christmas Eve.
Of course they should! I personally wouldn't go shopping on Christmas day, but it seems silly that the whole retail calendar should have to revolve around a Christian holiday, when the majority of the British population isn't Christian.
Being caught off guard isn't that different from being unprepared. It doesn't change the fact that you know the shops are closed on the 25th every year and you should know that the shops and town centres will be heaving on Christmas Eve.

And me also knowing that my cycle was usually 2 weeks longer than it was does change the situation.
It's not like we were a couple of days early and should have been thinking about it, it was 2 weeks. We shouldn't have had to worry till way after new year!
Reply 46
With all the things that go on around Christmas it's easy to forgot a few things on the day (ie. batteries, electric etc) so it can be a good thing that shops open, but I do agree that it should only be small/family owned shops where people can not be forced to work. For example, there are quite a few small shops around where I live that are actually a part of the owners home - you can see their front rooms behind the counter. That wouldn't be so bad as they wouldn't really be missing out and they could make a few sales for a few hours and wouldn't mean they would have to leave their families.
Absolutely. Nobody is forced to work in a shop, therefore nobody's religious freedom is damaged by working in a shop on Christmas Day.

There is no sensible reason why the religious beliefs of some people should infringe on my right to work in some particular sector or establishment or my right to trade with the same.
And me also knowing that my cycle was usually 2 weeks longer than it was does change the situation.
It's not like we were a couple of days early and should have been thinking about it, it was 2 weeks. We shouldn't have had to worry till way after new year!

It doesn't change shops being heaving on the 24th and closed on the 25th. Rather than shops opening why not buy all those female neccessities earlier in December?
Reply 49
Original post by Rock Fan
Your thoughts on whether shops should remain closed on Christmas Day

The only reason I don't want them to be is for the staff. A previous job of mine made me work Xmas day. The only way to avoid this would have been quiting or booking it off on holiday, which obviously not everyone can do.

Definitely a day for the family and not for working.
It doesn't change shops being heaving on the 24th and closed on the 25th. Rather than shops opening why not buy all those female neccessities earlier in December?

Because we'd already bought and used them in December and didn't think we needed them until at least the second week of January.
Because we'd already bought and used them in December and didn't think we needed them until at least the second week of January.

And you can't buy extra in December only just in case? Christmas does come every year you know.
And you can't buy extra in December only just in case? Christmas does come every year you know.

Yeah, why don't we all spend all of our money before Christmas bulk buying things we won't have to use 99% of the time 'just in case' so shops can stay closed even if the owners and employees don't want them to?
There is more to life than shopping. I'd like a few more days a year as well as Christmas Day with shops closed.
Reply 54
Original post by Rock Fan
Your thoughts on whether shops should remain closed on Christmas Day

I work in a shop, and as far as I know it's perfectly legal for them to open on Christmas day unless it's a Sunday.
Yeah, why don't we all spend all of our money before Christmas bulk buying things we won't have to use 99% of the time 'just in case' so shops can stay closed even if the owners and employees don't want them to?

You spend your money before Christmas anyway and I'm not suggesting you bulk buy simply that you have enough to tie you over in case you need it over that day in which the shops are shut and maybe a day or two before either side.
You're trying to argue that they should open simply because you obviously weren't prepared and forward thinking enough.
Reply 56

How the hell would you have functioned when shops were closed on a Sunday :lolwut:

The shops should be shut more than twice a year tbh. The shops should close for Bank holidays as well.
Reply 57
You realise the people working there deserve a Christmas too right? Or should we only staff them with Jews and Muslims?
Why should they cave to a minority on this issue when it's not a big deal? It's just one day, people can go for one day without needing to buy things. Too bad if they don't like it.

Original post by Mess.
How the hell would you have functioned when shops were closed on a Sunday :lolwut:

The shops should be shut more than twice a year tbh. The shops should close for Bank holidays as well.

It's similar to opposing gay marriage if you think about it. You're not forced to do it and both parties agree. Why would you stop them?
Original post by manchesterunited15
It's similar to opposing gay marriage if you think about it. You're not forced to do it and both parties agree. Why would you stop them?

It's nothing like the gay marriage debate. Try again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending