The Student Room Group
Reply 1
FliP
Do you know the diffrence?

Religion is like God and stuff. Sorry, that's the best explaination I can offer. Pretty useless really...
Reply 2
FliP

yes, religion is a belief, philosophy is a thought
Reply 3
'
{ingnik']yes, religion is a belief, philosophy is a thought

That is so what I meant!
Reply 4
~Sam~
That is so what I meant!

all in the wording my dear :biggrin:
i'm not religious so i'm a bit biased.

Philosophy and Religions are opposites in my opinions.

Philiosophy is the study of what human existance is and everything must be questioned and nothing ever taken for granted.

Religion is an explanation of human existance (made up and always clearly untrue) which u are not allowed to question.

For example in christianity you are not allowed to question the fact that Jesus died for our sins if you are a christian or you will go to hell (according to my christian friends interpretation of the bible)
Reply 6
In my opinion:
Religion = Petty rubbish.
Philosophy = Interesting thoughts
No offence to any religious people, its just an opinion thats all.
Reply 7
Religion = nonsense
Philosophy = waffle

Peas in a pod methinks...
ZJuwelH
Religion = nonsense
Philosophy = waffle

Philosophy - waffle = 0
Reply 9
The simplest awnser is that Philosophy is a way of life, And Religeon is a way of life with an explanation of what happens after death. If that is true, than what else could be considered a Religeon?
Reply 10
ZJuwelH
Religion = nonsense
Philosophy = waffle

Absolutely not. Philosophy is not waffle! In fact the methods used in philosophy are very mathematical, logical and precise.
Reply 11
Philosophy = rational
Religion = irrational
Reply 12
Hummmm Interesting answers...

You'll find that Religion is:

"A personal or institutionalised system grounded in belief for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe".

Quite different from what everyone has said already! And Philosophy is:

"Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline - i.e. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods. "

Andrew.
Reply 13
I've always thought of religion as a particular type of philosophy.

The point in philosophy is to question the meaning of life, how we got here, why we exist, etc. And, now that we're here, how should we live our lives? This incorporates thinking about moral and ethical dilemmas.

Every religion attempts to answer these questions by relating them to a god, many gods, or some other kind of overriding spiritual force.

I'm an atheist, so I believe that philosophy gives much more scope for free thinking as you're not told what to believe. Religious belief should happen this way too, but not many religious people come to their conclusions by thinking it through; instead, they tend to believe what they have been taught (blind faith).
Reply 14
Listen guys, Philosophy=Way of life
Religeon=Explaination of after life
Simple as that.
Reply 15
One of the definitions of philosophy is "the critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs". Religion is a system of beliefs. So philosophy can critcise religion, but not the other way around.
Reply 16
FliP

Generally, if unsure, do the #........ip dip doo the cat's got the flu.....# method. Works a treat. :wink:
Reply 17
So here's an interesting question: is Marxism a philosophy or a religion?
Tending towards Marxism as a religion myself- a lot of it is based on belief..
T.

Latest