Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just thought it would be interesting to find out who else on here is in a band and what they play, what gigs you do ect

Personally I'm in an acoustic band and a hard rock group.

Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Used to be in a metal band playing bass... we were pretty rubbish Played a few gigs though, had good fun.

I've spent years trying to get a decent band going (and I'd prefer to play guitar really, but then, that's why there's such a bass player shortage). I just find that musicians are incredibly unreliable. E.g. When somebody decides to quit, they don't even tell you, they just stop replying to your texts until you give up on them and find someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, we lost a guitarist a couple of months ago for the rock group, training a new one is proving quite difficult, especially when the old one could sweep :L

The other members are pretty good though, our bassist learnt guitar first and switched to bass due to the shortage, as you say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Currently in a band as a drummer, but occasionally I play bass and do vocals.
    In terms of gigs and stuff, we usually just go around to national pubs and perform there to try and gain publicity, that and the fact we get free drinks

Our band members consist of two brothers and two best friends, me having the best friend, probably a recipe for disaster but hey ho it is what it is.

ReputationRep:
    National pubs? Sounds impressive :P we don't get free drinks, but we do get paid, so pro's and cons I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What pubs do you go to?! None of the landlords we ask will pay us, the most we will get is a tenner for the taxi home haha

ReputationRep:
    We're covers bands, a lot of our local pubs do live music so are used to paying for it. Admittedly it's normally with some help from parents, but the least we've been paid for a pub (not venue) gig was £75 between 5 of us. Apart from charity stufffsss.

We do tend to arrange prices with them first though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06Dandod)
    We're covers bands, a lot of our local pubs do live music so are used to paying for it. Admittedly it's normally with some help from parents, but the least we've been paid for a pub (not venue) gig was £75 between 5 of us. Apart from charity stufffsss.

We do tend to arrange prices with them first though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice, if you can, look into performing at the Brighton venues, bands have a much stronger chance of being seen within the general area. Looking into going there in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    I might take a look

Haven't written any originals in a while though, probably worth getting some new material...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I make music on my own because **** finding people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I make music on my own because **** finding people.
    If only I could drum...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I play bass and acoustic guitar.

Used to play in Rock/Punk bands when I was younger. Played at a lot of the local pubs/rock clubs, but nothing major.

ReputationRep:
    Havent done the band thing for a while. We lost our drummer because he didn't have the time in the end and our guitarist is on hiatus with his first born.

Still, we were played on BBC Radio York the other day and got the F word on air. That's enough for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Still, we were played on BBC Radio York the other day and got the F word on air. That's enough for me!
    Achievement! What's the band called?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'm in a five piece alt-indie-rock band from the North East. I play rhythm guitar mainly, but I also play bass, keys and sing a bit too. Would like to say I'm a good guitar player but in comparison with our lead guitarist I'm nothing special. I stick to writing our songs, that's the only thing I'm half decent at. :')
    Going into the studio to record next week, can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowninginsound)
    Hey!
    I'm in a five piece alt-indie-rock band from the North East. I play rhythm guitar mainly, but I also play bass, keys and sing a bit too. Would like to say I'm a good guitar player but in comparison with our lead guitarist I'm nothing special. I stick to writing our songs, that's the only thing I'm half decent at. :')
    Going into the studio to record next week, can't wait!
    Any chance of a listen to a couple of your tracks? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not yet, sorry. Maybe in a couple of weeks! Got any of your band's songs I could listen to?

ReputationRep:
    This is a country ish cover of one of my songs, normally a pop punk thing but that band is lacking a guitarist :L

http://youtu.be/WEsAhBvVb7k

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06Dandod)
    Achievement! What's the band called?
    http://www.reverbnation.com/UTGRock

The track "Anytime" was the one that got airplay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    http://www.reverbnation.com/UTGRock

The track "Anytime" was the one that got airplay.
    That's a cool track, I like the chorus vocals, kinda MCR/lost prophet-y

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.