Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

When people say someone is educated, what do they mean? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it getting 5 GCSEs A-C including maths and english
    or getting A levels
    or getting a degree

what do you consider an educated individual

ReputationRep:
    I suppose a degree, or degree level study. However, if on Facebook you put your alma mater as the 'University of Life' then you're barred from ever being called educated.

ReputationRep:
    Most people use educated in the context of being civil, level-headed, and informed rather than a particular degree of education.

ReputationRep:
    Educated is really that a person can function well within society. It doesn't have to mean that they've been to university etc but really a lot of people use it in that sense.

ReputationRep:
    'Educated' as a term is relative and progressively changes both with time and social context, as well as between individuals.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on who's saying it, as it has many meanings. It might just mean anyone who has reached a certain level of education, but if I referred to 'an educated individual' I'd mean someone who comes across as very knowledgeable, complete and cultured, whether via formal study, personal study or their interests.

For example, if someone has a first class degree in physics but has no other knowledge, spends their days watching E4 and only reads glittery vampire books, I wouldn't think of them as educated, I'd just consider them a good physicist. Whereas someone with no degree but a very wide range of useful knowledge (this is obviously subjective) might be better educated, if not formally so.

ReputationRep:
    "Education is what is left after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Einstein

ReputationRep:
    Interesting replys so just being civilised is enough to be called educated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.