Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What's better - a 2.1 from Oxbridge or a first from Aston? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuart_aitken)
    I would say for a bog standard 2:1, employers will differentiate by comparing the institution, but if it's a first then it beats everything. Top trumps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    A 2.1 is not a fail at Oxbridge it may be elsewhere
    A 2.i is not a fail anywhere. :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoseSmallWinBig)
    In the eyes of most employers, a 2;1 and a 1st is all a bit of a blur. A 2:1 from Oxbridge gets you a look in at Mckinsey or Goldman Sachs. A first from Aston and well, you've got a chance but you need A LOT more on your application than that.
    Best answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toreilly102)
    I think employers are more interested in the result of your degree and not where you went to do the degree. Therefore I would say 1st Aston.
    I’m not sure which employers you’re thinking of. It certainly doesn’t apply to prestigious jobs in big law firms, management consultancy, banking, accountancy, PR, marketing, Teach First, etc.

Friends with Oxford degrees are doing infinitely better for jobs than my friends with Aston/Leicester/Keele degrees, regardless of classification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    1st at aston is equivalent to 1 years experience at primark
    hahahahahahahahahaha :lolwut:

youre crazy bro..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    I have commented on this subject many times, and feel I'm in a better position to than most as I actually have studied the same subject at two different institutions (Physics at Cambridge and UCL). I went from a high 2.2 at Cambridge to a very high (85%) first at UCL.

In terms of what's better, I would say it's better to get a first from anywhere rather than a 2.1 from Oxbridge. However, (especially in the sciences) it is much, much harder to get a first at Oxbridge as the courses are much more difficult. I think that the current system of external examination is a sham and there is absolutely no equality in standards across institutions, rendering classifications completely useless.
    85%?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    I have commented on this subject many times, and feel I'm in a better position to than most as I actually have studied the same subject at two different institutions (Physics at Cambridge and UCL). I went from a high 2.2 at Cambridge to a very high (85%) first at UCL.

In terms of what's better, I would say it's better to get a first from anywhere rather than a 2.1 from Oxbridge. However, (especially in the sciences) it is much, much harder to get a first at Oxbridge as the courses are much more difficult. I think that the current system of external examination is a sham and there is absolutely no equality in standards across institutions, rendering classifications completely useless.
    Can I ask, how did you come about to study at both? Did you leave Cambridge for UCL, or was this studying post-grad at UCL after Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    A first from Aston. Aston's a great university and getting a first is remarkable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pureandmodest)
    A first from Aston. Aston's a great university and getting a first is remarkable
    Spot the Aston applicant

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeropoint)
    Aston has a university?
    No, it's not in Aston. It's in Birmingham city centre.

I'm surprised there are a few people unaware of Aston in this thread. It's hardly a poor or obscure university.

I know now, but I had to look it up. I'd say that once you're above the 2:2 automatic cut-off that many graduate applications have, the reputation of your institution can count for a lot.
    Why would reputation count for a lot? Why not a person's work experience, their personality, and personal qualities.

Something not mentioned (in the posts I've seen so far) is that work placement years are popular at Aston, meaning that students can get a full year's worth of valuable work experience under the belt before graduation. This is one reason why Aston's graduate employment prospects aren't too shabby at all.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=River85;42039469]

Why would reputation count for a lot? Why not a person's work experience, their personality, and personal qualities ?

I think you underestimate the difficulty of getting into Oxbridge, completing the degree with some of the cleverest people in the world, and then coming out with 2.1
    It is impossible to equate 1 degree to another because there are different course contents,learni styles, exams etc.. all you can say is that the most academic style is at Oxbridge, and employers seem to like these graduates over other graduates.
    Has anyone ever noticed that on tsr, we've never seen a thread such as, "graduated from oxford, and now can't find a job"

ReputationRep:
    So many variables in reality for questions like this - not just university ranking, but course, vocational orientation, the type of work you will be seeking - it really is comparing apples with oranges.

(Original post by River85)
    Something not mentioned (in the posts I've seen so far) is that work placement years are popular at Aston, meaning that students can get a full year's worth of valuable work experience under the belt before graduation. This is one reason why Aston's graduate employment prospects aren't too shabby at all.

Yeah Aston is constantly being voted as one of the best universities for graduate employment.

I think students need to stop caring about what TSR thinks and about what employers think.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ltigers;42039663]
    (Original post by River85)

Why would reputation count for a lot? Why not a person's work experience, their personality, and personal qualities ?

I think you underestimate the difficulty of getting into Oxbridge, completing the degree with some of the cleverest people in the world, and then coming out with 2.1
    It is impossible to equate 1 degree to another because there are different course contents,learni styles, exams etc.. all you can say is that the most academic style is at Oxbridge, and employers seem to like these graduates over other graduates.
    Has anyone ever noticed that on tsr, we've never seen a thread such as, "graduated from oxford, and now can't find a job"
    To be fair, I left Oxford with a First, and struggled to find work for several months.
    Though I’d still prefer to have a CV with an Upper Second from Oxford over a First from Aston. Any day of the week. The long-term value of the Oxford brand is undeniable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    What are your thoughts on this?
    What I find more interesting is that you penalised Aston. Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Yeah Aston is constantly being voted as one of the best universities for graduate employment.

I think students need to stop caring about what TSR thinks and about what employers think.
    I suggest that those employers recruit those individuals because they know them.

I'm sure they'd rather know Oxbridge grads to recruit those, it just so happens they have decent links with Aston.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

2.1 oxbridge.

Edit: happy.

ReputationRep:
    This is a difficult debate.

Aston is a decent university. I'd say top 30 1994 group material, and a First Class degree from there will hold you in good stead. But I'd probably take a 2:1 from Oxbridge over it, just purely on a personal gut instinct.

But if we are to talk about Top 10ish Russell Group universities, such as Durham, Bristol, York, Nottingham etc, I'd rather a First from there than a 2:1 from Oxbridge as to go to one of them and get a First is really hard (although not quite as hard as Oxford) and I just feel you'd stand out more.

Tough one really, but that is my balanced answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    What are your thoughts on this?
    One question - better for what? Do you mean better for employment or education, and even then there are a lot of factors to consider (e.g. subject and field of desired employment).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ltigers)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ord+unemployed

I mean it would have been rude not to right?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.