Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is this still profitable? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't think where else to put it. This is something that's just occurred to me - how is teleshopping still profitable? I'm not talking about QVC and suchlike, I'm referring to the inane crap you get late at night when nobody else is watching, stuff like that relentless steam mop advert, "Insanity" fitness programme, etc.
    It seems to me like this would be a monumental waste of money. First you've got to pay money for a host, and a set, and equipment hire. Then you've got to pay for all of those people who give "testimonials," and then after that the TV station is going to want some payment for airtime. Then, they try and sell you some obviously poorly made product at some ridiculously high price, with extortionate postage costs loaded onto that. If you look at the reviews for some of these products it's a wonder they don't break when they're demonstrating them.
    An example - a metallic credit card holder called the "Metafun Wallet" sells for £29.99 plus £9.99 postage, when the exact same thing can be found on Amazon for £1.99 plus free postage. The sales pitch is crap, but they must be making money because these things are still on the air.

Just something that occurred to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddlesnap)
    Hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't think where else to put it. This is something that's just occurred to me - how is teleshopping still profitable? I'm not talking about QVC and suchlike, I'm referring to the inane crap you get late at night when nobody else is watching, stuff like that relentless steam mop advert, "Insanity" fitness programme, etc.
    It seems to me like this would be a monumental waste of money. First you've got to pay money for a host, and a set, and equipment hire. Then you've got to pay for all of those people who give "testimonials," and then after that the TV station is going to want some payment for airtime. Then, they try and sell you some obviously poorly made product at some ridiculously high price, with extortionate postage costs loaded onto that. If you look at the reviews for some of these products it's a wonder they don't break when they're demonstrating them.
    An example - a metallic credit card holder called the "Metafun Wallet" sells for £29.99 plus £9.99 postage, when the exact same thing can be found on Amazon for £1.99 plus free postage. The sales pitch is crap, but they must be making money because these things are still on the air.

There's your answer. Don't need many suckers at that price.

ReputationRep:
    I think theyre cheap shows made by the channel companies themself, as anything else put on at that time is pretty much a loss, so why not try sell random crap?

ReputationRep:
    Teleshopping is for people who can't use the internet? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Well the internet is pretty much ubiquitous, and I think providing you were sober common sense would tell you to do some research into what you were buying and the company you were buying from.

Of course, I may be wrong - there are some incredibly stupid people in the world.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    TV airtime is generally expensive, but for hours at the dead of night it's likely to be a lot cheaper. I suspect the Internet probably hasn't helped with their profit margins, but on the other hand, who even bought their rubbish before the Internet came along? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    As Norton1 said, some people get taken in by the sales pitch and buy one (usually because of the 'OMG BUY IT NOW IT COSTS £149 BUT WE'VE JUST DROPPED IT TO £29.99 OMG OMG OMG YOU MUST BUY IT NOW').

And it probably costs about £2 to make so they have made a huge profit on one item.

And lets face it, sticking teleshopping on is more profitable than a 'We will return at 6:00am' message.

ReputationRep:
    its strange i see stuff all the time and think , how on earth does that make business
    sense , look at this laser pen on amazon , its selling for 99p , including delivery

when i post a letter it costs 60p , thers some kind of amazon fees im sure thats about 50p
    and then a jiffy bag and cost of the laser

errrr , it just dont make sense ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/laser-pointe.../dp/B00CBVPS4E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddlesnap)
    Hello all,

When you are doing late night maths and your head feels like it's going to explode (like tonight) you often tend to venture onto the teleshop channels and order a blender or something. Just to pass the time

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.