ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind this forum. 140 characters is hardly anything and while I can appreciate an interest in making a forum where debate and discussion is more accessible, I think it's quite difficult to construct any form of meaningful argument within that character restriction.

The fact that the character limit follows the limit used on Twitter makes me wonder whether much consideration went into how appropriate it would be for a debate on an internet forum.

Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of a debating forum where members aren't able to type paragraphs and paragraphs is a good idea, but I think for any of the debates to be worthwhile, people need to be able to type at least a couple of sentences.

To me, a 140 character limit seems more appropriate for a chat-type subforum.

Am I alone in thinking this?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I see it as a kind of thing that will get people excited for, lets say, a week at most, before everyone gets bored of it and forgets about it.

On the other hand... Perhaps this is TSRs idea of an April Fools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    I see it as a kind of thing that will get people excited for, lets say, a week at most, before everyone gets bored of it and forgets about it.

On the other hand... Perhaps this is TSRs idea of an April Fools.

Dammit, you're probably right!

Well played, TSR. :cool:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Although it certainly wasn't the main consideration when making the forum, I think the accessibility of the debate will be one of the attractions to the forum. You're right that for arguments to be completely meaningful, they're going to need more than 140 characters (even your post is over that limit), however, in my personal experience I've had friends and chatted with people on TSR who've steered away from debate here because of how intimidating it is. Short, digestible rebuttals and arguments not only force you to word your point eloquently and succinctly, but it makes it a lot more accessible, and could hopefully act as a "gateway" into debate as whole.

Maybe it could do with being a bit longer than 140 characters (300-400?), but still at a point in which things are limited to being accessible.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What TSR needs is a video from the design & community team describing how innovative the micro-debating forum is in a similar manner to Google Nose, Gmail Blue and Twttr. :lol:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh dear Metrobeans..

ReputationRep:
    Why is it still here? I was convinced it was an April Fool's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    That was exactly my thought. I am confused now. So it wasn't an April Fools joke? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Although it certainly wasn't the main consideration when making the forum, I think the accessibility of the debate will be one of the attractions to the forum. You're right that for arguments to be completely meaningful, they're going to need more than 140 characters (even your post is over that limit), however, in my personal experience I've had friends and chatted with people on TSR who've steered away from debate here because of how intimidating it is. Short, digestible rebuttals and arguments not only force you to word your point eloquently and succinctly, but it makes it a lot more accessible, and could hopefully act as a "gateway" into debate as whole.

Maybe it could do with being a bit longer than 140 characters (300-400?), but still at a point in which things are limited to being accessible.
    Explaining that took more than 140. :daydreaming:

(Original post by ArtGoblin)
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    That was exactly my thought. I am confused now. So it wasn't an April Fools joke? :erm:
    Come now, no sane establishment would introduce a serious change on the first of April.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think it just takes time to add/remove forums.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    I think you win the prize for spotting the April Fools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Come now, no sane establishment would introduce a serious change on the first of April.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think it just takes time to add/remove forums.
    Google introduced GMail on April 1st... arguably they're not a sane establishment though
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Vikki1805)
    Explaining that took more than 140. :daydreaming:
    I just love the sound of my own voice too much.

(Original post by cpdavis)
    I think you win the prize for spotting the April Fools
    Tbh, I think it should be the other way around. There should be a punishment for not realising it was an April Fool's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I just love the sound of my own voice too much.
    That would make sense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.