Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm a year 13 student with 5 offers for English, German and Spanish, my favourite by far being the combined honours course at Durham, which requires A*AA. I would absolutely love to go to Durham and the course looks great, however I haven't firmed it yet.

What's putting me off is the amount of stress - I feel ill whenever I think of results day, as the idea that I don't know where I'm going to uni until a month before terrifies me. Furthermore, I've spent the last few years slogging away at exams, only to go to uni to spend another 4 years doing so - it just seems ridiculous! I like learning and studying, but I just feel like my whole life is revolving around passing exams!

Any advice on what I should do? Would particularly like to hear from those who took a Gap Year for similar reasons, although many thanks for all replies

ReputationRep:
    i also took a gap year for this reason. exams were causing me a ridiculous amount of stress and so was the thought of going to university. i am currently in my gap year and have been just working the whole way through. it's only been excellent. having a job gives you an indication of what your life would be like without uni and you're also earning money and have the freedom to enjoy it for a year and spend days relaxing, doing whatever you want really. for me, working for a year has been great and it's really confirmed for me that i want to go to university and how much i miss being in education, and now i feel excited to go in september and ready to dive straight back in to learning go for it! speak to durham about deferring your place as you don't want to throw that away if it's the uni of your dreams. you won't regret having a gap year, as long as you do something with it and don't just sit indoors lonely. go travelling, work or something, just have fun and it will be the best thing you could have done good luck xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissabishopx)
    i also took a gap year for this reason. exams were causing me a ridiculous amount of stress and so was the thought of going to university. i am currently in my gap year and have been just working the whole way through. it's only been excellent. having a job gives you an indication of what your life would be like without uni and you're also earning money and have the freedom to enjoy it for a year and spend days relaxing, doing whatever you want really. for me, working for a year has been great and it's really confirmed for me that i want to go to university and how much i miss being in education, and now i feel excited to go in september and ready to dive straight back in to learning go for it! speak to durham about deferring your place as you don't want to throw that away if it's the uni of your dreams. you won't regret having a gap year, as long as you do something with it and don't just sit indoors lonely. go travelling, work or something, just have fun and it will be the best thing you could have done good luck xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply when did you decide to do the gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I took a 2 year gap year. First year I went to Holland (because I wanted to go to uni in Holland) and the second year I saved up. I've met a lot of people who did some awesome things in their gap years; travelling round the US or canada, climbing the Himalayas, learning a martial art in Thailand, working holidays in Austrailia. Part of me really wishes I'd been able to go somewhere far away, but just getting out of the UK and having the responsibility of a job teaches you a lot about yourself and where your strengths and weaknesses really are. You should check out STA travel, they have some good deals and friends have told me that they are a reliable company

ReputationRep:
    Definetly take one. If nothing else you'll hopefully get a decent job and get some money saved up for uni as well as some time to reflect on your future. I'm on one and its made me decide that its unlikely i'll go to uni as I enjoy earning a wage and I dislike studying. Also, if you can, go travelling! You may never get another chance to do it again!

ReputationRep:
    If you can get Durham to defer your entry then definately. Especially as your going to study languages travelling for a year will be invaluable to your degree, you can go and seriously improve your lang skills whilst developing your appreciation for different cultures. Also it may by the sounds of it give you the break you are looking for/take some stress off you. Now that I have decided to defer my entry it has relieved so much pressure of me, but at the same time still make me more determined to get an A* as for deferred entry I have to achieve this grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RikersIsland)
    If you can get Durham to defer your entry then definately. Especially as your going to study languages travelling for a year will be invaluable to your degree, you can go and seriously improve your lang skills whilst developing your appreciation for different cultures. Also it may by the sounds of it give you the break you are looking for/take some stress off you. Now that I have decided to defer my entry it has relieved so much pressure of me, but at the same time still make me more determined to get an A* as for deferred entry I have to achieve this grade.
    Oh are you in a similar situation? how easy was it to defer? And what are you intending to do in your year out? Sorry for all the questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    Oh are you in a similar situation? how easy was it to defer? And what are you intending to do in your year out? Sorry for all the questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm deferring as I believe the grades I will achieve can get me into a better uni than the offers I have recieved this year, but with one of the offers I have now (which I want to be an insurance uni for next yr) I am in the process of trying to get it deferred which seems most likely like it will happen, otherwise I will just re-apply if needed. It can be pretty easy to defer, you have to call the uni direct and talk to them to discuss terms and conditions, I think it varies for each uni though tbh. Also they want to see you doing something productive for the year so you'll have to tell them what you will be doing roughly, otherwise they won't bother with you.
    But like I said it varies from uni to uni.

Well I want to study law so I'm trying to get as much law work experience as possible and some human rights work + will do the typical thing of interrailing as I know loads of ppl doing this, I think many this year are deferring/gap years anyway so they can come out in an economy in a much better state/take a break from edu. I just got my brochure from projects abroad today and planning for a project with them, if you visit their website, you can request a free brochure and look at trips available. Also as your doing languages you can go on one of those teach english abroad trips which can benefit your foreign lang skills vastly/looks really fun too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.