Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What's better - a 2.1 from Oxbridge or a first from Aston? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    LOL

Funny that your sig is a video of "Miss Teen USA" when what you've just said there is about the equivalent level of stupidity.
    haha. brutal.

ReputationRep:
    Aston has a university?

I know now, but I had to look it up. I'd say that once you're above the 2:2 automatic cut-off that many graduate applications have, the reputation of your institution can count for a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    What are your thoughts on this?
    in-depth analysis of this question may be found in:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...e=2&p=35699201

no thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    haha. brutal.
    It was harsh, but whenever I read someone implying Oxbridge students are there because of their 'mummy/daddy made them' I go crazy. Also the fact he said getting a 2:1 is 'failing miserably' at Oxbridge :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    in-depth analysis of this question may be found in:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...e=2&p=35699201

no thank you
    Be prepared for more negs :lol:

ReputationRep:
    2:1 Oxbridge. As you travel up the uni league, the courses get harder and involve more work in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Be prepared for more negs :lol:
    *bear dons his shield of invincibility*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    What are your thoughts on this?
    A 2.1 from Oxbridge is not a failure, I know many friends of my parents who have achieved a 2.1 from Oxbridge and still gone really far... I guess it also depends on the course but honestly although I don't necessarily see it this way, the majority of society will say a 2.1 from Oxbridge is brilliant, it's still above average as the average is a 2.2 and not all professions require more than a 2.2

ReputationRep:
    I'd be quite interested to know if there has been any actual comparison of degrees, at these or any institutions, or anything else which actually proves a varying level of difficulty to a level we can quantify? Anything that would pass for actual peer-reviewed research proving it? I know no two degrees are identical, but are we all just working on assumption, speculation and belief at the moment? Not denying that there'll be significant disparities between some courses, I'd just like to know if anyone has actually done any proper research into it (I realise this would be very difficult).

I've had some of my work graded by staff at other universities and without being sufficient to prove a pattern, amusingly the harshest marks came from the 'worst' university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbbieRV)
    A 2.1 from Oxbridge is not a failure, I know many friends of my parents who have achieved a 2.1 from Oxbridge and still gone really far... I guess it also depends on the course but honestly although I don't necessarily see it this way, the majority of society will say a 2.1 from Oxbridge is brilliant, it's still above average as the average is a 2.2 and not all professions require more than a 2.2
    Hope to God it's not a failure to have a 2:1 from Oxbridge, otherwise a great many bitter people out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Hope to God it's not a failure to have a 2:1 from Oxbridge, otherwise a great many bitter people out there.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    Depends on the prejudices of your employer I expect.

A 2.1 from Oxbridge would make me think you got in to Oxbridge because your parents kept a tight leash on your learning but when you actually got there you failed miserably.

A first from Aston (whatever that is) may make me think your a high achiever but lack the self confidence to have applied to Oxbridge.

IDK.
    Funny that, given that I know of a number of lecturers at Cambridge who graduated with 2.1 as undergraduates (from Cambridge). Heck, I even know of a senior lecturer at a Russel Group university who graduated from Cambridge with a 2.2. Admittedly, things will have changed over the past 40 years, but your statement is still false nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's something like law etc., I don't think it really matters which university you went to. Experience seems to be much more important, which is something Aston does well in. Most people take a placement year and it has better employability than Oxbridge in 2012.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    Depends on the prejudices of your employer I expect.

A 2.1 from Oxbridge would make me think you got in to Oxbridge because your parents kept a tight leash on your learning but when you actually got there you failed miserably.

A first from Aston (whatever that is) may make me think your a high achiever but lack the self confidence to have applied to Oxbridge.

IDK.
    So most Oxbridge students (since most of them get a 2:1) "fail miserably" and only got there because of their parents keeping a tight leash?

IMO A 2.1 at Oxbridge shows that the candidate has worked very hard in their previously academic life to have gained a place there.

ReputationRep:
    most employers would assume that it would be harder to get a good degree at oxbridge, i don't know much about aston, but medway school of pharmacy gave 80% of its students a 1st!:eek:
    standards defer significantly from uni to uni which makes it really confusing for employers

ReputationRep:
    I have commented on this subject many times, and feel I'm in a better position to than most as I actually have studied the same subject at two different institutions (Physics at Cambridge and UCL). I went from a high 2.2 at Cambridge to a very high (85%) first at UCL.

In terms of what's better, I would say it's better to get a first from anywhere rather than a 2.1 from Oxbridge. However, (especially in the sciences) it is much, much harder to get a first at Oxbridge as the courses are much more difficult. I think that the current system of external examination is a sham and there is absolutely no equality in standards across institutions, rendering classifications completely useless.

ReputationRep:
    If I was an employer, I would have to meet the person- a 2:1 is good, but so many people get into a good uni and slack, so the name alone can not be judged. The thing is, a 1st is brilliant, but there is a lot of Kudos for Oxbridge. And, in some cases, you may get a degree, but if you are not very good in a job interview, then no go. Whatever anyone gets, the idea is to try and make it work. Work experience in your chosen profession may also tip the scales in your favour The degree courses alone though, I'd say Oxbridge has more kudos, but if the employer likes the 1st, they may prefer that instead, as a 1st is still brilliant

ReputationRep:
    I know people who got a first from there and struggled to get a job. I know people who got a 2.1 from aston and got jobs at JP, Goldman.

ReputationRep:
    Well in my opinion there is no comparison, a 2:1 from a highly renowned university such as Oxford is AMAZING!

Edit: Alright man, Oxford is crap, it's the lowest of the low...can I get less negs now? But seriously, come on...it's an elite university, with that on your CV you'll be more favored for a job than someone who goes to Aston, plus you're getting a 2:1, which is mighty good. BUT on the other hand A FIRST FROM ANY UNIVERSITY IS GREAT!!! And you'd have a very good chance too in the job market!!
    Jeez, just enough with the negs, my reputation points are soooo low already.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.