Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I have no true passion/interest in anything other than Astronomy. I can't go into this field as I do not have an A level in Physics I found it too hard.

I have A levels in

Law - C
    Psychology - C
    History - D
    Health and Social Care (only the first year) - Merit

With these qualifications, what would be a suitable degree? I enjoyed all of these A levels but I dont know where to go from here.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    With the greatest of respect, having those sorts of grades suggests a degree might not be for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddlesnap)
    With the greatest of respect, having those sorts of grades suggests a degree might not be for you.

My results altogether give me 300 UCAS points so I don't understand who you are to say a degree isn't for me.

I didn't state I wanted to do Medicine or Law did I?

PS if you have nothing better to say please refrain from commenting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafzaaa)
    My results altogether give me 300 UCAS points so I don't understand who you are to say a degree isn't for me.

I didn't state I wanted to do Medicine or Law did I?

PS if you have nothing better to say please refrain from commenting.
    I was just voicing my opinion. Frankly you won't get into a particularly good university and when you do you'll be left with £27,000 of tuition fees to pay back and to be honest there are plenty of jobs that pay well without a degree.

PS If you can't take someone else disagreeing with you, don't post on an internet forum.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your interests nd strengths. Whatever u have a deep interest in nd whatever you are moderately skilled at will allow for a lot of career progression as well as stopping you from gettin depressed. Remember you will be doing your job for the next 40 or fifty years.9-5 for that long is no joke. Might as well do somethin you love nd something you can do wel/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was just voicing my opinion. Frankly you won't get into a particularly good university and when you do you'll be left with £27,000 of tuition fees to pay back and to be honest there are plenty of jobs that pay well without a degree.

PS If you can't take someone else disagreeing with you, don't post on an internet forum.

I shouldn't have to take your patronizing opinion.
    Anyways thanks for replying.

ReputationRep:

People come on here for support. They don't come on here for somebody else to make themselves feel better by putting others down.

Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debdener)
    People come on here for support. They don't come on here for somebody else to make themselves feel better by putting others down.

Pathetic.
    Not once did I say anything that could be construed as putting others down. I merely offered an opinion. Putting someone down would be, "You're too thick to go to uni, go and work in Asda." That isn't what I said.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest taking some time out in a 'non-career' job and seeing if you develop an interest. Going to uni for the sake of it is probably a waste of time, and it sounds like you're looking for a reason to go, rather than going for a reason. Rushing into a career isn't for everyone.

There's no harm in waiting a couple of years and seeing what sort of person you've become after a couple of years of work. I think a lot of people waste their funding going for the sake of it and doing a course that really isn't for them, when they'd have been better off waiting.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers

I have to agree with this, and I don't know with paddlesnap is getting such a lashing.

You shouldn't go to university if you don't know why you want to go. We can't tell you what degree to pick. My highers weren't the greatest so I sat more in my 6th year, I don't know the A-Level system but maybe you could look into redoing some more A-levels and improve your chances if you're set on going to uni.

Or how about an access course at college? You could maybe look into more technical subjects such as nursery teaching. Do you like working with children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafzaaa)
    I shouldn't have to take your patronizing opinion.
    Anyways thanks for replying.
    Don't post it on an internet thread if you don't want peoples opinions.
    (Original post by Debdener)

Pathetic.
    So what you'd prefer is that the OP is lied to rather than given some proper advice, what would you see as a fitting response?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    I have to agree with this, and I don't know with paddlesnap is getting such a lashing.

You shouldn't go to university if you don't know why you want to go. We can't tell you what degree to pick. My highers weren't the greatest so I sat more in my 6th year, I don't know the A-Level system but maybe you could look into redoing some more A-levels and improve your chances if you're set on going to uni.

Or how about an access course at college? You could maybe look into more technical subjects such as nursery teaching. Do you like working with children?
    I also agree. That is a lot of money to spend on something you arent hundred percent sure on what to do. Also, as has been said, your grades aren't that great and a degree is much much much harder. Especially combined with a lack of interest in any particular subject. Have you considered alternatives to uni? Or maybe just a gap year whilst you work out what to do? Don't waste money on a degree that may not get you a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_22_16)
    I also agree. That is a lot of money to spend on something you arent hundred percent sure on what to do. Also, as has been said, your grades aren't that great and a degree is much much much harder. Especially combined with a lack of interest in any particular subject. Have you considered alternatives to uni? Or maybe just a gap year whilst you work out what to do? Don't waste money on a degree that may not get you a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. You don't know what you want to do. Decide on a course, then think about it.

You could even go back and re-do your A-Levels, and then try for something like Astronomy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.