Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

The Church voices opinion against welfare-cuts Watch

ReputationRep:
    The top headline on the BBC news yesterday was the Church's criticism of the governments welfare cuts. The Church of England maintained its support for the poor and needy, blaming the government and media for a persecution of those on benefits.

Firstly I'd like to question what right the Church has to say it understands the needs of the poor when it is so out of touch with modern society. Now I understand fundamental principles of any religion are helping those who are needy. But I can't see how the leaders of the CofE, whose support base lies mainly in the middle classes, would have any clue what it is like to be on benefits, to be in poverty and to be out of work.

Also, it irritated me that the supposedly unbiased BBC chose to use this as its top headline. It wasn't a top story on the websites of newspapers and it seems the BBC chose to air the story opportunistically in its vendetta against this government.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Because the Church claims that it is a) the arbiter of morals b) that their godman Jesus came with a message, to care for the poor, the destitute, and the needy. That message is one of the bedrock messages of Christianity wherever Christianity is to be found. So if the Church voices its opinion in this way, it cannot be blamed since that is one of its central tenets. Of course, priests live in luxury and wealth, and many Church members are rich particularly in affluent America, but more often than not, the Church maintains that it protects the vulnerable and needy. Some Churches here in the West are not pure Christian Churches, they have been infiltrated for at least more than a hundred years by subversive elements that have been introduced to it or which has been allowed to creep in, that of Freemasonry and occultism. This is especially so with Protestant Churches. But Catholic Churches have not been immune.

ReputationRep:
    I am not interested in the opinions of these people. What makes them so qualified that they get airtime in the media?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.