Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are peoples opinions on arrogance?
    I mean what actually constitutes arrogance in peoples opinions and where is the line between confidence and arrogance? Do people believe it is a prerequisite for most peoples success or is it a recipe for disaster?
    Discuss!

ReputationRep:
    One starts stepping into the realm of arrogance when you start believing that you are in some way superior to others by some merit. Confidence is self-belief and assurance of oneself, when you start using this as a tool to belittle others, that's arrogance.

And no, I don't believe it to be a prerequisite for success. Confidence helps in many cases, arrogance weakens social relations and makes you look bad.

ReputationRep:
    Confidence wins you friends, arrogance loses them.

I have traits of arrogance and I'm working on eliminating them.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say arrogance is when their confidence starts to become annoying and/or rude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0x2a)
    One starts stepping into the realm of arrogance when you start believing that you are in some way superior to others by some merit. Confidence is self-belief and assurance of oneself, when you start using this as a tool to belittle others, that's arrogance.

And no, I don't believe it to be a prerequisite for success. Confidence helps in many cases, arrogance weakens social relations and makes you look bad.
    But surely most people think they are someway to superior to someone? Most people say they would never belittle someone who is not as successful as them. But what happens when they turn successful and they look at someone else below them and think that they are glad they achieved more than they did. Is that arrogance? Despite the fact they have not used it as a tool to belittle others?

Yes, I agree with you here that confidence is helpful whilst arrogance can be more of a hindrance. However, a lot of applicants do have traits of arrogance that employers will overlook. Despite being a point for media exploitation of Lord Sugar's image, The Apprentice is a fine example of this.

ReputationRep:
    I've been called arrogant on numerous occasions.

Has never held me back really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    But surely most people think they are someway to superior to someone? Most people say they would never belittle someone who is not as successful as them. But what happens when they turn successful and they look at someone else below them and think that they are glad they achieved more than they did. Is that arrogance? Despite the fact they have not used it as a tool to belittle others?

Yes, I agree with you here that confidence is helpful whilst arrogance can be more of a hindrance. However, a lot of applicants do have traits of arrogance that employers will overlook. Despite being a point for media exploitation of Lord Sugar's image, The Apprentice is a fine example of this.
    People are all "arrogant" in some way, I never denied that. Obviously I can't give an all-encompassing definition for arrogance because there are too many cases to be concerned about. But if you become a successful person and enjoy the success, that is not arrogance, it is merely a reflection of your current situation. Since you are not belittling anyone, in terms of my definition of "arrogance", that is simply not an arrogant thought.

Yes, I will admit in some cases arrogance is quite useful. It can be seen as empowering and charismatic in some cases. But for the Apprentice, we must also take into example that it is really nothing more than a business reality show, it's mass media and it's meant to entertain.

ReputationRep:
    I get quite wound up by arrogant people because it just comes across as if they are looking down on you because they think they are above you. It's usually because of grades of money etc... which just isn't fair because someone who gets BBB by working hard and doing their best would command a lot more respect from me than someone who got AAB but had the ability to do better and was lazy about it and then goes on to lord it over "less smart" people. I mean, you can only work with what you're given so I don't really see how you can look down on others with worse grades in that respect as I think if they've done their best then they can be very proud of that.

On the other hand, it can be difficult to not sound arrogant when talking about your acheivements. For example, I used to be very lazy in terms of work so I didn't do as well in my gcses as I should've. When I tried to explain that I had the ability to do a lot better some people thought I was being arrogant when in truth I was just being honest. When it came to A-Levels I sorted myself out, did the work and got results befitting my ability an silenced the doubters so to speak. (Not going to post any grades as I'm not looking for attention)

I'm generally quite a humble person but I feel awkward some times when people say things like "you did very well" because I can't say no I didn't because that would make it seem like I'm not grateful for me results but if I say "Yes I did" it sounds like I'm full of myself so usually I just make a little smile and say "oh thanks I was happy with it".

In summary, I think you need to cut some people a little slack when they genuinely do have something to be proud of because they might not necessarily be arrogant about it they're just speaking the truth. However, sometimes people do think they are something special and that really gives me "lip-biting" moments because I'm not a confrontational person but I really want to jump up as say "shut up you're not better than anyone here". It makes it even worse when it's about grades (for previously mentioned reasons) or money, I mean, just because you were born into a rich family and someone else wasn't, why does that make you better, it doesn't give you any god given right to lord it over others as being born into that family is just pure luck. (and genetics)

Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paddy S)
    I get quite wound up by arrogant people because it just comes across as if they are looking down on you because they think they are above you. It's usually because of grades of money etc... which just isn't fair because someone who gets BBB by working hard and doing their best would command a lot more respect from me than someone who got AAB but had the ability to do better and was lazy about it and then goes on to lord it over "less smart" people. I mean, you can only work with what you're given so I don't really see how you can look down on others with worse grades in that respect as I think if they've done their best then they can be very proud of that.

On the other hand, it can be difficult to not sound arrogant when talking about your acheivements. For example, I used to be very lazy in terms of work so I didn't do as well in my gcses as I should've. When I tried to explain that I had the ability to do a lot better some people thought I was being arrogant when in truth I was just being honest. When it came to A-Levels I sorted myself out, did the work and got results befitting my ability an silenced the doubters so to speak. (Not going to post any grades as I'm not looking for attention)

I'm generally quite a humble person but I feel awkward some times when people say things like "you did very well" because I can't say no I didn't because that would make it seem like I'm not grateful for me results but if I say "Yes I did" it sounds like I'm full of myself so usually I just make a little smile and say "oh thanks I was happy with it".

In summary, I think you need to cut some people a little slack when they genuinely do have something to be proud of because they might not necessarily be arrogant about it they're just speaking the truth. However, sometimes people do think they are something special and that really gives me "lip-biting" moments because I'm not a confrontational person but I really want to jump up as say "shut up you're not better than anyone here". It makes it even worse when it's about grades (for previously mentioned reasons) or money, I mean, just because you were born into a rich family and someone else wasn't, why does that make you better, it doesn't give you any god given right to lord it over others as being born into that family is just pure luck. (and genetics)

Rant over.
    I agree completely with this. My ex-girlfriend was the year above me in school and she did well for what she is capable of in her GCSE's. However, when I did my GCSE's, although I did slightly better than she did, it was no where near my potential. When her parents asked me was I happy I was honest and told them not really, as I could have done a lot better but I did not due to my own fault of not working. They told me I was being very arrogant and had a very high opinion of myself. I sorted myself out, like you did, for my A-levels and did very well. However they still paint me as arrogant and kept telling her I was and we eventually split on differences between her parents and I as opposed to differences between her and I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0x2a)
    People are all "arrogant" in some way, I never denied that. Obviously I can't give an all-encompassing definition for arrogance because there are too many cases to be concerned about. But if you become a successful person and enjoy the success, that is not arrogance, it is merely a reflection of your current situation. Since you are not belittling anyone, in terms of my definition of "arrogance", that is simply not an arrogant thought.

Yes, I will admit in some cases arrogance is quite useful. It can be seen as empowering and charismatic in some cases. But for the Apprentice, we must also take into example that it is really nothing more than a business reality show, it's mass media and it's meant to entertain.
    This is why I enjoy the student room; You can have a good debate with level-headed individuals that do not jump up and think you are shoving your opinion down their throat straight away!

I agree with your points. I think that many people mistake confidence for arrogance. The term is thrown around loosely in my opinion when people have certain disagreements. I was labeled arrogant by some friends initially when we were discussing schooling. I said if I had the means to I would send my child to private school IF IT WAS THE BEST SCHOOL IN THE AREA due to the opportunities they receive there. However, they instantly took this as me stating private schools are the way forward and what not and labeled me as arrogant. However they have now realised, after more debates, that that is not what I was stating.

Ah of course, I just used it as an example most people would be aware of!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Arrogance completely puts me off people to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Arrogance completely puts me off people to be honest.
    Where do you draw the line between arrogance and confidence?

ReputationRep:
    An example of confidence would be, "I got 14 A*s, so happy, I hope I can get as good in my A Levels!"

An example of arrogance would be, "Ha! **** you, seriously. I got 14 A*s in my GCSEs, I'm going to get 3 A*s in my A Levels, and I'm going to be earning much, much more than you will when I'm older because you'll just be some prat flipping my burger with those ****ty results. You may as well go kill yourself, I'm going to do amazing, you won't even get into Sixth Form."

A lot of hyperbole, but you can see the distinction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    Where do you draw the line between arrogance and confidence?
    This : /

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjy100)
    A lot of people will often mistake arrogance for heightened levels of self-confidence or a keen sense of ambition - and these people are generally somewhat insecure and envious of certain traits which the person they are deeming 'arrogant' possesses.

Sometimes a person will even have the audacity to label another person who makes outward displays of intellect as arrogant. In fact the word is nearly always used by intellectually inferior people.
    Yes I agree completely. This is why it is difficult to label what arrogance is. Most times I am labeled with it due to my ambition. I am not the most ambitious person in the world but I am ambitious. People usually misplace this for arrogance. I never look down on other people. In fact, I show great interest in other people's career choices that are different to mine so I can gain some insight and understanding for future conversations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.