Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

This is my first time on TSR so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section; hopefully with time I will get the hang of this.

I was just curious to see if you think I should apply to Oxford, and whether or not I have a realistic chance.

A bit about me:
    4A*, 7A's and 1B (additional science) at GCSE - I was the highest achiever of the year (this is because I went to a very 'rough' high school- which has also encouraged me to apply as Oxford apparently take this into consideration, especially as my GCSE's aren't outstanding)

AS January results: Economics A, Maths A, Literature A
    Predicted 4A's at AS.

I take economics, maths, english lit. and psychology.

If I do apply I was thinking of going for Economics and Management (yes, I know it is the most competitive course )

Thanks for your time,

ReputationRep:
    You have good grades and know what you want to do. Go for it! What's the worse that could happen?

ReputationRep:
    The success rate is about 9% for that course at Oxford. Nobody on here can tell you for certain that you can or can't apply to Oxford because we just don't know.

What I can say, is that based on my nosing around TSR for the last few years and a quick review of Oxford admissions statistics, if Mr X applied with 11 A*s at GCSE, 4A*s at A-level and had top notch work experience/ECs and a stellar personal statement, even his chances wouldn't be great.

You have a chance. What we can't do, is quantify it. At the end of the day, it's only one choice on your UCAS form, so why not try!?

ReputationRep:
    Your gcses are on the low side for E&M but I've seen people on here (going back quite a few years though ) with worse. As someone else said, what's the worst that could happen and the TSA will help in that respect if you do well

Im an E&M offer holder for Christ church. Feel free to PM me with as many questions as you like, I'm very happy to advise (I think I enjoy it :lol:) so don't hesitate!

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I would go for it, it's only one choice out of 5. I did, and it was the best decision I ever made.

ReputationRep:
    DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN, I'd pay good money for your grades.

ReputationRep:
    Mods: move this to the Oxford forum, it'll get a better response there I believe.

ReputationRep:
    How do I move this thread ? and where can I find the 'Oxford forum'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HBS1995)
    Hey,

This is my first time on TSR so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section; hopefully with time I will get the hang of this.

I was just curious to see if you think I should apply to Oxford, and whether or not I have a realistic chance.

A bit about me:
    4A*, 7A's and 1B (additional science) at GCSE - I was the highest achiever of the year (this is because I went to a very 'rough' high school- which has also encouraged me to apply as Oxford apparently take this into consideration, especially as my GCSE's aren't outstanding)

AS January results: Economics A, Maths A, Literature A
    Predicted 4A's at AS.

I take economics, maths, english lit. and psychology.

If I do apply I was thinking of going for Economics and Management (yes, I know it is the most competitive course )

Thanks for your time,
    Much, MUCH better off applying for a less competative course and switching over. Save yourself the sorrow of a rejection, which is still a substantial possibility if your applying to Oxford even with your decent grades for a standard course let alone the most competitive course.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Well done on your Jan AS results, keep up the good work & like the others have said, it is just 1 choice out of 5 so if you want to, then of course & just make sure you keep yourself motivated & try your best. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oxford 100% takes your background into account. If you come from what you have called a 'rough' school, they will consider this. Also, its important to point out that, unlike cambridge, oxford is more focused on passion and potential anyway, than grades. Besides, those grades are pretty good!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.