The Student Room Group

The subculture of the Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr famous

First take a look at this. An event where a hated Facebook famous **** gets cream thrown over him in a tumblr meetup in Leeds. A meetup consisting of a hundred or so people who's only aspiratons seem to be how many likes they can get on Facebook.

It seems an apparent subculture in our generation with these type. Almost everything about these people are simular. Same dress sense, same music taste, same shallow minds.

It seems sad that so many of our generation aspire to be like these. And I can imagine this shallow side of our generation can make people feel isolated. It feels to me like everything is revolved around Facebook and Twitter these days so it's no wonder why these people feel a sense of achievement with the label "Facebook famous" or "Twitter famous."

How apparent is this to the people of TSR?

Scroll to see replies

i have seen a few of these fb famous people, i find it really weird. they are obviously very egocentric but the ones i find weird are the people who follow them, rather than the fame whores themselves... i just thing... WHY are you following this person? why are you such a saddo? get on with your own life!
Reply 2
Original post by Bellissima
i have seen a few of these fb famous people, i find it really weird. they are obviously very egocentric but the ones i find weird are the people who follow them, rather than the fame whores themselves... i just thing... WHY are you following this person? why are you such a saddo? get on with your own life!

One thing I noticed was the majority of the "Facebook/Twitter famous" are guys and that they're mostly followed by girls.
Reply 4
Original post by LordBradburn

Obviously some relish in 'TSR fame'

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2298365
I dunno about Facebook/Twitter famous, but I know a fair few 'Tumblr famous' people, and whilst a few of them are genuinely just follower whores, most of them seem to be pretty nice people who genuinely post good stuff and therefore have a lot of followers. There's always a degree of whorishness about it, but this is almost always enabled/encouraged by the followers, IMHO.
Reply 6
I can't stand it especially the ones that are constantly needing attention by posting videos of themselves e.g. Drinking piss or eating their own poo christ sake people have no self respect and dignity...
Reply 7
Original post by Miracle Day
One thing I noticed was the majority of the "Facebook/Twitter famous" are guys and that they're mostly followed by girls.

it is the same on TSR... i aint complaining tho'

:sexface:
Reply 8
Whatever your feelings, there's no need to resort to physical assault.
What of the YouTube famous?

yes, i'd like to know if anyone here knows one in real life, like is at the same school or something... how they act and how they have changed etc.

if they are famous for posting vids of themselves singing/whatever then it's not so bad... but i think they should keep all that to youtube. the strange ones are where they are not really even doing anything, just posting statuses and pics. it annoys me when they all appear on newsfeed where friends have liked them or whatever.
Reply 11
Original post by someonesomewherexx
What of the YouTube famous?

Oh, they are entertaining.
Reply 12
i know a 'fb' famous person at my school. it is so strange as he has 50k followers and more, yet at school noone pays him any attention.
whats the most worrying thing is that this kid is in year 8 and 17year old girls are commenting on his photo saying how hot he is!?
Reply 13
Original post by Gamerad
i know a 'fb' famous person at my school. it is so strange as he has 50k followers and more, yet at school noone pays him any attention.
whats the most worrying thing is that this kid is in year 8 and 17year old girls are commenting on his photo saying how hot he is!?

who is it?
I've really grown to hate this whole Internet popularity contest culture. I can see why someone who gets no attention in everyday life could get addicted to such a thing.. But, I believe 1 true friend to share experiences with is better than 5000 Facebook friends.

I no longer use Facebook, twitter etc... It just seemed not really me. Yet, people have heart attacks when I tell them I got no fb for them to add. XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I didn't realise people could be facebook famous :s-smilie:
Reply 16

First take a look at this. An event where a hated Facebook famous **** gets cream thrown over him in a tumblr meetup in Leeds. A meetup consisting of a hundred or so people who's only aspiratons seem to be how many likes they can get on Facebook.

It seems an apparent subculture in our generation with these type. Almost everything about these people are simular. Same dress sense, same music taste, same shallow minds.

It seems sad that so many of our generation aspire to be like these. And I can imagine this shallow side of our generation can make people feel isolated. It feels to me like everything is revolved around Facebook and Twitter these days so it's no wonder why these people feel a sense of achievement with the label "Facebook famous" or "Twitter famous."

On Bebo there used to be those sad 'Bebo's 100 hotest' and 'Bebo's Kings and Queen's'. When I was 13 I kissed up to groups like that once or twice but I slowly realised they were shallow and superficial in what they offered.

However, if someone does take lots of photos of themselves and dresses in a certain fashion because they choose to, no one should tell them they can't. Part of realising not to like groups like that entails choice, and I know now that people have an individual component that makes them unique. Therefore, I would say you shouldn't blame the person who leads a trend or follows one freely if they want to or like to. It's their life after all. Groups which glamourise and idolise others for their fashion sense are stupid however.

Meh. I don't let it bother me, they're all 15 year olds who are too young for pubs/clubs but too old to do kid things, and so they do this. They'll grow out of it.

There was one in my city a while back though, which was annoying. Skinny indie kids as far as the eye could see.
Reply 18
I despise seeing these sorts of people all over my newsfeed every single day, it seems to be the Facebook famous more than anything, a few of the Tumblr famous people are actually nice people who post decent stuff to get so many followers, whereas on Facebook it's just pointless arguments and 'banter' which causes even more trouble.

I completely agree with you, WHY are people obessed with these Facebook famous people? Their followers act like they're God when in reality they're cretinous creatures. I've seen them in Manchester, and people surround them! Why, oh why? They're nothing special.

I had the displeasure of meeting the Jake McManus featured in OP's video and all I can is he's an egocentric c*nt. The funny thing is these people are going to amount to nothing as they let their 'fame' take over their lives, quite a large majority of them even stopped education because they got abused/harassed. Where are they going to be in 5 or 10 years time when everyone has moved on to University and work and has forgot about them? Absolutely nowhere.
Who's the guy that got cream thrown on him?

Quick Reply

Latest