Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, I'll be 20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    yep, ill be 21 in September.

ReputationRep:
    I turned 20 shortly after arriving at uni, and honestly, it wasn't an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Am 24 and start uni in September

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will be 23 when I start uni

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 atm. Will turn 21 half-way through uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valentas)
    I'm 20 atm. Will turn 21 half-way through uni.
    this

ReputationRep:
    Yep! I'm 20 at the moment. I'll be 21 by this September.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    22 starting english Lang degree in Sep. landed I've waited I would have been a **** student at 18!

ReputationRep:
    Yup I'll be 21 in my first term

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you feel like a 'mature student'? I dislike the label and it makes me different from the other students really.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't. Maybe I feel that I will go to learn, not pre-drink and drink and something that a lot of young people go to experience because I simply don't care. I guess I'm just wiser than 18 year-old

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you feel like a 'mature student'? I dislike the label and it makes me different from the other students really.
    At 20 you won't qualify as a mature student, the official threshold is 21. Not that being over 21 makes any difference. It is only used for the purposes of assessing your application, if you are citing alternative qualifications or work/life skills for your application. It only makes a difference finance wise if you can show you have been finannacially independent for 3 years, otherwise you are not mature until you hit 25.

No one will label you as "the mature student", unless you do. Equally there is no need to try and match the behaviour of others, if it abnormal to you. Be yourself, but try and be open to making new friends without demanding to know how old they are or offering up you age without being asked. Maturity and chronological age are not synonymous.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like i'll be 21 before I start university...

ReputationRep:
    21 when I go.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    The mature student thing is no problem. They probably won't notice that you're a bit older unless you tell them. I went back to college last year at 21 with 16 year olds fresh out of school who had no idea I was older until it came up in converstaion. I have milked the whole being older thing in my French oral exams as I have life experience of the topics that come up, such as work, living alone, budgeting yadda yadda. I don't count myself as a mature student, but its handy with the finance thing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ill turn 20 in the September that we start after re sitting a year at college and being the oldest in my original year anyway - was a bit worried all this time ill be the only one !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I'll be 21

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I turn 21 in February

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.