Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WPC to sue petrol garage owner when he dialled 999 emergency Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Apologies for DM)....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ping-kerb.html

Guy dials 999 to report (think it was a burglary) WPC turns up, trips over a kerb at night time and is now suing him because he didn't perform his duty to ensure her safety (shhhh- pretend for a minute that the police aren't supposed to ensure our safety...).....

Oh and this all happened 7 months ago (so it was clearly a serious accident....)....

Dangerous precedent!

Anyone fancy complaining to Norfolk Constabulary:

[email protected]

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot about the interplay between the two people involved that, whilst giving background, is utterly irrelevant to her claim.

Basically, it seems apparent to me that he has discharged all his obligations. The kerb was in an area not normally accessed by people at night. That, combined with the poor lighting, should have given a reasonable person cause for caution in their walking - and an emergency services professional cause to turn on a torch if it was that bad. A kerb is not an unusual thing to find in a petrol station.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand this. I mean, if my house had been burgled and I called the police, I'd probably be too shocked/ stressed to explicitly mention every single step/ pothole/ tuft of grass in my garden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    I don't understand this. I mean, if my house had been burgled and I called the police, I'd probably be too shocked/ stressed to explicitly mention every single step/ pothole/ tuft of grass in my garden.
    I don't even think it's the shock or stress that would get you off the hook, it's more "she should look where she's going", and "wtf was she going to do if the burglar was there" that means it's her fault and she should shut up out of embarrassment. It would actually make more sense for her to sue those who trained her for it being inadequate, but in the meantime, her constabulary should wait until her case is thrown out then they can boot her out for being detrimental to the trust the public should have in them - plus gross incompetence.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

I sincerely hope this greedy ***** loses her claim and loses her job. Idiots like her should not be police officers.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey shes a bit chunky, wonder if she done any damage to that kerb.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.