Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Close friend moving away, half way across world, depressed, heartbroken..... watch

Hello all,

Basically I am posting here because I have a very very close friend, who's been there for the last 4years of my life (since college), he has supported me through thick and thin. We met at college in 2009, and we gradually got close and bonded, he had profound issues with mental health, anxiety and had a similar background.

Been born prematurely with cerebral palsy and not really fitting into society didn't help me either, much like in his case, but when I met him, we could share our frustrations with the world. Help each other on a bad day....I used to go for 'time outs' with him when he wasn't feeling great. Did my very best.
    We both worked hard at college, and subsequently we both went onto university. I lived 250miles away in a city campus at uni. I basically struggled to cope with fitting in, had low self esteem and felt worthless. Never had courage to tell lecturers. Had a few snide remarks from lecturers too which made my life harder, made me more bitter at the world. I had no friends living away, nor did I believe in my ability to make friends. I spiralled out of control, isolated myself, was too nervous to go to lectures because of the enormous backlog of work I missed due to the depression.

Could never get out of bed was so ill, and on top of it all my finances were all over the place. I couldn't eat, nor did I want to. I wanted to actually die. Felt like an academic failure, because I worked my ass off to get into this particular uni and I was failing and I blamed myself....

Anyhow, my friend put up with my moping and misery in my depression for months all the whilst he was also at uni in our hometown getting great marks.
    He used to Skype me everynight for weeks, until I reached breaking point and withdrew two weeks before the end of course.

I came home, recovered slowly whilst on meds, and regular GP appts. He still supported me, and I reapplied to a uni last September at home on same course as him, because it's also a similar course to the one I was doing. My life changed for the better, I'm doing well in uni, have a GF, and he is my best friend. Possibly best mate I ever had. He still supports me to this day with my low moods and anxieties, we support one another.
    We meet each week once a week for a day out for chats, usually go for coffee, dinner etc.
    anyway to the point.....he just told me he's moving halfway across world to be with his family, one of his folks lost his job and was offered another one in abroad. He's going at end of year....I feel heartbroken, lost and sad, and will feel alone. He was my only true friend that understood my life from a anxiety point. I will miss him, and am very excited for him at same time. How can I get over this? I have a feeling my depression will surface, and I worry about this.

Just come off meds, don't want to be back on them, someone please help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello all,

Basically I am posting here because I have a very very close friend, who's been there for the last 4years of my life (since college), he has supported me through thick and thin. We met at college in 2009, and we gradually got close and bonded, he had profound issues with mental health, anxiety and had a similar background.

Been born prematurely with cerebral palsy and not really fitting into society didn't help me either, much like in his case, but when I met him, we could share our frustrations with the world. Help each other on a bad day....I used to go for 'time outs' with him when he wasn't feeling great. Did my very best.
    We both worked hard at college, and subsequently we both went onto university. I lived 250miles away in a city campus at uni. I basically struggled to cope with fitting in, had low self esteem and felt worthless. Never had courage to tell lecturers. Had a few snide remarks from lecturers too which made my life harder, made me more bitter at the world. I had no friends living away, nor did I believe in my ability to make friends. I spiralled out of control, isolated myself, was too nervous to go to lectures because of the enormous backlog of work I missed due to the depression.

Could never get out of bed was so ill, and on top of it all my finances were all over the place. I couldn't eat, nor did I want to. I wanted to actually die. Felt like an academic failure, because I worked my ass off to get into this particular uni and I was failing and I blamed myself....

Anyhow, my friend put up with my moping and misery in my depression for months all the whilst he was also at uni in our hometown getting great marks.
    He used to Skype me everynight for weeks, until I reached breaking point and withdrew two weeks before the end of course.

I came home, recovered slowly whilst on meds, and regular GP appts. He still supported me, and I reapplied to a uni last September at home on same course as him, because it's also a similar course to the one I was doing. My life changed for the better, I'm doing well in uni, have a GF, and he is my best friend. Possibly best mate I ever had. He still supports me to this day with my low moods and anxieties, we support one another.
    We meet each week once a week for a day out for chats, usually go for coffee, dinner etc.
    anyway to the point.....he just told me he's moving halfway across world to be with his family, one of his folks lost his job and was offered another one in abroad. He's going at end of year....I feel heartbroken, lost and sad, and will feel alone. He was my only true friend that understood my life from a anxiety point. I will miss him, and am very excited for him at same time. How can I get over this? I have a feeling my depression will surface, and I worry about this.

Just come off meds, don't want to be back on them, someone please help.
    I can understand a lot of your post. Can I message you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Watching someone who dear one of you and going very far from you is very worst feeling.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.