Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

does having pre-booked holidays hinder your chances of employment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether an employer would reject you because you had booked a summer holiday for a week or so. I have an interview tomorrow & i have to go away for a weekend next month to sort out an inheritance-do you think this will harm my chances? I'm not even sure i'd be working those days as shifts weren't stipulated but who knows.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't make any difference and have never known for it to.
    Always best to make them aware before hand rather than booking time off when you first start rather than letting them know when you get employment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No.

No need to tell them in interview either, they should honour arrangements you've made before starting. Though they may be able to force you into taking it unpaid.

In personal experience it has never been a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on company though.

If it aint mentioned in interview and/or induction they dont have to honour the time off you need. Sainsburys done this to me a few months back

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorting out an inheritance is different from a holiday, so you should be alright.

ReputationRep:
    It might do but it depends on the duration of the holiday and when.
    In job interviews they sometimes ask you if you have any holidays booked in the next 6 months so it may be a good idea to mention it there.

I wouldn't bother mentioning the inheritance to them, but I would definitely mention the summer holiday if asked.
    If it's a week or so then you should be fine.

Best of luck with your interview tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid.Snake)
    It might do but it depends on the duration of the holiday and when.
    In job interviews they sometimes ask you if you have any holidays booked in the next 6 months so it may be a good idea to mention it there.

I wouldn't bother mentioning the inheritance to them, but I would definitely mention the summer holiday if asked.
    If it's a week or so then you should be fine.

Best of luck with your interview tomorrow!
    i don't have any summer holidays booked, i was just curious about it-it's just the weekend off that i need.

Thank you for your replies everyone

ReputationRep:
    If you need the time off then definitely mention it at interview, they'll only reject you for it if they need you to be in then (eg if several of the other staff already have that weekend booked off and they'd be understaffed without you). If this is the case then if you got the job after not telling them you'd just be refused that time off.

Although it's only a part-time minimum wage job I still got my current job after telling them I had already booked 4 weeks away leaving 2 weeks after my first shift and then after a further 2 months another 2 months off. I think employers are more understanding with time off you may have had arranged for a long time before starting and had no way of letting them know earlier about as I doubt I'd have gotten that time off if I'd waited until starting to ask!

(Original post by Dragonista)
    No need to tell them in interview either, they should honour arrangements you've made before starting. Though they may be able to force you into taking it unpaid.
    You do need to tell them in the interview (or at least before you are given the job) in order to guarantee the time off. It's not when you make the arrangements that matters it's when you ask for the time off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StacFace)
    You do need to tell them in the interview (or at least before you are given the job) in order to guarantee the time off. It's not when you make the arrangements that matters it's when you ask for the time off.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Whether you have a holiday booked or not is of no concern to the interviewer. I've had this scenario happen twice and didn't mention it until after I actually got the job, there was never any problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonista)
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Whether you have a holiday booked or not is of no concern to the interviewer. I've had this scenario happen twice and didn't mention it until after I actually got the job, there was never any problem.
    I never said you wouldn't get the time off, I said in order to guarantee you will have the time off you need to tell them before you start. Otherwise they are within their rights to insist you work, as one person above has already said happened to them with Sainsbury's.

If they know about the holiday when they accept you then it's guaranteed off, if you wait until you've got it then it's subject to their normal rules on allowing time off. Therefore if you need the time off it's best to tell them at interview, only if you'd be willing to cancel your plans for work should you tell them any later. You could get a weekend off last minute having worked in a job for some time but I still wouldn't recommend booking a weekend away then waiting that late to ask for it off.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that it depends on the sort of job, number of people attending the interview, timings, their arrangements, etc.

I went for a mass interview with several hundred other people and it seemed promising, but I went on holiday the day they started their training regime to open a new restaurant. They could either take me and not be able to train me (and I would come back after they'd opened anyway) or they could pick someone who could work the hours and was available.

I think holiday was one of the factors which meant I didn't get that job as the rest of the interview went well.

It probably just depends.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you tell them! Also depends on how long your holiday is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s4mm13)
    Shouldn't make any difference and have never known for it to.
    Always best to make them aware before hand rather than booking time off when you first start rather than letting them know when you get employment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It does in certain situations.
    eg if you're applying for a christmas temp job and you're going to be gone for a week over Christmas n new years they're less likely to accept you because that's when they need you. As with their busy period in summer if you're a summer temp etc.
    Or if it's a temp contract for a couple months and you'll be gone for a week or two they might just pick someone else.
    It depends on the employer and type of job you're going for.

For a regular job it shouldn't have any effect =]

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.